PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

Happy_Camper
01-30-2004, 08:14 PM
I bought Sirius radio last month and I think it is way cool. Here in the midwest we get top40, country, and rock. This thing has got it all and no commercials. I get annoyed now if I have to listen to 'regular' radio. The bonus of when I travel to the farther away club and would lose what crappy station i had on the way.

electric_head
01-31-2004, 08:02 AM
HC Glad to hear you like it. BTW did you look at XM?

Happy_Camper
01-31-2004, 08:06 AM
Yes I did. Sirius had the hardware that I wanted (and on sale). It had the built in FM modulator so I could take it between vehicles easily. And the sale gave me the home kit for free (after rebate). Plus Sirius has the deal with NFL, NBA, and NHL to carry games. They also have 3 satellite vs XM's two. The only minus for Siruis was it cost a couple more dollars a month, but pay by the year or two and it levels out.

ASU_Racer
04-06-2004, 03:54 AM
XM sucks, stick with Sirrius.

m
04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
does the modulator only tune into the lower stations? 89.1 etc? bought a modulator to broadcast mp3's from my laptop but we have so many low band stations that it gets distorted.

Happy_Camper
04-06-2004, 08:48 PM
The one for my satellite radio is only lower frequency 88.1-88.7 and there was one place in Northern Illinois that I had trouble. (Of course I havent been to far with it yet, check back after summer tour).

Moneywise
04-14-2004, 07:45 AM
I've had XM for a few years now. Love it. Although I would like to enjoy the deals with the major sports entities, I still love the variety XM provides.

NikkiD
04-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Isnt that like Muzak, only with way better music and alot less elevator crap?

Happy_Camper
04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
With over 100 stations, they may even have muzak...

Sitri
05-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Hate to dig up an old thread but better than starting a new one.

In the process of moving from Florida to midwest so I put Sirius in the car. The programming is great and not having to search for stations was a Godsend. I got the sportster so it will alert me when my favorite teams are playing.

Also got the boom box so I can listen to it at home.

Moneywise
05-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Update: (since you unearthed this thread) ;)

I sold the vehicle that had XM in it and purchased a new full sized hemi powered quad cabbed beast. I have an appointment on Thursday to have have a $1000 upgrade put into place. This includes:

MB Quartz tweeters for the dash mounts.
Eclipse high end head unit w/ 8V pre-amp outputs
Sirius

This will be added to:
Alpine 200w 4 channel amp running the 4 in cab Polk Audios with an MTX Thunderform (w/ built in amp) under the rear seat.

Notice I didn't mention the current head unit because... well... it blows. (Sony head unit ::) )

Nicolina
05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
OMG, I want satellite radio sooo bad!!!

MW, do you like Sirius better than XM so far? I'm leaning toward Sirius because I think they have more NPR/talk stations than XM does. I figure the musical selection on both is pretty similar. Any thoughts?

(For music, I like all kinds of stuff: hip-hop and hardcore gangsta rap, R&B, oldschool soul, silly dance/pop, blues, bluegrass, jazz vocals, swing & more...)

Casual Observer
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
My next head unit, the Clarion DRZ9255 (http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/source_units/DRZ9255.html), will support satellite radio, and has hand tuned Burr-Brown D/A converters like my current Sony CDX910.

I'll probably go with Sirius, myself; lots of NPR and apparently very good metal.

Hate
05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
As someone who installs and sells both units (XM and Sirius), I personally like both. The only difference I have found so far is the Sirius antenna is picky about where it is installed on the car and Sirius is about 5 cent more a month. Both have great programming and both have there pros and cons on what specific programming they offer. The Sportser is a good unit but I am getting ready to change over to the MyFi system by Delphi. Totally portable, built in modulator (for those that need it), and there is really no need to buy extra cradles for different vehicles plus I can take it in the house or work and still use it.

GenWar
05-16-2005, 08:06 PM
All this talk and no one mentions Stern?

Casual Observer
05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
^ He was better when he was married and frustrated--he was more honest. Now it's tired and blah...

yoda57us
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Yup, tired sums it up well. By the time he gets to satelite radio, they will be sorry they ever signed the contract with him.

NVJosh
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I've had XM since December and being a huge baseball fan, love it for the baseball broadcasts. It has enough variety of music for me and a lot of good talk selections. I'm not knocking Sirius, as I expect it is pretty good, too. I was one of those "I'll never pay for radio" people, and I've converted. I have the boombox/CD/MP3/FM/AM/XM box for my office, and Mrs. J has the SkiFi2 with what I call the "butterfly speakers" for home. We love it for long trips across the desert and also because the damn signal is so clear.

Moneywise
05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
The ride was operated on this morning and it came through the procedure with sparkling success. I never knew there could be such clarity at such high volumes. :)

I'm also diggin the new Sirius. The wealth of Rap/Hip Hop/Soul/|Jazz stations is mind boggling. I've been stuck on station 40 & 42 for most of the afternoon. It is nice to have ESPNews back in the ride again.

FBR
05-22-2005, 01:56 PM
XM rocks ;D

When I got the new EXT in February it came with a free 90 day subscription. Mrs FBR and I enjoyed it all the way down to Florida a few weeks ago. Wouldnt you know it, a couple of days before we were scheduled to come back the 90 days was up :-\ I went ahead and signed up for a 1 yr subscription. I couldnt imagine a 16 hr drive back home with minimal reception and when we could get a station, tons of commercials.

We listened to the Comedy Channel (150) most of the way back. It made the 16 hr drive seem like 6 ;D

FBR

Sitri
05-23-2005, 05:17 AM
Excellent FBR, I think it is not whether you have XM or Sirrius, it is whether you are listening to what you want to or are you scanning, scanning, scanning,scanning,scanning.
I like the Vault, First Wave, and Bloomberg.

Moneywise
05-23-2005, 07:24 AM
I've had both in two different rides and both have their distinct advantages. The bottom line is when you're making that roadie to New Orleans from Florida (as I often enjoy doing) both XM and Sirius beat the backwoods digressions that call themselves radio stations along the way.

I'm currently enjoying the non stop NFL talk on Sirius NFL Radio ch. 124. It's sooo heavenly. :)

I also have the desktop tuner from sirius.com on my desktop so I can tune in to listen to my favorite station while perusing SCJ.

amylynnej
08-07-2005, 12:53 PM
You cant go wrong with either xm or sirius though right now I think XM has more programming.

Casual Observer
08-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Got my Sirius up and running last week.

It's pretty good; they overamplify the low end of the audio spectrum too much, but other than that it's pretty good right now.

RedZ28
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I've had XM since January and it's pretty addictive. My favorite channels are XM Comedy 150, Opie & Anthony 202, and the Top 20. The only gripe I have is that they recently phased out MTV Radio and VH1 radio in favor of the satellite radio version of Lifetime/Oxygen d'oh!

NVJosh
10-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I can't stand Dopey and Unfunny, so I don't listen to 202, however I love having the choices. I've been listening to the 70s channel recently, but sometimes listen to Xtreme Country (12), the 60s on 6, or my favorite, Soul Street (60). Add that in to news channels, baseball and if I'm bored something like E! or the comedy channels, and its much better than standard radio to me.