PDA

View Full Version : question for BLADE or DJ's

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
10-31-2004, 08:01 AM
My wife is auditioning today, so we went to the club last night to see what the deal was on saturday nights, it was pretty busy, and they had two girls dancing on the main stage most of the time..
but anyway, on with the question-

now i myself am a very musical person, and have played in bands since i was 15, and more recently, quit doing the band thing and started making electronic music. what i noticed about some of the tracks, was they seemed to be remixed or slightly enhanced rock tracks with a mild electronic beat element to make it seem more "dancey". is there some shadow industry that produces these kinds of tracks for the club/dance type scene?
i could be imagining this, and maybe some of these are radio tracks, but i really don't know as we are not "club-going" or conventional radio listening persons.

wow i bet this isnt clear at all, but here goes anyway hahaha

*hits submit*

Blade
10-31-2004, 09:50 AM
My wife is auditioning today, so we went to the club last night to see what the deal was on saturday nights, it was pretty busy, and they had two girls dancing on the main stage most of the time..
but anyway, on with the question-

now i myself am a very musical person, and have played in bands since i was 15, and more recently, quit doing the band thing and started making electronic music. what i noticed about some of the tracks, was they seemed to be remixed or slightly enhanced rock tracks with a mild electronic beat element to make it seem more "dancey". is there some shadow industry that produces these kinds of tracks for the club/dance type scene?
i could be imagining this, and maybe some of these are radio tracks, but i really don't know as we are not "club-going" or conventional radio listening persons.

wow i bet this isnt clear at all, but here goes anyway hahaha

*hits submit*First let me say good luck to your wife...
Second, I'm not into electronic or dance music, but I'll do my best to answer your query.
Strip clubs seem to have an over abundance of remixes and watered down techno, is there a shadow industry that puts this out there for all of us to hear? Nope..what there is, is a vast amount of "djs" that have some kind of mixing equipment and a few songs. With the advacement of file sharing programs like winmx or kazaa they have managed to deluge the public with their music...everyone it seems these days is capable of making some kind of megamix, one day even I myself may attempt it(of course mine will have subliminal verses so I can rule the world, muahahahaha)
This is just my opinion and should of course be taken as fact....lol

VADEN
10-31-2004, 09:53 AM
one day even I myself may attempt it(of course mine will have subliminal verses so I can rule the world, muahahahaha)

I can't wait to hear it! ;)

BigGreenMnM
10-31-2004, 10:35 AM
I am guilty as charged when it comes to remixes.I do tend to play alot,more so then i do at regular dance clubs.

We cut the songs at 3:00.If its a song everyone can sing by heart,they know you just cut the song and might complain.If its a remix of their fav song,they dont know the difference if its cut at 3 or 4 mins.
I dont use internet downloads,but there is alot of remixes like Blade said on file share sites from dj's.
I use a few different services that are great at remixes.They are perfect for the dj who is just to lazy to do their own remixes or for us dj's who are just to old to care.

Promo only-Alt club series
Ultimix
X-mix
These are all good and i use them often.

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
10-31-2004, 01:20 PM
thanx for the clarifications, guys..

i hear all the techniques available in wav editing in this kinda stuff, so some of it is actually re-sampled and re-produced from the ground up so to speak.. just another gaggle of ppl infringing on copyright laws i suppose. like i care if def leppard collects royalties !!!

Djoser
10-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Promo only-Alt club series
These have some great tracks!! I thought they were only available in Florida, though.

There is too much bad techno in the stripclubs, but it's generally because a lot of DJs don't know whats better or worse techno--and that's not as bad as it sounds, because we all have different music genres we like, and you can't expect a guy who's really into rock to be up on the best techno remixes.

Very, very many groups will issue techno or technoized remixes of their hits as a matter of course. Even bands like Bush, for instance, which has a fantastic techno remix CD I use heavily "Deconstructed". Marylin Manson, White Zombie, Linkin Park, even Fear Factory (!) all have techno remixes of many of their bigger hits--all produced by them , or their recording studios, as opposed to anything which might be being remixed locally.

