PDA

View Full Version : DJs - How did you get started?

noelle
10-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey DJs,

I'm curious as to how you guys got started working as strip club DJs. It seems like there are a lot of guys out there who would love to do this, but how do you get into a gig without experience? Did you start DJing somewhere else? Were you taken under the wing of another DJ? Tell me!

Blade
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I walked into a club with a shitty dj, got to know the owner and basically bullshitted my way behind the mic, and stole the djs job.

phillydj
10-25-2004, 01:30 PM
I heckeled a dj at a bar my friends girlfriend was at...he basicly said" you think you can do better?"..I did and was hired that day.

Hate
10-25-2004, 02:02 PM
I walked into a club with a shitty dj, got to know the owner and basically bullshitted my way behind the mic, and stole the djs job.

I did about the same thing. I knew alot of dancers and always keep them up on the latest and greatest songs, then just sort of pushed my way in. Started working Sunday and Monday nights and the rest is history. LOL}:D

DJ_WuLf
10-25-2004, 02:59 PM
I started as a manager and realized the DJ is the guy makin all the money. I hired myself immediately.

disturbedfck
10-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Always wanted to try. My brother got me in as a barback. On St.Patricks Day in 2003 the dj scheduled for night shift did his 'no call no show'.....again. The day dj had another gig to get to at his irish night club. So, they asked me to give it a try, they couldn't get a hold of anyone else. It was either me or the manager and he wanted no part of the mic. I got two days shifts from that and kept plugging away until I'm where I'm at today Friday thru Monday nights.

Slump busting is for real. I credit hard work and large women for my success.

Djoser
10-29-2004, 04:28 AM
I got started as a Spring Break DJ. It is very different in many ways, but has many similarities as well. The Spring Break crowds are dominated by male fantasies, for the most part, which is why the final event of the day is invariably the Wet T-shirt Contest.

I have never experienced such a feeling of power as when I had about 2000 people in the palm of my hand. The roar of 2000 throats chanting whatever you want them to is an amazing thing, and can be heard a long way off, I'm told.

On the other hand, this is in no way preferable to picking the right song for the right woman at the right time, and helping her dominate the senses and sensibilities of one tenth that number, with the power and beauty of her movement.

Even having had the Spring Break experience, it was no easy task getting my foot in the door in stripclubs. I finally did so by hanging out in a club a good friend of mine was dancing in. The club had two DJs that were so bad, even the meth-head carpenter's helper the owner had made manager could see it. So he gave me a try, though even that required some perseverance on my part.

The phenomenal turn around this club experienced with me working weekends did little to help me get my next gig--as they wanted the shrieking baboon style DJ. The job after that I got by offering to work one night for free, and as I assured the manager--it would be enough. The next one was more difficult, and never did I enjoy the confidence of that manager, but his brain had been addled by so many drugs, he was a poor judge of talent indeed.

The next job was easy, as the manager of a new club that was opening had been talking to women I had worked with at the club where management was so unappreciative. Unfortunately this club had serious trouble with zoning etc, and never really got off the ground.

And so forth, and so on...

This isn't an easy business to break into, or to have one's true worth appreciated. Confidence is all-important, and a thick skin. Detroit is no different than Daytona in this respect.

erotictonic
10-29-2004, 04:55 AM
See, I wish I had this type of talent. Some people can talk their way into anything. ;)