PDA

View Full Version : Bush Wins!! Kerry Concedes!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gabe
11-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Woooohooooooooo!!!

4 more years!!!

RedZ28
11-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Hell i feel safer already. Kerry did the classy thing and concede when he saw the writing on the wall. Ohio is not this year's Florida.

Chani_Fremen
11-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Red. I have a question. Where do you live? Because unless you live in L.A., Chicago, or N.Y.C. terrorists don't care about attacking you.

madmaxine
11-03-2004, 09:43 AM
....Of debt, war, and a dubiously credentialed President. Thank God my ancestors went through worse in their lifetimes, otherwise I'd be sweating. If the Clinton Adminstration shunted off a chance for us to see the worst the Bush clan could do before, I can't hardly wait for the next four. Bring it on.

hardkandee
11-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Woooohooooooooo!!!

4 more years!!!
Great. I'm thrilled.:banghead:
Great news on the day that your period is late...:ill:

Man this sucks.

Djoser
11-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Woooohooooooooo!!!

4 more years!!!
I hope that you will be happy when the Jesus squads close down your local stripclub. GWB sure will be...

Emily
11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
I have to say I feel let down by my country. I really thought we were ready for change, and half of us were, but it really seems like there are two different countries in this country and they are divided very distinctively.

BUT, I do take pride in this country and our democracy. I think that in itself is way more important than who won this election. I really hope that Bush really can improve the economy, health care, and foreign affairs. If nothing else, in 4 years the Republicans will probably have Dick Cheney as their presidential nominee, which will help the Democratic party tremendously!

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 10:04 AM
This is a sad day..

There WILL be a draft and I WILL move to Canada.

I get to continue to live without health insurance.
Have more of my rights taken away from me everyday.
Get fundamentalist christian values shoved down our throats even more.
Watch the rich get richer.
Halliburton and the Carlyle Group are so happy they are going to make even more money now.
One word...ENRON.
Oil.

WE ARE SO FUCKED.

It is truely a sad day.

What a redneck, piece of shit.

I am so angry and sad right now.

Wwanderer
11-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I think Kerry would have been a bad president, and I think that Bush already is one, but I am happy that we have a reasonably clear and definite result, electoral and popular, exeutive and legislative branches. At least if the course on which the country has been set leads to serious problems or real disasters (which may well happen, imo), it will have been on the basis of a democratic process and the preferences of a majority, even if it is not a very large majority, of the voters. I hope for the best, but don't expect it.

Meanwhile, back home on the ranch, Bush/Republican supporters on this particular forum should be somewhat concerned by how many of the people who went their way identified "moral issues" as the most important determinent of their votes (according to exit polls), especially in some of the key swing states. I do not think that the influence of the religious right, moral majority wing within the Rep party is going to be decreasing any time soon.

-Ww

A_Guy
11-03-2004, 10:15 AM
WE ARE SO FUCKED.

It is truely a sad day.

I agree... I can't imagine what the next 4 years are going to be like. Well, I guess I better submit to this god he follows because "you're either with us or against us" ::) ::)

and on another note.. Misfit, where in Ohio do you live?

Pazzo
11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
you are fucked because you have no insurance?? Kerry would ahve personally gotten you insurance? he said it but it doesnt mean it would have happened. Whatever they promise is something you can only guarantee wont happen.
Being from the NYC area i feel a lot better with Bush in office. I feel that we are safer against terrorism with him in the white house. I think Kerrys diplomatic approach and military budget cuts would have left us destroyed by terrorists and having only enough funding to fight them off by throwing sticks and stones.
With him the closest thing we would have to a missle is a slingshot.
Outside of terrorism I believe in domestic matters Mickey Mouse would do more for us than either of these guys. I wish someone would run for president who had some intelligence and wanted to do things for American people first.

mermaidnz
11-03-2004, 10:25 AM
ok, admitadally i know nothing about american politics, but why the fuck did you guys all want bush to get in, a dumbfuck obsessed with war doesnt sound like a good leader to me.

in saying that, i dont know any of his other policies, im just saying i think hes a tosser,and really didnt think ya all would be so stupid to vote him in again!!

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
I live in Cleveland, Ohio. One of the places in the US hit the hardest with job loss. Some of our city's schools are being forced to shut down because our city is flat broke. We also have lost transportation(buses) for children to get to school....I could go on and on. My city is crumbling...BADLY.

And yet my state, votes for that moron. The county I live in though Kerry won. It was one of the only counties he won in Ohio.

TO PAZZO...

When you have medical problems and have no health insurance it is a big deal.

And you being from NYC, you should definatly not want Bush re-elected. If he wasn't elected president, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. At least that is what I believe.

Emily
11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Mermaid:

I obviously did not vote for Bush, but I know why a lot of people did.

