PDA

View Full Version : That Alabama FB coach got screwed

doc-catfish
05-04-2003, 03:47 AM
For those of you sports minded fellas (and ladies),

You may have heard the news about Alabama football coach Mike Price, who was fired from UA on Saturday before even coaching one game because of "unprofessional conduct" which included a trip to a strip club in Pensacola, FL during a pro-am golf tournament and a $1000 room service bill charged to his room by a woman (I'm assuming NOT his wife) who was staying in his hotel room.

Not all the details are out yet, but Price had apparently been previously warned by the new UA president about his public behavior which apparently included some all night parties with his coaches at Tuscaloosa bars.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1052040154274710.xml

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1548843.html

Now mind you, NO crime was commited here. If he had put the bill for these expenditures on the university's tab, I could perhaps see reason for this extreme measure. But why pretell should it be the university's concern what the man does on his own free time with his own money. I mean ARRGGGHH.

>:( [shameful] [grr] [argh] ??? [flaming] [eek]
Sounds to me like the UA president is just some holier than thou moron. I'd hate to be in his shoes if Price's replacement doesn't do well, particluarly at a school where football is a stated tradition.

It's when I see shit like this that I'm glad that I'm just a "joe lunchpail" who doesn't have wither in shame for my trips to strip clubs and be concerned that someone might spot me and rat me out, which kind of makes me wonder for you guys who hit the clubs while you're out of town on business. Could your company sanction you if they ever found out about your trips, and might be bringing the good name of the organization down with your "unprofessional" behavior, even on your own time with your own money?

Chuck149
05-04-2003, 04:19 AM
It's when I see shit like this that I'm glad that I'm just a "joe lunchpail" who doesn't have wither in shame for my trips to strip clubs and be concerned that someone might spot me and rat me out, which kind of makes me wonder for you guys who hit the clubs while you're out of town on business. Could your company sanction you if they ever found out about your trips, and might be bringing the good name of the organization down with your "unprofessional" behavior, even on your own time with your own money?

I think it's a shame that he lost his job, but it looked like it was for more than just a visit to a strip club. What was that lady doin in his room ??? plus he had been warned in the past. After all he is in a possition in which he to needs to lead by example.
As far as going to clubs when I'm away on business. I'm careful not to charge my visits on the company card. Although many clubs will have an obsure billing name like " The Quarter Deck Resaturant" some places have been known to double charge business credit cards. I think if my company found out where I was going on my own time, it wouldn't make a difference. After all, it is my time.
But hey, just in case, I'm using the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. ;)

Prester_John
05-04-2003, 06:21 AM
The University has every right to enforce any moral or ethics code it wants. Especially in the Bible Belt, a veneer of a lack of morality being condoned by school authorities can really hurt enrollment or profitability. The University is a private institution, and can set any standard it wants, no matter what the rest of us think about that (Re: Bob Jones University).

If he knew about the strictures in behavior the University had in place, it is justifiable that he got fired. One may argue about the propriety of the strictures, but that’s not the issue.

PJ

money
05-04-2003, 08:15 AM
I thought the University of Alabama was a state school? Or am I wrong? Anyhow, I guess all of us here on SJ can take our names off of the hiring list! But I do think it is wrong to fire someone for something they do on their own time.

sol_de_pr2
05-04-2003, 09:27 AM
As far as going to clubs when I'm away on business. I'm careful not to charge my visits on the company card. Although many clubs will have an obsure billing name like " The Quarter Deck Resaturant" some places have been known to double charge business credit cards. I think if my company found out where I was going on my own time, it wouldn't make a difference. After all, it is my time.
But hey, just in case, I'm using the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. ;)
Yup, one strip club here in PR uses "Sweetness Corporation" on its tabs, another uses "JC Entertainment" . In this sense Divas is honest, theirs read "Divas International" which by the way is this club's official name. Just hope they haven't sent my credit card info to the wrong people.
[shameful]

electric_head
05-04-2003, 10:57 PM
17 year old kids and 42 year old men8)

05-05-2003, 03:10 AM
I'd heard - don't know if it's true - that the charges for the strip club and/or hotel room service went to the University's credit card. If so, he's got no one but himself to blame for misappropriating public money. I like going to strip clubs, but I don't see it as an appropriate use of tax dollars. If what I heard is true.

