PDA

View Full Version : What music do you prefer?

sallylou
04-14-2003, 04:21 AM
Hey guys!
I need a little advice... planning on auditioning for a club tomorrow and just realized that they might ask me to pick out a couple songs. I was just wondering if there are any songs in particular you guys (or gals) would recommend as something you really like to see a dancer shake her thang too!!! LOL Or does it matter what the song is as long as she moves well? I can dance to pretty much anything (wouldn't want to, but can LOL), but if I gotta pick I want to make sure it's a song guys enjoy too.
Is there any song you would never want to see a girl dance too?
Thanks for your help!
Luv,
Amber76

Prester_John
04-14-2003, 05:12 AM
well, you know.. thats an interesting question. My main likes are metal/punk/hard rock, but I am by no means limited to that (the last three CDS I bought were the Deftones, Indigo Girls and Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana").

I very much dig when I hear the harder stuff in a Club, but my bias doesnt make me think that it works everywhere and with everybody. I would feel awfully bad to see a dancer who likes to dance to Keith Sweat have to dance to Metallica. The best performances are brought out when the dancer is in her comfort zone, not mine. Its an added bonus when she is comfortable and prefers dancing to something like Fishbone, but its never a detraction if she doesnt.

So for me, the key is YOU being confortable with the music. You cannot please everyone. Its impossible. But if you please yourself first, it will show in your performance.

I also may be wrong, but it appears to me not as many guys have an interest in music the way I do, so again, the music should be something you like first, because to many guys it seems to not matter.

I hope this helps a little.

PJ

cmkrnl
04-14-2003, 05:23 AM
I agree, put on the music you like and it will show in your performance. BTW, what music do you like?

Personally, I don't like the electronic techno stuff you sometimes here. IMHO most of the problems with the music in clubs is the DJ's inability to tell when the music is just too damn loud and overdriving the club's sound system. I hate bad quality sound.

Don't get me started on other things that are wrong with DJ's.

Jayln
04-14-2003, 06:37 AM
I have done a some contests, and I can tell you what tends to work. The most important factor is NOT to pick slow music. Some songs may be sexy, but they to become boring unless the girl is an excpetional dancer. Classic rock always goes over well. Rap is more questionable, many clubs won't even play it however, so I wouldn't advise going that route. In my opinion, upbeat rock is the universally great option.

If you are auditioning though, the manager/ club owner won't care what the music is- they just want to see how you look onstage and if you can dance in 6-inch heels without falling, which I am sure you can do, but there are some girls that have a little trouble in the shoe department. ;)
Good luck!

The_Oceans
04-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Amber, I don't know exactly what you like, but here's some ideas for you:

Mid-tempo R&B: "Dance WIth Me" by 112 (also has a cool part at the bridge that goes "If you're sexy and you know it clap your hands" clap-clapclapclap-clapclap)

Pop-ish R&B: "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan and "Get The Party Started" by Pink

House/Dance: "Da Funk" by Daft Punk (thumping bass groove, instrumental)

80s Hard Rock: "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue and "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC

Those are the first six off the top of my head...hope you kick ass and get the job :-)

Chuck149
04-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Here's a couple I like:

"Take my Love" - Kromozone Project
"Mouth" - Merril Bainbridge
"She Rides" - Danzig

I know you'll do well - Knock em dead!

electric_head
04-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Hey Miss Amber,
I'm a metalhead like the name hehe Zombie-Living dead girl,TOOL-46,2, Korn-alone I break, are all very good in the club and out. Also Garbage is very sexy-stupid girl,my lovers box,trip my wire (Shirley you lil sex kitten) oh sorry! Hope these help, and best of luck. Come on back and let us know how it went. ;)

yoda57us
04-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Amber: If it's early in the day go for "sexual healing" by Marvin Gaye or some other sexy R&B stuff. If it's night time tell us where it is and we'll all come down to offer moral support!

doc-catfish
04-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Personally, I don't like the electronic techno stuff you sometimes here. IMHO most of the problems with the music in clubs is the DJ's inability to tell when the music is just too damn loud and overdriving the club's sound system. I hate bad quality sound.

Don't get me started on other things that are wrong with DJ's.

Yes, yes, yes. If I live to be 200 and hear another Lords of Acid song at the club, it'll be too soon!! And I don't know WHY there are so many of these idiots who think its so cool to raise the decibel level to somewhere around a jet aircraft. DJ's, turn it down please.

But I digress, back to Amber's question.

Any style of music can work (unless its a western style club, TRY to avoid country), but if you're concerned with what your customers would like, try to see what kind of clientele the club has. Classic rock (pre-1990) is great if you have an older crowd, but if you have some younger guys you might want to try some newer stuff. Anything that has a bluesy sound is great in my book. 80's hair metal is a virtual catalog of dancable songs.

A current new favorite of mine is that Evanessence song "Bring Me To Life". I'd list more, but I could go on forever.

electric_head
04-15-2003, 08:26 AM
I'm sure Chuck will too since I guess he's going to be finding his way to the club just about the time of my audition!!! LOL... What a coincidence!!!
I don't know if that's fair, Chuck gets to see you dance and we don't even get a pic or two!!! Good luck and make sure Chuck tips you well 8)

04-17-2003, 05:27 AM
For some reason I like to hear 80's music in stripclubs, pop, rock, funk it is all pretty good for a night out at the club.