PDA

View Full Version : Now Thats What I Call A Sucky Re-Make!

Prester_John
10-31-2004, 05:40 PM
I just heard Marilyn Manson's re-make of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus". Man.. It just sucks. Its effing limp and lame, but more because it is almost an exact replica of the original. One would think MM would have put his personal spin on it (like he did with "Sweet Dreams" and "Tainted Love"). Im no great fan of Marylin Manson, but I can appreciate his better songs.

Anybody else have a re-make that sucks on their list? I dont mean the incidents when vapid, corporate created Pop "musicians" are directed by their label to re-make a song (they are always disasters, so they dont count). I mean when an artist, I suppose, had true intentions of re-doing a song, and blowing it.

Katrine
10-31-2004, 06:55 PM
A Perfect Circle "Imagine". Well, its not awful, but something is off.....

The remake of the Berlin song "Sex". I think Peaches re-did it, slooooooooow and lame.

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
"remixes" (which usually aren't really a proper elelctronic remix from original samples) don't usually match up to, and even less frequently, better the originals.

especially when a decade has gone by.

the tools of today cant capture the magical timbres of the 80's, as bands of the 90's can rarely re-interpret a song from the 1970's (see metallica's "turn the page") to bring any innovation to the table...

IMHO

Djoser
11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
That goddamned Kid Rock needs to stick with what made him famous.

"Feel Like Makin' Love" (his version) is a terrible song.

Hmmm, I know there's more...

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
11-01-2004, 07:27 AM
another one:

unkle cracker's version of that "bring me the beat boys" (dunno title or artist)

something stylisitically happened in the 90's in regards to singing rock tunes. its hard to describe but i think of it as "fake over-emotion"

Jay Zeno
11-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Old-fart stuff.

Kenny Rogers' remake of Bob Seger's "We Got Tonight." A lusty, earthy song turned into a sleazy-sounding croon.

Some country-western singer did a remake of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart." Perhaps it worked as a lilting country song, but to those of us raised on Joplin's raw, ripping blues, it was a travesty.

Bridgette
11-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Well. I know you said not to include the ever so tiresome pop remakes, but I HATE HATE HATE Britney's remake of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". UGH UGH UGH!!! And what really kills me is how all these lil teeny bopper girls I work with play it thinking it's just SUCH a cool attitud-y, "you tell 'em Britney" kinda song. :yuck:

Djoser
11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
something stylisitically happened in the 90's in regards to singing rock tunes. its hard to describe but i think of it as "fake over-emotion"Uh, yeah. Jesus, you hit the nail on the head.

I have no sympathy for the angst of these pampered rock stars singing about now miserable/depressed/misunderstood they are. This style of vocals seems to have peaked in the 90's, but we are still dealing with it today.

Moaning, groaning, whining (the latter subgenre brought into comedic form with the execrable Green Day)--I really just wish they would shut up and play the fucking music. Plenty of people have plenty more to be depressed about than these pretentious, pampered narcissists. I'm all for expressing oneself through Art, and some of the finest Art owes its origins to suffering, but enough is enough. Furthermore, it seems to be a requirement that most of these guys (and they are almost all guys aren't they?) sound like they dropped out of school in 6th grade.

Rant over, lol.

§†®ÁwbÊ®R¥_Kî$$ʧ's_hubby
11-01-2004, 10:33 AM
yea i think i heard that britney / brown thing the other night (i'm so involved in my realm that i barely ever get exposed to anything pop music or television) it was pretty atrocious sounding like all her other stuff..
i love the ridiculous "lets cram as much sexuality into this britney product we have here" in her vocals.. all the little grunts and "uhn"s .. when i hear it i almost laugh sometimes.

nice rant there Djoser hehe

>>>Furthermore, it seems to be a requirement that most of these guys (and they are almost all guys aren't they?) sound like they dropped out of school in 6th grade.<<<<<

*STAIND* im looking in your direction hahahahah

Gerina
11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Prester John, I totally love Marilyn Manson and absolutely hate that version of the song. It was perfect the first time. As for others...

Fred Durst's remake of "Behind Blue Eyes" - When I first heard it, I thought it was almost cool, but now that I have to hear it five times a week when a coworker uses it, I understand I was just being nostalgic.
"Smooth Criminal" should never have been a hit in the first place, nor remade, and
Sheryl Crow butchered the hell out of GNR's "Sweet Child of Mine", although I don't think I like GNR's version of Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"...I'm sure there's so many more.

madmaxine
11-01-2004, 01:14 PM
The New Wave/ Romantic covers on the soundtrack for "50 First Dates" were appropo for the movie, but the tempos were so slooooww......depressing.
Madonna's cover of Don MacLean's "American Pie"- why?
On a different note, I've heard originals that could be done WAAY better by a new artist!

EDIT: someone re-did Bryan Ferry's "Slave to Love"...NOOOOOO.....

Prester_John
11-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Hmmm, I know there's more...
Jeez.. talk about destroying a song that had already been overplayed for years.

doc-catfish
11-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Other dishonorable mentions: :thumbsdown:

Shinedown covering Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man".
Metallica covering Bob Seger's "Turn The Page."
Pat Boone covering well...just about anything. Remember this disaster?

