PDA

View Full Version : Hero

Adina
09-04-2004, 01:51 PM
So, I saw the new Jet Li movie. I found the visuals very beautiful, and the martial arts choreography (sic) wonderful. I love Maggie Cheung's iciness and grace. But the plot was lacking. It struck me as a huge piece of Chinese political propaganda.

Anybody else see it?

afxturnip
09-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi,

It is a very beautiful movie and it's definitely one made with Chinese audiences in mind. I didn't find the movie to be propaganda at all, but now that I think about I can see where the emphasis on community rather than the individual could be seen as such.

I suppose I wasn't in the mood to fully appreciate it. I found the Rashomon aspect of the movie amateurish and annoying after a while.

But the visuals and the people were beautiful. Maggie Cheung and Zhang Zi Yi were both stunning.

I'll probably revisit it on DVD. I'm just overjoyed that Miramax didn't hack it up.

I've also heard a lot of praise for Tan Dun's soundtrack for the movie, but I found it to be very much a rehash of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's soundtrack.

-afx

mr_punk
09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
I found the visuals very beautiful, and the martial arts choreography (sic) wonderful.i agree, the cinematography, locations, special effects, etc are gorgeous (and movie is as pretentious as any other movie that takes it's subject way too seriously), but i'm not really that big of a big fan of wire-fu movies. if i want to see a good martial arts fight scene, give me a jackie chan/ken lo "Drunken Master 2" type fight or even jet li in "Fist Of Legend".

But the plot was lacking. It struck me as a huge piece of Chinese political propaganda.
i thought the script was lacking as well and jet li is about as fine of an actor as chuck norris ::). as far as the movie having elements of propaganda? you're right (wasn't this movie filmed in China?) and i think that influence had an effect on the movie because i thought it was overly pretentious and excessively sappy with this "our land" business. then again, it's not as heavy handed, as say the "Green Berets". after seeing that movie for the first time as a kid, i was ready to sign up and kill some pinko commies.

I'm just overjoyed that Miramax didn't hack it up.you mean Mira-Axe, don't you :D? i'm just glad they bringing these films to the states for the big screen, even if it's in a half-assed (cough*Shaolin Soccer*cough) manner. i used to think that the reason why Miramax re-edit, dub in american voices and basically hack these films to pieces was because the studio heads had contempt for the films. now, i think they're just trying to make the films pleasing to american audiences. if that's the case, i don't agree with it. i went to see the film "Zatoichi" (now, that was a great movie! Beat Takashi is da man) at this small art house theater. OTOH, i went to see "Hero" at one of those huge multiplex theaters with a bazillion screens. guess which theater had a warning that the movie was subtitled?