PDA

View Full Version : SP2RC2

fishnet
07-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Any geeks out there besides Lestat? LOL. Just wondering if anyone was playing with the beta version besides me? I turned off the Security Center after about 3 hours. It's totally useless! I use my own firewall. Zone Alarm 5.0, Update virus definitions automatically and always download Microsoft's updates. The Security Center was making my processor work too hard. 20=60% usage with no programs open. ::) The improvements to I.E 6 are great. For more info got to...

http://www.securitypipeline.com/22102982;jsessionid=ULWZJVWGMJWUCQSNDBCCKHQ

Fish

Richard_Head
07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
huh?

fishnet
07-05-2004, 10:15 AM
huh?

LOL... Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 Beta is kinda like Windows 98 Second Edition. Now scheduled for release around September, it's Microsoft's attempt at plugging all the security holes in XP as well as adding several new features to keep people happy till Longhorn is released. The beta version is available for testing so I was wondering if any SCJ's were using it. It's 110MB download.

Moneywise
07-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Fishnet,

I always tend to let the eager beavers try it and then read their impressions before adding anything to my pc configuration. I usually make a concerted effort to stay away from betas (esp. anything by monopolsoft). :)

Try this (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) browser if you're tired of thge endless security holes discovered weekly in IE. That browser puts IE to bed. If anyone happens to try it let me know. I have a nifty plug in that allows you to permanently block ads from any website on the fly. ;)

Casual Observer
07-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Firefox is great; it's my primary browser for my systems and those of my clients. It's also very similar to IE, so neophytes can adapt to it easily.

As for the release candidate of SP2, I don't use them though I know people using the latest version and it's pretty damn stable for a beta.

As far as security is concerned, if you're not using a hardware firewall in a router, you're not doing it right.

fishnet
07-07-2004, 05:35 PM
I've heard good things about Firebird. The only reason I never tried it is because everytine I surf with Netscape I get Mozilla tracking cookies. I always firgured the browser must be some kind of clandestine spyware. ::)

Since my computer is for play only, I set it up as dual boot. D drive is for trying Beta or other new software. C is only for stuff that is proven. I have numerous backups of both drives in various stages just in case disaster strikes. Drive Image 7 works very well. ;) I'll put Firebird on D and give it a tryout. :)

BTW...I use a wireless router with 128 bit WEP encryption. I'd prefer WPA but couldn't get it to work. It's set not to allow other connections, to only recognize my MAC address and SSID broadcast is disabled. I'm invisible on Net Stumbler. ;D

fishnet
08-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Thought I'd let everyone know the the RTM of SP2 will hit Windows Update site next week on the 9th or 10th. If you don't want it, turn off automatic updates. I tried to download the final release tonight from the beta website but it was too busy. Guess I'll wait. ::)

Fish