PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Preference

fishnet
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi Guys:

Just wondering what cell phone you use and how you like it. Those PDA cell phone combo's are way more than I need. My current phone is adequate. I'd prefer one that I can sync with "Outlook" contacts. I'm leaning towards the Motorola T-721 and the LG 4011 for this reason.

What do you use and how is the reception in office buildings and elevators? Do you come close to using all the features? Voice commands, calculator, calendar etc.?

Thanks.
Fish :)

FBR
03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Fish I use Verizon for all my company phones. Their coverage is the best IMO and they are willing to negotiate rates. My phone is a cheapie Audiovox LOL (gotta save money for the club) but it works. I have all the usual stuff (voice mail, text messaging etc) but not a lot of bells and whistles. My oldest kid just bought a fancy phone which takes pics and does mpegs etc I prob should get one so I can snap a shot of Miss B and Miss D LOL I need some new screen savers

FBR

Moneywise
03-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I've been with AT & T for ages. I just recently received my newly upgraded phone (The Motorola T721). I absolutely LOVE this phone. I'm on the mMode and the geek in me can now be just a button away from the internet.

By going with this phone I did elect to take the jump from the old reliable digital network to their new GSM/GPRS network platform. The coverage is allegedly not as good as digital but they're constantly adding and upgrading so I can deal with an occasional rough spot here and there. I have been using this phone for three days and thus far have zero complaints.

m
03-04-2004, 07:40 PM
verizon for me too. audiovox cdm 8900...the speakerphone and voice dial is a must.

HeavenLeigh
05-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I recently got a new cell phone and I LOVE IT. I use Verizon for my regular everyday cell phone (like FBR, it's an old Audiovox), but I decided to get a pre-paid phone for the club, so I can give my number out to regular customers who want to know when I'm working. I went with Virgin Mobile after a shitty experience with T-Mobile's pre-paid department. (Bought the phone, it didn't work, they treated me like crap, I told them where to put it.) So I got the Kyocera SE-47 Slider and it's so freakin' cool! Games, text messaging, downloadable ringtones (I have the theme from Knight Rider on it now. Yes, I'm a dork.), buncha other nifty stuff.

Virgin's service is a bit expensive, but since they ONLY do pre-paid, they have great customer service. The major carriers treat pre-paid customers like second-class citizens, I think because they know that they can't gouge them like the regular customers.

I LOVE MY GROOVY NEW PHONE!!

fishnet
05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info HL!!! :) AT&T prepaid sucks. You lose your minutes if you don't add more after 45 days. Their GOPhone plan is much better but the Nokia 3595 sucks. I'm going to get about 6 more months use out of it and buy an NEC 525. It's a camera phone with all the other features I want. Mostly to snyc Outlook contacts with the phone and take pix. LOL. ;)

HeavenLeigh
05-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I did alot of research on pre-paid and with most carriers, you'll lose your minutes after 30-60 days. With Virgin, you have 90 days and whatever you have left will roll over as soon as you top up with $20 or more. I also like the flat rate on minutes. It's 25¢/min for the first ten minutes each day and then 10¢ /min for the rest of the day. Text is free to receive, 10¢ each to send. Like I said, a bit expensive, but I think it's worth it if only for the convenience and anonymity.

I really, really want a camera phone, too, but I just can't justify it! :-\ Moneywise, I shouldn't since I just bought a new PowerBook G4. Also, I have a very nice, high quality digital camera and I recently bought a tiny Gateway DV-S20 digital cam/camcorder that I always carry with me. I have to keep asking myself, "How often am I *really* going to send pics through my phone?" Damn, I still want one though!!

fishnet
05-14-2004, 07:33 PM
I have to keep asking myself, "How often am I *really* going to send pics through my phone?" Damn, I still want one though!!

Geez! did ya have to bring reality into this? I have a nice digital cam too. It wasn't top of the line...it wasn't cheap either. I've used it twice. ::) Should'a used the money at the club. ::) I always have the phone with me so I'd probably use it more often. I never carry the digital cam. :(

yoda57us
05-15-2004, 07:06 AM
I had AT&T & hated it. When number porting became available I went to Nextel and kept my old # wich is my business phone number. Motorola's heavier duty phones are all monopolized by Nextel plus the direct connect feature is essential in my business. I have better coverage in the Boston area than I did with AT&T though I've heard Nextel's coverage is spotty in other areas. The best thing about my plan is that the bill never fluctuates. There are no hidden BS fees and with free incoming calls, free direct connect and free nationwide long distance I'm only paying for 600 minutes a month. With AT&T I had to buy 1000.