First seemed to be national security. The felt that Kerry would compromise or military and we would be more susceptible to attack. A lot of people are hesitant about chaning leadership in the middle of a war.

He also gained a lot of support from the rural areas, which have more traditional, church-going values. Bush supports the Religious Right considerably more than Kerry.

then there are the rich people who like hiim because he will let them keep more of their money.

Chani_Fremen
11-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey misfit! I am originally from the North East Ohio Area too. I am in Toledo now for school but I was thinking of transfering back to Cleveland. But now with Bush I might go to U. of Toronto now.

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm concidering moving to Canada too Tigerlilly. There will be a draft reguardless of what Bush says and I will not go to Iraq and fight for something I do not believe in.

Emily
11-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Tigerlilly....I understand why you're pessimisstic, and I think if this country were going to be like this foreve, then I'd probably follow you. But I think history shows that no political party has a dynasty on this country. Things inevitably change.

madmaxine
11-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm going to stay in the US. I like to antagonize people, so what better place to stay, where the leader of the country is a confirmed chucklehead and the whole world knows it? Four years of good hard material to argue about.......Garry Trudeau and Bill Maher will not hurt for material.....see, not everyone suffers......

A_Guy
11-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I live in Cleveland, Ohio. One of the places in the US hit the hardest with job loss. Some of our city's schools are being forced to shut down because our city is flat broke. We also have lost transportation(buses) for children to get to school....I could go on and on. My city is crumbling...BADLY.

And yet my state, votes for that moron. The county I live in though Kerry won. It was one of the only counties he won in Ohio.

Cleveland here also. At least we can take comfort in the like minded people in our proximity.... Unfortunately, that means relatively nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm concidering moving to Canada
With republican control of the presidency, house & senate, that might not be such a bad idea...

Casual Observer
11-03-2004, 10:41 AM

I've been to Cleveland. It's been crumbling for 20 years. You want to delude yourself into laying that at the feet of the GOP and GWB? Be my guest. Like Tip O'Neil said, "All politics is local."

As for those of you that want to take your ball and go play somewhere else because the election didn't go your way, that's pretty sad and cowardly. Enjoy your new digs, and be sure to revoke your citizenship for someone who wants it here.

heartk0re
11-03-2004, 10:41 AM
:shocking: nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking:

feel let down by my country..... yea right, my country makes me ill.

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dude. You have NO fucking idea what you are talking about.

Yeah Cleveland has been crumbling for years but in the last 4 years it has gotten BAD...REALLY REALLY BAD. We are closing HALF of our schools because we can't afford to keep them open, we had to lay off hundreds of POLICE OFFICERS who serve and protect our community because we don't have the money to pay them, FIRE FIGHTERS....yeah, they are gone too, WE HAD TO GET RID OF GARBAGE CANS.....GARBAGE CANS!!!! THAT IS HOW POOR MY CITY IS! It can't even afford to keep garbage cans on our streets!!!

Go talk to some of the children of Cleveland about how many of them are born into poverty. We have the most children born into poverty here than in the entire United States and it's getting worse. So don't fucking tell me to grin and bear it because we've been doing it long enough. You don't have a fucking clue, you really don't.

Emily
11-03-2004, 10:49 AM
How do you become a Canadian citizen?

Jay Zeno
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
How do you become a Canadian citizen? I'll ask my Canadian neighbors for you. ;)

mermaidnz
11-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm concidering moving to Canada too Tigerlilly. There will be a draft reguardless of what Bush says and I will not go to Iraq and fight for something I do not believe in.
wtf? even girls get drafted!!!?? thats bs. id get the hell out too!! lol

Jay Zeno
11-03-2004, 10:59 AM
I seriously doubt that there will be a draft. The only legislation to have a draft was submitted by a couple Democrats in some minor consciousness-raising ploy. But if there ever is a draft, it's hard to argue equal rights and still exclude women of draft age.

Casual Observer
11-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah Cleveland has been crumbling for years but in the last 4 years it has gotten BAD...REALLY REALLY BAD. We are closing HALF of our schools because we can't afford to keep them open, we had to lay off hundreds of POLICE OFFICERS who serve and protect our community because we don't have the money to pay them, FIRE FIGHTERS....yeah, they are gone too, WE HAD TO GET RID OF GARBAGE CANS.....GARBAGE CANS!!!! THAT IS HOW POOR MY CITY IS! It can't even afford to keep garbage cans on our streets!!!

All of which, while sad, are local governance issues.

Pissed off? Awesome; that's what makes political movements work. Take it up with your local leadership. GWB isn't responsible for your municipality imploding on itself, much as you find it convenient to make him a scapegoat.