Madonna, Sara McLaughlin, and many other female vocalists also have techno remixes made in-house or by well-known big name DJs, as a matter of course, and many of these are very good. You gotta know how to pick 'em, or you'll lose a lot of your audience, and piss off the dancers as well. My girlfriend has been almost ruined for techno by DJs up here who don't know which songs to play for her.

Techno remixes are a hit-or-miss proposition, some of them are fantastic, and some of them are better off forgotten.

BigGreenMnM
10-31-2004, 04:15 PM
These have some great tracks!! I thought they were only available in Florida, though.

nahhhhh
you can get them all over.I subscribe to 5 of their series.It saves me alot of money buying retail and they usually release hits a month in advance,even releasing music before its retail release date.
Heres the link if anyone needs it.

Jay Zeno
10-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Cut every song off at three minutes.

I mean no offense to the practice, or the managers who dictate that, or the DJs who do it, or the dancers who like it - but you guys make me appreciate my home club more and more all the time. :D

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
10-31-2004, 07:04 PM
well, heard that def leppard remix again tonite at "Daphne's" audition.. (BTW she was hired, naturally... [ps she's hotttt hahhaah]

yea definitely re-sampled from the original track, maybe a few drum samples from a non-"pour sugar on me"-track.. nicely done really for what it was.. its not art of course.. just entertainment enhancement. kinda nice in my ears to hear an old hackney'd song re-tooled in a way that isnt overtly alienating.

maybe i'll remix something in my super, super SUPER spare time if anyone wants something remixed... (would be fun in a way, and really easy compared to what i make for my "real" stuff)

any requests? :)

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
10-31-2004, 08:39 PM
nice thoughts from all tho, dont get me wrong...

im just a guy who's a bit biased when it comes to "whatever works for strippers"

haha

Gerina
11-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I am addicted to dancing to "trance" remixes of songs at work lately, although I never really liked trance, lol. Anything used in the strip club has to be watered down, since most older men don't get it, and younger guys will critique you if it's been recently overplayed at a club. A customer burnt me an awesome cd, which includes a track of DJ Sammy's "Boys of Summer" - I love it, but nothing I dance to would I listen to for leisure. I mean, come on, we all loved Lords of Acid at age fourteen, but would we really appreciate it outside the club, lol?

BigGreenMnM
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
any requests? :)
I could burn in DJ hell for even suggesting this...

But Led Zepplin-when the Levy breaks.
Just a few more BPM and it could be stageable(is that a word?)as a slow song.

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
11-01-2004, 08:39 PM
easy, and its been sampled many many times.

how about a melody or something to snatch bits from a newer type song from a genre that doesnt match? thats always fun...

phillydj
11-01-2004, 09:01 PM
check some of this out

www.gohomeproductions.co.uk

check out his samples...mes the guy responsibe for "Ray Of Gob" which was a classic mix of the sex pistols and Madonna.

disturbedfck
11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
We do the ' 3 min. ' cut, also. I'm not real big on most remixes. I just don't like too many of them, so I don't play them as much. One of our guys just loves them and plays alot of them. Which brings me to a question, do most girls like them? Our girls complain about not being familiar with the song and just not liking it....."don't play me that remix shit", is a common phrase I hear.

Djoser
11-02-2004, 03:14 PM
The problem is, most of the remixes aren't that good, or even suck, or at best are just a rehash of the same old song which everyone is more familiar with in the way they are used to hearing it. Sometimes they are just plain wierd, and people will think you're on something if you play them, lol--avoid those!

Once in a while, though, you'll hit gold. I'd say easily less than 1 in 10 are really any good, and less for the hot ones.

Not very good odds. You have to treat these things like the other songs on a CD with one big radio hit--a lot of times you'll find another track or two on the CD that are even better than the hit.

If it's a cool band that knows how to have it done (White Zombie has a lot of excellent ones) or the remixers are really good, then it's well worth the time to root them out.

scorpio
11-12-2004, 12:51 AM
There are good remixes and there are shitty ones. There are good bootlegs, and there are shitty ones. You just have to know how to find them. generally the shitty ones are just cut and pasted or actually mixed as seperate tracks. The good remixes are built from the "ground up" by producers. For instance, Sarah McGlachlan will send BT the raw parts to a song. the vocals, etc, all seperate, and he will arrange them and produce the rest of the track and build it into full remix.