If this is not the case then it is ridiculous for him to be fired. What a man does( legaly that is) in his private time and with his own money is no one's business but his own. Now if he was using university funds well that is a whole differnt ballgame.

Susan Wayward
05-05-2003, 05:37 AM
I offered my services as discreet entertainment to SEC coaches in my stripper diary on my website, unfortunately I have no takers yet.

Chuck149
05-05-2003, 09:04 AM
I offered my services as discreet entertainment to SEC coaches in my stripper diary on my website, unfortunately I have no takers yet.

I'm not an SEC coach but I'm always up for some "discreet entertainment" ;D
where do I sign up ::)

doc-catfish
05-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Would that deal on being discreet also apply to former SEC coaches that move to a different conference, say the uhh...Big XII? ;)

CC might have a dilemnia on her hands if she gets an e-mail from Dennis Franchione (Texas A&M FB coach) requesting a cheerleader show. [oogle]

sol_de_pr2
05-05-2003, 12:46 PM
You do house calls in Puerto Rico??? ;D

yoda57us
05-05-2003, 01:10 PM
He got fired for being an idiot. He signed a contract with a morals clause. He violated the terms of the contract. He was even verbaly warned in the past to watch his step. I have no sympathy for the guy. A contract, no matter how archaic, is a contract.

sol_de_pr2
05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
He could've objected to that morals clause, what does that have to do with coaching a team. Oh, maybe his strip club activities would distract him from bringing home the championship, yeah right...

Alanna
05-05-2003, 05:38 PM
I thought the University of Alabama was a state school? Or am I wrong?

it's my understanding that state colleges will have the word "state" in their name (i.e., Penn State is the state college of Pennsylvania and the University of Pennsylvania isn't). in any case, Alabama State University is the state college of Alabama which is a different school then the University of Alabama.

He could've objected to that morals clause, what does that have to do with coaching a team.

sure he could have, but he didn't. no doubt if he had objected to any stipulation in the contract, he wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. the point being that he agreed to the terms of the contract thereby obligating himself to those terms.

as for what does the morals clause have to do with coaching... it doesn't. it has to do with the reputation of the school. since universities get much of their funding from alumni that they aren't getting from the state the way that state colleges do, they're going to be concerned about their image... can't offend the alumni or they won't reach into their pockets deep enough anymore if at all. in a big football area like Alabama, the football coach position is a far more visable one then say, the coach of the girl's volleyball team. perhaps if Price had been the coach of the girl's volleyball team, he might have been able to get away with his actions and keep his job.

a lot of companies work much the same way... the more the reputation of the company is important to it's function, the more that those workers who are in the higher up positions (hence, more "visable"), then the more the company would be concerned about the actions of that worker... the company probably won't care if Joe Average Worker doesn't have a sterling character, but they will if Joe Branch Manager doesn't (and the company will flip out if Joe Vice President gets caught "with his pants down"). ;)

eh, it's all politics.

SportsWriter2
05-05-2003, 11:37 PM
The University of Alabama and Auburn University are both state universities in Alabama. Iowa and Iowa State (where the party boy hoops coach had to resign) are both state universities. Cornell is a private university in New York, except for the ag school, which is funded by the state. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the name.

money
05-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Sportswriter, you beat me to the punch! LOL Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are 2 other schools named like that, and they are both state schools! Remember Alanna, Rutgers is the state school of NJ, so you really cannot go by names. Names can mislead!

doc-catfish
05-06-2003, 12:01 AM
it's my understanding that state colleges will have the word "state" in their name (i.e., Penn State is the state college of Pennsylvania and the University of Pennsylvania isn't). in any case, Alabama State University is the state college of Alabama which is a different school then the University of Alabama.

Not to jump OT, but by "state school" we mean that the institution is under state control, as opposed to private control. Both UA and ASU are under state control in Alabama, (as is Alabama's in-state rival Auburn University, which I always thought was private). When states have multiple institutions, they generally put words like "state","tech" or "A&M" in the name of one to distinguish between them. You're correct though about the University of Pennsylvania. UP is NOT a state school.

as for what does the morals clause have to do with coaching... it doesn't. it has to do with the reputation of the school. since universities get much of their funding from alumni that they aren't getting from the state the way that state colleges do, they're going to be concerned about their image... can't offend the alumni or they won't reach into their pockets deep enough anymore if at all. in a big football area like Alabama, the football coach position is a far more visable one then say, the coach of the girl's volleyball team. perhaps if Price had been the coach of the girl's volleyball team, he might have been able to get away with his actions and keep his job.

