PDA

View Full Version : New front page...

Pryce
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
I know it doesn't look much different and it's not complete yet, but the new front page now loads on average in 0.35 seconds. I don't know if you remember, but the old one use to take forever - I had seen it take 40 seconds before. That wasn't acceptable.

;D Ahh...geeky triumphs and pleasures.

Now I've gotta run - I'm late for a party and GF's giving me that look!

VADEN
10-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes! It is much faster! ;) The only thing I am unhappy with is the size of our pics that we post. It is almost pointless to have a pic thread now....:(

onlythebest
10-10-2004, 04:08 AM
I agree.The Picture Post room isn't what it used to be anymore.I liked the bigger pictures much better.Is there any way you guys can fix that,or no???Thanks.

VenusGoddess
10-10-2004, 05:15 AM
The only problem with the bigger pics was the amount of bandwidth that the section sucked up. Bandwidth costs money...so the more control you have over the size of the pics...then the more cost effective it is...

Pryce
10-10-2004, 01:36 PM
They're only thumbnails. When you click on them they are 640x640. Are you saying the thumbnails are too small or the pictures when you click on them?

VADEN
10-10-2004, 04:47 PM
They're only thumbnails. When you click on them they are 640x640. Are you saying the thumbnails are too small or the pictures when you click on them?
I did not know that when you clicked on the thumb nail, it would take you to a bigger pic... Very cool! I have noticed that a few people posted pic's though and they are not thumbnails, how are they doing this?

Rhiannon
10-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Hey Hon.. I think the difference is between the uploading pics, and just posting the image link (when it's hosted someplace else). I hope that makes sense, because I just confused myself.. LOL

I think that when you upload to the site, it creates a thumbnail (for easier viewing), but if you post an image link, it'll just appear as the size it is.

doc-catfish
10-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Awkward as the thumbnails look, it is perhaps better that they appear that way. Aside from saving bandwidth, it cuts the load time of a page down considerably for people like me still accessing the site with an antiquated 56K modem.

On the old Picture Post board, I didn't mind waiting for an image to load on a page the first time that I saw it. But on subsequent visits to that same page, waiting for a picture to load that I had already seen was rather bothersome. With the thumbnail feature, you don't have to worry about that.

Pryce
10-10-2004, 05:49 PM
;D

The reason why we did thumbnails is two-fold. As VG mentioned, pictures are the most costly thing we have on this site. MOST of the picture viewers are nameless web-surfers. We've set it so non-members can't see attachments anymore, but they can see thumbnails as encouragement to join. Now we're not footing the bill for thousands of nameless visitors.

Second, huge pictures no longer break the pages and make 'em all extra wide. Remember that problem? The forums also auto-resize pictures for those who don't know how. 8)

We're working on something for wide linked-to pictures so that they won't break the page width too. Perhaps a scroll-bar or something like that...

And Doc beat me to another good reason!

onlythebest
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
I am utterly confused.You now have to resize the pics before posting them now???How do you post pics now???Is it a different process???Sorry,dummy here.

VenusGoddess
10-11-2004, 07:01 AM
No, I believe that the site is programmed to make the pics a certain size before it posts them. If you attach a pic, it'll come up as a thumb nail. If you link a pic, it'll be posted "smaller" but not thumbnail small. It'll help keep the pages and pictures from going bonkers. :D

onlythebest
10-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I tried that but it says the file types are too large.

Pryce
10-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Could you paste the exact message you get and let me know the file name?

onlythebest
10-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Pryce,Mojo helped me understand the problem.Thank you for your patience.