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drc800/c866/c86650lf4qn.jpg

OTOH, I kind of dig Korn's cover of "Word Up". :thumbsup:

Lexi
11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Well. I know you said not to include the ever so tiresome pop remakes, but I HATE HATE HATE Britney's remake of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". UGH UGH UGH!!! And what really kills me is how all these lil teeny bopper girls I work with play it thinking it's just SUCH a cool attitud-y, "you tell 'em Britney" kinda song. :yuck:
LOL I was gonna say the same thing, but then saw that he didnt want us to include pop. In any case, the remake is HORRRRRRRRRRRIBLE. She sounds like she has a cold AND is holding her nose at the same time. Nasty

slashingbeauty
11-04-2004, 12:46 AM
"Blue Monday". Any of the 300 remakes that have been done. I didn't mind it at first, but it is played ALL THE TIME at my club.
I agree with the icky remake of "Simple Man". It's a great song originally, but geez.
And although I like Cake, I have to say that nothing, and I mean nothing, beats Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive".
An any and all remakes of "Sweet Home Alabama". Why mess with a good thing?

-slashingbeauty

SmokyBrownEyez
11-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Yikes, someone did a remake of "Slave to Love"? Who! That "Take my Breath Away" remake sucked and I always loved that song. Jessica Simpson almost ruined the memory for me. Also I don't care for Toby Lightman's cover of "Real Love" by Mary J. Blige. "Real Love" was better the first time around.

azamber
11-04-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty upset that Korn re made Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall. Some things you just don't mess with...

(not to mention, Korn are ASSHOLES, I danced for a few of them. They suck)

MrChristopher
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
hey i actually kinda like korn's version, or at least the way they smooshed parts 1-3 all together and threw "goodbye cruel world" on the end. sue me.

azamber
11-04-2004, 10:18 AM
All I'm sayin' is you can't re-make perfection...

OR "smoosh" it together. Can't believe they let them get away with it!

Sorry, I'm just a die hard Floyd fan since I was in gradeschool.

MrChristopher
11-04-2004, 10:20 AM
well, it's loads better than the craptastic disco-ish dancey remake of "comfortably numb" by the scissor sisters. that one makes my pucker twitch.

azamber
11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Never heard it, and hopefully I never do!

MrChristopher
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllly bad. they cheesed it all out. it's actually worth hearing just to remind you how good the original is.

BigGreenMnM
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
I like korns remake of word up.I also like the remake version of the metro by ummmmmm
uhhhhhhhh
ahhhhhhhhhh

crap....
I forgot.
Guess it isnt that good.

MrChristopher
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
oh the one on the altclub cd last month. um. BGM i think it was.

BigGreenMnM
11-04-2004, 11:00 AM
yea yea thats it!
Not as good as berlin(god i wanted that chic bad in highschool!)
but its ok.

MrChristopher
11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
agreed. terri nunn from berlin was the subject of many a lonely masturbatory evening in HS.

phillydj
11-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Ahhh...least ye forget "The Metro" covered by...System Of A Down

madmaxine
11-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey, this thread proves there is uniformly good taste on this forum!

I'm not sure who covered "Slave to Love".......the 10,000 Maniacs cover of Roxy Music's "More than This" was a big radio hit. (The original is far better, of course.)

Well folks..." Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery..." ; p

Blade
11-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty upset that Korn re made Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall. Some things you just don't mess with...

(not to mention, Korn are ASSHOLES, I danced for a few of them. They suck)I hate pink floyd but love korns version!

azamber
11-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Well Blade, you know how I feel about that. }:D

Blade
11-04-2004, 03:31 PM
yes I do..but that doesnt change how I feel about you...haha

azamber
11-04-2004, 03:34 PM
:P

lilac666
11-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah the "Personal Jesus" remake sux. God I hate it so much! Marilyn Manson has become so boring. I also really hated his version of "Tainted Love" too. But I really don't like remakes in general. Too nostolgic I think. But if a pop group comes out of any cover of a Ramones song or another punk song I'll just puke!

Rhiannon
11-04-2004, 04:38 PM

Hmmm, I know there's more...Indeed Dj! Keerist, he killed that song! It was never meant to be SHOUTED through. He should just stick to whatever his stuff is, and leave the classics alone. Blech!

I've never kept it a secret how much I loathe remakes anyway. I think the originals should be left alone. In my opinion, if you have remake someone else's song, you're severely lacking in the talent department.

SonicBones
11-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I cringe when I hear Guns And Roses version of Wings-"Live And Let Die". I kinda like G+R but I think their cover versions are horrible.Their version of Bob Dylan-"Knocking On Heavens Door" sucked as well. They tried too hard to play up their bad boy image by doing songs such as the aforementioned. Kinda corny actually.

Jay Zeno
11-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Ummm.... I liked the Outlaws remake of "Ghost Riders In The Sky"..................

Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of "Little Wing" was more of a tribute to Jimi Hendrix than a remake, I thought, and very well done indeed. "Voodoo Child" was a remake, and I do like it as much, or better, than the Hendrix version.

Cream's "Crossroads" was done by someone else first. I can't remember who. (Later edit: Blues legend Robert Johnson)

Generally, Rhi, I agree. But they're not all bad.

And Amber, I'm with ya. Don't mess with Floyd - at least not in the Waters era.

bdoc
11-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Ummm, I think of Britney and and have wishes of her surrounded by 100's of rabid pygmys with hard-ons. Somebody shoot either her or me!

Dwight Yoakem redid the Dead's Truckin'.. wtf is up with that?

Turn the page was pure blasphemy. They even distorted the meaning by that dumbass video. Of course, i lost faith in Metallica after the whole Napster thing. (sharing is caring, fuck RIAA)

Madonna and American Pie? Puhlease!

If there are any musicians in these forums, PLEASE LEAVE THE CLASSICS ALONE!

NikkiD
11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Amen!!