PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new forum software & info!!

Pryce
12-12-2003, 03:34 AM
Welcome to the new forum software, a customized version of YaBBSE.

Well, we're done for day one and the forums are complete enough to re-open. While there are a few more tweaks to add - most of the forum should be operational. Please let us know if you run into any trouble. There is an known incompatibility with instant messaging and Norton's Internet Security, so you may have to disable it if you wish to send private messages for now.

We're happy to finally let everyone see the new boards we've been working on for a while now. Here's a quick overview:

Chat - The new chat lists how many users are in it on every page of the forum. You will notice a small line of text directly under the forum navigation (you can hide this if you wish by checking the option in your profile). The chat itself has also changed - the software is much better - try it. =)

IM Preferences - You now have several options for your Instant/Private Messages. You can get a pop-up notice to let you know when you get new messages, you can get an email, you can ignore members, you can select an audio sound for notification.

Moods - You can now select your mood. You mood will be displayed in your posts and profile.

Boards Collapse - You can collapse categories you don't read often so its boards don't take up room on your screen. Click the category name next to the [-] picture to collapse. To expand click the category name that will then be next to the [+] picture. I'll explain this better later.

Avatars - We have added many more avatars, we have also removed some. If you used one of our standard avatars, it probably still exists, but has just been moved. Look through them to find it. If your avatar is linked to (you checked the "I have my own pic" box) then your avatar will be displayed at 100x100. If you'd like to use your own picture we suggest you upload it using the new "Upload own picture" in your profile. It makes adding pictures very easy - you just have to resize them properly. If you don't know how to do this, we will have a help file later.

Bio's - The old bio's have been lost. The new system works differently, so you'll have to retype it in your profile.

IM Preferences - You now have several options for your Instant/Private Messages. You can get a pop-up notice to let you know when you get new messages, you can get an email, you can ignore members, you can select an audio sound for notification.

Hide - The old board showed everyone who was online. You can now set yourself as hidden if you don't wish to be seen.

Online - Your online status is also shown in your posts - so other members can see if you're online when they're replying.

Language Packs - You can change the language of the YaBB buttons if you choose.

Disable Quick-Reply - If you don't like to use the quick-reply box, you can disable it in your profile.

Secret Question - To recover your password, you now have the option to add a secret question and answer.

Karma - This allows members to give credit to members the enjoy and take credit from those they don't. Karma is displayed in each users posts. I'm not sure about keeping this though...I like to keep things positive and this could easily turn bad. We'll demo it for now.

Member Map - You can now display where you live or work using our member map. It's a little weird to use, but do-able. Play with it if you'd like - in the future I'll explain it better.

Couple Gender - We also added a couple gender for those that share a computer with their spouse...no need for two accounts any more.

Polls - The old polls have been lost and the new ones work a little differently. Try 'em out.

Go Down and Go Up - There are now go up and go down buttons on the topic pages. This makes it easy to go to the last post (they basically scroll for you quickly).

Search - There is now a simplified search, the old search still exists if you wish to use it (click advanced search on the search page).

Memberlist - The memberlist is a little different.

Notification - You can now have the forum email you for messages you want to be notifed about. The old board allowed this, but the new version has more options - I'll leave it to you to check it out.

This is getting long huh?

Smilies - We've added many more smilies, we think these are much better and fit the board better. They are now displayed in a box to the right of the post area. We've also changed the "standard" smilies. Right now they're construction workers - because we're working over here. We will be changing the "standard" smilies seasonally from now on. ;)

WYSIWYG - The post page has a "What you see is what you get" editor. This makes it easy to create fancy posts - it is similar to Word.

Attachments - Attachments are back! You can again add files to your posts...like Karma, we're testing this out. If it get's abused or greatly increases our traffic, we will disable it.

That's it for now. It's 2:30am, GirlFriday has a flu and I must sleep. Enjoy it and we'll see you around the boards. I'll post more details on how to use the features as time permits. Again, if you run into any trouble, post it in Site Issues or email me if its personal - [email protected]

Take care,
Pryce

Chuck149
12-12-2003, 04:38 AM
Wow! Great job Pryce & GF.... There are a lot of great new features to learn ::)

fishnet
12-12-2003, 05:26 AM
Tried to use my own avater and received....

An Error Has Occurred!

2: copy(/yabbse2/YaBBImages/avatars/uploaded/BFL 004.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Any suggestions?