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
So it's just a coincidence that once the president took over Ohio got hit with the biggest job loss? So he isn't responsible for the outsourcing of all of our jobs? That is laughable.

He isn't a scapegoat, he's a moron that should have never been elected president and the only reason he ever got into politics is because of his daddy.

Emily
11-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm still surprised that a state (OH) that considered unemployment to be one of its biggest concerns, voted so heavily for Bush.

mermaidnz
11-03-2004, 11:09 AM
glad to be a kiwi now ;)
meh so we have crime,and poverty too, but least we got lord of the rings and no bush! hehe

sucks to be you tho. is it really that bad in cleavland??omg. and isnt the theme song for a show something about "cleavland rocks!" i was lied to? damn

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 11:10 AM
It surprised me too Emily. I am a resident of Ohio and I voted for Kerry. Unfortunatly, there was a higher voter turn out in Southern Ohio (which is mostly Republican) and that is how Bush won Ohio. The majority of Northeastern Ohioians, like myself, voted for Kerry.

A_Guy
11-03-2004, 12:06 PM
In case you're curious, here's the breakdown by county in Ohio:

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/4493/ohio.jpg

Cuyohoga county in the northeast (home of Cleveland) has a population of around 1.4 million and voted 67% to 33% in favor of Kerry

RedZ28
11-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Nothern NJ here. So the events of 9/11 still resonate strongly. Clinton was a great domestic President but internationally we were considered irrelevant for eight years. We were attacked by Al-Qaida several times during his administration: World Trade Center in 1993, Somalia in 1993, USS Cole in 1998 off the coast of Yemen, US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. Plenty of law enforcement, firefighters and military personnel endorse President Bush. As for the draft, it won't happen. The legislation that proposed it was by two high profile, Democratic representatives, one of which is Charles Rangel from NY. We've had an all volunteer military since the 1970s and it will continue to stay that way.

Tigerlilly
11-03-2004, 12:39 PM
How do you become a Canadian citizen?A person can apply for citizenship after 3 years -- here's the full info for anyone interested:

Madcap
11-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Let's just say this: I can't talk politics with certain friends of mine in the near future. Leave it there.

discretedancer
11-03-2004, 12:57 PM
AMericans chose Vanilla (Bush) over Vanilla Bean (Kerry). Let's face it...neither one is an amazing choice.

That being said, as someone who believes in conservation (as conservatives once did, the first national parks were created by a republican) and has seen the last 4 years undo much of the progress of the last 20, I'm worried what W will do with no re-election to worry about

Emily
11-03-2004, 01:44 PM
even though Bush can't run again, he still represents his party, so he has to be mindful of that.

Rhiannon
11-03-2004, 01:53 PM
::Sigh::

Well, at least Kerry took this state (RI). Glad to see my vote at least counted for that.

:(

Madcap
11-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Look at the breakdown for Missourri. STL is solid blue among a fucking SEA of red.

That does it, man, i'm packing up and moving to Chi town. At least Illinois had some sense last night.

madmaxine
11-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Madcap- Well, that means we gotta take our free-minded thinking down to the farm, out of the cities....I'm sure they'll listen if you bring some Budweiser (isn't that brewed in St. Louis?)
Re: Cleveland, Ohio- I have been there, and nearby Erie. It all doesn't look so bad from the plane, but in the city, you can see where the manufacturing base has taken hits. Some cities were able to recover from the loss of steel mills and related industries (like Pittsburgh, PA) and some not as well. I will say the people weather the hardship with great dignity...which is what makes America great. (That, and Budweiser.)

FONDL
11-03-2004, 02:10 PM
A few thougts here: first, I wasn't a Kerry supporter but I was very impressed with the classy way he handled today. He clearly has positioned himself to be the leader of his party for the future. He did exactly what Al Gore should have done. it will be interesting to see what Hilary does now.

Did any of you hear Ralph Nader's speech? He made a big point that Republicans and Democrats are virtually alike, that both parties play to big business because that's where the money is, and ignore common people, the envorinment, minorities, etc. I don't agree with him entirely but I think he has a point. I especially think that environmentalists and minorities have marginalized themselves by always voting Democratic - both parties can and do ignore their interests with impunity.

I heard a CNN announcer say last night that strong and very active support from a colition of churches in southern Ohio was the main reason Bush won the state.

Seems to me we're becoming increasingly a country of city vs. rural - small towns, with suburbia being the swing area. That's clearly true in my state of Pennsylvania, where if D's come out of Philly with a 400,000 edge they win the state. Kerry won PA largely because of strong late support from the governor and strong D machine efforts to get out the vote in Philly, aided by very nice weather. Funny but weather has a lot to do with who wins in PA because it has a major impact on the inner city vote. I wonder if that was a factor in Ohio, where I believe it rained.