Katrine
05-24-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm getting rid of At&T in the next week or so as my contract is expiring...they are way too expensive and aren't even offering me any decent incentives to renew my contract....screw 'em!

Any other recommendations? I'm about to check out Verizon right now!!

Happy_Camper
05-24-2004, 03:14 PM
I like Cingular with the rollover minutes.

fishnet
05-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Kat, you might want to check out Sprint PCS. They've been advertising a new "fair and flexible" plan on the tube. Not quite pay as you go. The plan rate changes depending on your monthly usage so you aren't always paying for minutes you don't use.

m
05-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I did alot of research on pre-paid and with most carriers, you'll lose your minutes after 30-60 days. With Virgin, you have 90 days and whatever you have left will roll over as soon as you top up with $20 or more. I also like the flat rate on minutes. It's 25¢/min for the first ten minutes each day and then 10¢ /min for the rest of the day. Text is free to receive, 10¢ each to send. Like I said, a bit expensive, but I think it's worth it if only for the convenience and anonymity.

I really, really want a camera phone, too, but I just can't justify it! :-\ Moneywise, I shouldn't since I just bought a new PowerBook G4. Also, I have a very nice, high quality digital camera and I recently bought a tiny Gateway DV-S20 digital cam/camcorder that I always carry with me. I have to keep asking myself, "How often am I *really* going to send pics through my phone?" Damn, I still want one though!!

Most of my pictures that are taken after the sun sets don't come out...then again that is probably a good thing. Does anyone use a blackberry and do you know if you can pre-pay those?

Angelique19
08-26-2004, 08:49 PM
I like Cingular with the rollover minutes.
Yep, thats what I use.

Angelique19
08-26-2004, 08:51 PM
My boyfriend has a Corr Wireless 6100 camera phone

FBR
08-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I just renewed my contract with Verizon for my company covering around 15 phones. We went with the Qualcomm 3G CDMA which aint bad for a fairly basic color screen flip phone. No camera but I couldnt see paying for that. So far they are working out well...superior send and receive qualities compared to our previous units. And the battery life seems way better. Im surprised considering our old units had a tiny monochrome screen.

FBR

fishnet
10-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Just signed a 2 year with Verizon. Just had to get the Motorola V710. I don't need the crippled Bluetooth. I wanted the 128 MB removeable transflash card, camera and the ability to sync contacts in Outlook. No desire to surf the web from my phone but the capability is there. Others have been plagued with problems... Verizon has temporarily pulled the phone. So far it looks like I got a good one. Already plenty of pix of the ATF and another fave on the phone plus a bunch of MP3s. 8) Should be a firmware upgrade and camera improvement free in the near future.

For anyone looking at a new phone, here is your best resource.

http://www.howardforums.com/index.php?

Katrine
10-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm pleased with Sprint so far, been about a month, except the idiot guy sold me a car charger that doesn't fit the phone, but that has nothing to do with Sprint.

GnBeret
10-24-2004, 01:53 PM
For what it's worth, I've switched several times and found that the phone itself makes a significant difference - ran around cursing two companies for months and in both cases when switched phone virtually all of the problems disappeared.

In both cases, original unit was a Motorola. For the life of me, cannot understand how Motorola got so big and/or stays in business! When I was much younger, worked offshore and we had Motorola radios, microwave transmission systems, etc., and they sucked. Then got in Army, had Motorola radios, satellite transmission systems, etc., and they sucked. Now the phones.

sol_de_pr2
11-25-2004, 08:28 AM
When the local phone company was bought by GTE (now Verizon) several years ago I kept my cell phone number. I've never felt the need to change since I barely use my cell phone.

Moneywise
11-26-2004, 09:27 AM
I've had a motorola v505 for a couple of weeks now. It's a great phone with just about all the trimmings. I have not a one complaint thus far.

I've been with ATT WS for about 6 years strong. Now I have to start calling them Cingular. I'm all for the merger if it means at some point in the near future rolling my minutes over month to month will become an option.

I was able to get a nice leather cover for the phone from the ATT store since they're npow phasing out everything that has ATT writtien on it. The same cover that normally costs 39.95 was purchased for $13. YAY

MW