PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

electric_head
04-25-2003, 09:43 AM
My club just added strobe lights and a laser. Much better than the old blacklight and colored lights only. The strobe is way cool when a lady is working the pole. Do you have any special lighting at your club?

doc-catfish
04-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Yeah EH, I kind of like the special effects they have with the stage shows particularly when they make the smoke come out of the stage, but oh those strobe lights drive me nuts!!

I suppose it depends on the club, but if the place has a LOT of mirrored walls, those strobes aren't such a good idea. One time I went to a club where you could tip the dancer lying down on the stage. There was a strobe DIRECTLY over my head, and the asshole DJ there thought he would have a little fun with me.

Lets just say it was a good thing that I could feel the girl's breasts brushing my face and smell her perfume as she took my tip, because I sure as hell couldn't SEE anything.

McCain
04-25-2003, 01:12 PM
I have never cared much for strobes, because the right frequency strobe will cause me to have petit mal seizures (basically I end up standing in one place, staring, and twitching, until the lights stop). Result of head injuries sustained when I was younger.

However, I have always had a fondness for pink lights and the smoke machines. Especially smoke machines that blow from the floor up. And the pink lights keep me from looking washed out and dead under black lights, as I am naturally pale and incapable of tanning.

I have to say I am not totally impressed with rotating lights though, as they can be a bit disorienting if your on a stage that is surrounded by mirrors.

McCain

04-25-2003, 03:42 PM
wow, the clubs I regularly visit have had strobes and laser lights for at least a decade. I too like the smoke machines but I have had many a dancer tell me that when they come from the floor it makes the stage very slick. Stobes can be very cool if used correctly, unfortunatly many DJ's get trigger happy with them. Blacklights are my least favorite, they make some dancers eyes look strange.I don't know if it is a light colored eye thing or contacts or what but its odd looking.

electric_head
04-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Mike,
Things move a lil slower in parts of North Carolina8)

McCain
04-27-2003, 06:31 AM
I think the slickness from smoke machines must really depend on the material of which the stage is made. The club I worked that had the smoke machines blowing out of the stage itself had stages that were made of either acrylic or textured plexiglass (I'm not sure which). Slickness was not an issue at all. However, I recently worked a club that just used a small smoke blower during Halloween, and if I danced too close to it, I did have a few problems - that stage was made of polished wood.

McCain