PDA

View Full Version : She-bang, She-bang

Richard_Head
06-20-2004, 11:34 AM
I was sitting home last night with nothing to do, gave some serious thought to hitting one of the local strip clubs when a friend called me up and said "dude, William Huang (from "American Idol" fame) is in town, we've gotta go check it out". So off we went, he was actually making an appearance at a local bar/club, he sang 3 songs, OMG he was terrible, we laughed our asses off, I should have gone to the strip club. When is this guy's 15 minutes going to end?

britfreak2
06-20-2004, 01:02 PM
That's funny. As a gag one of the other regular bought the album and brought it in. One of the dancers plays the Ricky Martin version all the time. Let's just say there was some under the table CD swap. The DJ was in on it. I was in on it. The song came on she thought it was the normal version. Then, the vocals came on. She was just on the floor laughing so hard all of the sudden we had the whole club rolling. That had to be one of the best jokes ever. And she still has no clue on who was on it.

Angelique19
09-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I cannot stand William Hung, like Richard said, when are his 15 minutes going to be up?

RedZ28
01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
The joke really is on the American Idol Winners. Other than Kelly Clarkson, the others have pretty much done nothing. William Hung sold more records. There's no accounting for taste.

evan_essence
02-02-2005, 04:44 AM
The joke really is on the American Idol Winners. Other than Kelly Clarkson, the others have pretty much done nothing. William Hung sold more records. There's no accounting for taste.Are you sure about that? Have you been studying Billboard in your spare time, or is that a statement that relies on personal speculation rather than a reliable source? (Not that I've ever done that! Nor is it a federal crime in this context.)

I found one article (http://www.wsjournal.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_RelishArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780361730) that stated Clay Aiken has had the highest record sales, but it doesn't give numbers and I don't necessarily believe every factoid in every news report because sometimes reporters misinterpret a piece of information, or they repeat something they've been told by a PR person without checking, or they parse a statement in a way that it doesn't mean what it seems to imply.

-Ev

RedZ28
02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Yes, I was referring to the other winners: Ruben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino. Clay Aiken was a runner-up and is doing extremely well for himself. Tamayra Gray, a third place finisher has guest-starred on a few episodes of Boston Public. Yes, William Hung has sold over 1 million records and has actually had a few concerts as well. He will play the protagonist in a Kung Fu movie currently filming in Shanghai.

evan_essence
02-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Yes, I was referring to the other winners: Ruben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino.

Well, duh on me. You specified "winners" in your original post merely as plain as day. Guess my mind's eye saw "contestants" even though that's not what you wrote.

I sampled Fantasia's new CD and was totally disappointed. I thought it failed to capture any unique flavor of her. Kelly's isn't too bad, and it might actually grow on me if I heard it an extra time or two, but I think there are other CDs out there in her genre by female artists who offer stronger vocals, lyrics and production. Of course, it's all about what you like personally.

-Ev

Sergent D
02-11-2005, 11:29 AM
The joke is on the American public. You know, the mindless sheep that buy whatever crap the music studios tell them to buy? None of the American Idol winners put in the real work that is required to make it in the music business.

Compare them to a typical garage band that made it big. Examples could be Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, etc. These guys poured blood, sweat, and tears into their art. They learned how to play their insturments, wrote their own songs, and started playing any crappy gig they could get. Since they had talent and vision, their music spread like wildfire. Before they even had an actual record deal they toured the country in vans they rented. They booked the gigs themselves and got paid just enough to get gas and food on the way to the next gig.

They had talent and they built a fan base on their own. They didn't rely on Megabucks Recording Lables that shell out money for advertisements and high tech equipment that adjusts the pitch of their voice to make it seem like they can sing. They did it themselves. That, my friends is how you build a 20+ year career in the music biz.

That is what music is about.

/end semi-OT rant.