BTW, the site is looking good. :)

witt
12-12-2003, 05:46 AM
Great job. Thanks again for all your hard hardwork.

doc-catfish
12-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Whew! Talk about a makeover! This will take a little while to get used to.
:o

Note to any member with a multiple word username:

I tried logging in as dr. catfish and it wouldn't let me in. I browsed the forums and saw that my username now appeared as dr._catfish (notice the underscore between the two words), so I logged in again putting an underscore where the space used to be and it worked.

It looks kinda silly that way so I "doctored" it a little. Still have to use the old name to log in though.
:doctor:

If you're having trouble logging in I'd suggest trying this.

Pryce
12-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys!

Fishnet that was an oversight. It should be fixed now, let me know how it goes. :)

lestat1
12-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Pryce,
Great work! I noticed a little bug. One of my posts that I edited has this for the date of the edit: "Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 pm by -1 " That's long before I was born, LOL.

-lestat1

Pryce
12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Hrm...that's pretty weird...where is the post?

Brooklyn
12-12-2003, 12:11 PM
great job pryce thanks for all your hard work tell girl friday we hope she gets better ;)

merely_lurking
12-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Nice update. I especially like how you can tell if people are in the chatroom without actually having to enter it.

sol_de_pr2
12-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Looks great! Keep it up! ;D

sol_de_pr2
12-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Testing to see if I'm "offline" lol

lestat1
12-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Hrm...that's pretty weird...where is the post?

It's on the general board on SCJ in the "Ever think of stop going to strip clubs? " thread, reply #45. The date isn't that strange, isn't 12:00:00 AM on Jan 1, 1970 the default or start time for date objects in Java? It's only a few hours off...

electric_head
12-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Great new look- Thanks Pryce and GF:)

Chuck149
12-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey Pryce, what happened to Spell check? Can't seem to find it :(

Pryce
12-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks everyone, nice to hear positive feedback and to see everyone using the features!

Lestat, I don't see the date, but I do see the -1. I'm guessing it's trying to interpret a NULL value and it's giving the base date as you mentioned. It looks like the migration missed the old edit dates. So, they'll all just have -1. :) Thanks for catching it!

Chuck, we don't have it yet. I'm going to try to reinstall it later. Sorry, I miss it too.

Chuck149
12-12-2003, 10:18 PM
thanks Pryce, I reallyned tht spel chk LOL

SportsWriter2
12-13-2003, 03:10 AM
I really like the new chat and being able to see if anyone is on at any given moment. Great work!!!!!

FBR
12-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Great job Pryce! Thanks! ;D I'm just now breezing thru trying to get a handle on the new board features. You werent kidding when you said the new software was more powerful :o The new smilies are cool as is being able to see if anyone is in chat.

FBR

FBR
12-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Gonna take me while to get used to managing my IM inbox due to the space limitations. I logged in and saw it was 600+% full :o I had every IM since day one LOL and couldnt receive anymore until it was below 50. Ive spent the last hour re-reading, deleting and archaiving those messages but now Im done. Bring on the IMs! LOL

FBR

FBR
12-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Guess Im not too sure about this karma thing. Seems like it will just turn into an avenue for mutual masturbation or flaggellation. Hmmmm, as I think about it though, that might be fun :thinking:

FBR

Pryce
12-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Sorry about the inbox limitations, but from my side of things, it helps keep the bills more predictable. Those IM's take up space and we're on our way to 4000 members.

As for karma, there is a discussion on it at SW in site issues. I'm still on the fence about keeping it.

sadbuttrue
12-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Excellent job, Pryce!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

If I was to have written a wish list, most of them are satisfied.

When viewing your PM list Is it possible to have it go to the text of the next message when doing a delete instead of going back to the message list?

It's tough cleaning out your mailbox sometimes now that there is a limit of 50.

>>>Sad<<<
;D

fishnet
12-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Guess Im not too sure about this karma thing. Seems like it will just turn into an avenue for mutual masturbation or flaggellation. Hmmmm, as I think about it though, that might be fun :thinking:

FBR

LMAO!!! ;D Whacka whacka...lol.

Pryce
12-13-2003, 11:32 PM
sbt, thanks! :) As of now, there is no going from one message to the next. As I have time I&#039;ll try to get that done (it&#039;s a feature I&#039;d like too!).