PDA

View Full Version : OMG. I just saw the Passion of Christ.

Moneywise
03-13-2004, 11:38 PM
What an incredible movie! I am admittedly not one to venture to church every Sunday. I was forced to go as a child and seem to have used my adulthood as a means to freely show my resentment for having been forced to go as a minor. However, I do pray every night and believe in a higher power. That movie was very powerful. I cannot remember the last movie that affected me is such a way. Well done movie Mr. Gibson. :applaud: :) :) :)

FBR
03-14-2004, 08:19 AM
MW I havent seen it and Im not sure if I will. I enjoy biblical movies in general though.

FBR

Moneywise
03-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said an elderly lady went to see the movie and had a heart attack while watching it. Unfortunately she died. So I went in thinking "What's the big deal?!?". Well, I left physically, mentally, and emotionally moved by it. Great movie.

Lexi
03-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I saw this movie as well. I was very moved, and saddened at the same time. Not only that I felt a little sick after I left the theatre with my sister.
Mel did a wonderful job. This movie made me think about a lot of things...
:(

blondhottie
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I saw it too. I was very moved by it also. The way they whipped, beat, and crucified Jesus was captured in great detail. There were many parts where I had to turn away from the screen because I couldn't watch. I went to church as a kid, but seeing it portrayed on the big screen is totally different from hearing about it or reading about it.

afxturnip
03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
A beautiful beautiful picture, but for me empty of a lot of real meaning. To me, the excessive focus on the realism of the torture at the expense of everything else robbed the story of depth.

The supernatural scenes were really needless and distracted from the movie as well.

The quiet flashbacks at Christ's life, his relationships with his mother and some of the apostles. I would have liked to see more of that.

At the end, the movie just seemed like a religious tract and really didn't offer much for me, the non-believer. Gibson's well within his rights to make such a movie, of course, but I don't think it reached greatness despite the cinematography and some great acting by Caviezel.

For Christ movies, give me Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ and Pasolini's The Gospel of St. Matthew

-afx

FBR
03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
My all time favorite is Jesus of Nazereth

FBR

doc-catfish
03-15-2004, 06:15 PM
I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said an elderly lady went to see the movie and had a heart attack while watching it. Unfortunately she died. So I went in thinking "What's the big deal?!?". Well, I left physically, mentally, and emotionally moved by it. Great movie.

Yep, that happened about 50 miles from where I live.

I have not seen POTC, and really have no plans to. Not against religious movies or anything, but being raised Catholic and having endured more than a few Good Friday masses, I'm quite familiar with the story. No need to spend seven bucks seeing it on a big screen in all its graphic detail while eating overpriced nachos. Maybe I'll have a change of heart when the DVD comes out.

fishnet
03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Maybe I'll have a change of heart when the DVD comes out.

Dang DC!! The DVD will cost you $15-20 at least where I live. ::) $7 on the big screen would be a bargain. LOL.

I'm tough! There hasn't been a movie to get me to the theaters since ROTK. ::) May not go again till the next Harry Potter movie. :P

Give me strippers of give me death. LOL. ;D

Lexi
03-23-2004, 10:45 PM
afx, I tottttally agree with the statement where they should have incorporated the nicer parts of the movie as well. I loved the flashback scenes to him with the disciples and his mother. :(

afxturnip
03-24-2004, 11:39 AM
afx, I tottttally agree with the statement where they should have incorporated the nicer parts of the movie as well. I loved the flashback scenes to him with the disciples and his mother. :(

Yes, to be honest, those brief flashbacks were the only interesting parts of the movie to me. Of course, I've always been interested in the humanity of Christ, and not the divinity.

-afx