That's a possibility Alanna, considering the media attention that the Alabama football program is given, but I might suggest that just the opposite could be true. The money involved with these athletic departments is so ridiculous that those who are bigwigs in these powerful "machines" get away with these sort of things all the time, and you would be surprised how the local population and local media will turn their backs to such goings on and ignore them. Nobody in a university town wants to deal with the repercussions of being the fink who ratted out the beloved coach of a school's most noteworthy athletic team.

I'm sure the UA football fans are good-minded people, but even down in Bible belt country, I'll bet a significant chunk of them would rather have a hell raiser who likes to watch strippers win them a national championship, than have some saintly coach guide them through a series of losing seasons. By contrast, if a coach for a small non-revenue sport at UA were to land in such trouble, the school might have no problem cutting them loose.

My point from the beginning was that I don't think its fair for someone to lose their job for a NON-crime commited on their own time with their own money (if such is indeed the case). I think the reason Price was fired had NOT to do with the fact that he merely commited an indiscretion, but the nature of that indiscretion, namely that it involved SEX. Had Price been caught with a DUI (which IS a crime) he might have actually gotten a lesser sanction.

The political enviroment where it occured also played a factor. The UA football team is currently serving its second NCAA probation in less than a decade, and the new university president wants to clean up UA's reputation as a "party school". Price had previously coached at Washington State and I'm sure he didn't just suddenly pick up his "bad habits" upon moving to Tuscaloosa.

Politics indeed. ::)

mr_punk
05-06-2003, 05:51 AM
it seems to me that mike price firing was a preemptive
PR move by the university president probably,with the
full blessing of the NCAA president Myles Brand. the
NCAA along and certain university presidents still
likes to pretend that it's still the 60's and 70's
when college athletics were still a mom and pop
operation. the Colleges and NCAA likes to throw around
words like the integrity and student-athlete instead
of a more apt phrase (especially at big-time programs)
athlete-student. the diffference between now and then?
oh, about 6 billion dollars not including the big
coaching contacts,lucrative shoe and clothing deals.

perhaps Mike Price biggest mistake was not waiting
until he won a championship at UA before he pulled
such a stunt. moral clauses aside, when you WIN most
transgressions can be forgiven. sure, a moral clause
isn't an unsual part of a contract. however,that
doesn't necessarily mean that it will be enforced. if
you choke your coach,but you have an ERA of 1.2, can
put up 30ppg, or run for 200 yrd per game. you will be
forgiven with a little help from a tony P.R.
consultant. if you are a actor and you get drunk and
run over priest while filming a movie, but your
last movie and your current
movie is a blockbuster,you will be forgiven,after
rehab. if you are a CEO and you are going through a
very messy public divorce with charges of adultery,but
you create a lot of shareholder wealth. you will be
forgiven and given even more stock options once the
board and shareholders realize how much money you made
for them,and they all have moral clauses in their contracts.
a wise man once said,"I'd draft Charles
Manson if he ran a 4.3 forty."-jimmy johnson.

BTW,i don't think mike price signed the contract,when
UA fired him. i believed they just had an oral
agreement. if that's the case was there a moral clause
to enforce? i'll leave that question for the lawyers
to figure out.

McCain
05-09-2003, 02:26 AM
WTF?!?!?!?!?

Sacrilege, sacrilege, I tell you... our UA boys party a lot harder than that (I know first hand), so what the hell is wrong with our coach getting in a little fun time as well... At least he didn't do anything that could have resulted in jail charges...

My god... The Bear would be rolling in his grave if he knew how knuckleheaded things have gotten... Come to think of it, is that had happened at Auburn, Shug probably would have been a touch annoyed as well...

I'd rather see the boys out playing at bars and inviting strippers back to their hotel, than knocking up all the cheerleaders. At least it means they actually learned something before they left high school...

McCain

Bill_Clinton_1
05-11-2003, 02:46 AM
That Alabama FB coach got screwed

I sure hope he got laid for all his troubles ;D

SportsWriter2
05-11-2003, 03:31 AM
I'll say it like the Bear would have: Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is a fine Christian man.

bambiinpa
08-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Actually Penn State Is NOT a state school. It is a private institution with state funding. The tuition at Penn State is 2X the state tuition rate. I just found this out when my daughter was accepted there last year.