And last but probably most important, lost in all the discussion of the presidency was something that's probably even more important: yesterday was a huge day for Republicans, who increased their majorities in both the House and Senate and increased their lead in governorships. And everywhere that gay marriage was on the ballot it lost big time. If you ignore the very close electoral college vote and look at Bush's fairly sizable margin in the popular vote along with everything else, some would call this a huge mandate in support of the Republican agenda. I think that the religious right were the big winners yesterday. I'm not one of them by the way, that's just an observation.

doc-catfish
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
As far as I'm concerned:

1. Same shit, different day.
2. I'm glad it's over.

MisfitBunnie
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Yup, Bush plays the religion card so he gets the vote of the majority of fundamentalist christians.

The conservatives will always get the religious right on their side therefore they will get more votes.

CharlotteInTN
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
And last but probably most important, lost in all the discussion of the presidency was something that's probably even more important: yesterday was a huge day for Republicans, who increased their majorities in both the House and Senate and increased their lead in governorships. And everywhere that gay marriage was on the ballot it lost big time. If you ignore the very close electoral college vote and look at Bush's fairly sizable margin in the popular vote along with everything else, some would call this a huge mandate in support of the Republican agenda. I think that the religious right were the big winners yesterday. I'm not one of them by the way, that's just an observation.
That is the part that scares me. I already live in the Bible belt and can see how the religious people try to control everything. It scares me to think the majority of our house and senate and American people are part of that.

azamber
11-03-2004, 03:30 PM
ok, admitadally i know nothing about american politics, but why the fuck did you guys all want bush to get in, a dumbfuck obsessed with war doesnt sound like a good leader to me.

in saying that, i dont know any of his other policies, im just saying i think hes a tosser,and really didnt think ya all would be so stupid to vote him in again!!

I didn't vote for Bush, neither did half the country. We tried. Still a possibility that the e-voting machines had some extra votes on them, like they did the morning before the polls opened. I too find it hard to believe he got back in. Go ahead, give me a tin foil hat, I think he stole this one too. And I'm still shocked at the people who voted Republican on this board, especially considering Bush's religious/moral agenda. If the religious right had their way, we'd all be out of work!

Gonna be an interesting ride, anyone want to help me fight the draft if it comes down to that??? And yes, they'll be drafting women if there is one. I heard 18-35 especially those with certain skills like computers. Here's an article I read this morning about it. Don't know much about Sen. Harkin, but this is his opinion.

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2004/10/29/10950

Gabe
11-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I think he stole this one too

Your 100% right, I was paid 60 million dollars to vote for bush.

Prepare for a brighter tomorrow, a better future!!

Michael Moore has FAILED miserably. All his work, movies, and protesting is all for nothing. He can make 100 more movies but guess what? My Georgy will be sleeping in the white house tonight baby!!!!

Woooohoooooooooo.

4 more years!!!!!

Casual Observer
11-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Gonna be an interesting ride, anyone want to help me fight the draft if it comes down to that??? And yes, they'll be drafting women if there is one. I heard 18-35 especially those with certain skills like computers. Here's an article I read this morning about it. Don't know much about Sen. Harkin, but this is his opinion.

Harkin is a blathering idiot. Always has been, always will be. He was only successful in the Senate because he could muster ethanol subsidies...

This draft nonsense is another scare tactic that the Left used (like the annual Social Security and Medicare scares) that failed miserably Tuesday. People that believe the draft is impending are just as ignorant and ill-informed as the folks that think Iraq was in on the 9/11 attacks or that Cheney still runs Halliburton or that Kerry shot himself in the leg for a Purple Heart. They're also prone to wearing tin-foil headgear.

There will be no draft. The Pentagon doesn't want a bunch of conscripts fighting a war; they're more expensive to train, equip and deploy than regular volunteer forces, and their rate of casualties is historically much higher. Furthermore, the Pentagon hasn't called for one--they're meeting their recruitment goals for non-Reserve units, which are the units that matter.

The only people that have asked for the draft have been posturing Dems like Rangel. And when it came up for a vote, he voted against his own bill.

azamber
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info on Harkin, but his article did make some sense. How can anyone be sure either way, until/unless it actually happens? The possibility scares me, but it is just that, a possibility. I'm not going to say it will or won't happen, but the fact that it's out there makes me think and want to do something about it, if need be.

Adina
11-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Yes, this is definitely cause for a celebratory mood:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=544&e=11&u=/ap/20041103/ap_on_go_pr_wh/debt_ceiling

Who do you think is going to pay for all of this?

Lexi
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
And you being from NYC, you should definatly not want Bush re-elected. If he wasn't elected president, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. At least that is what I believe.
That is a pretty harsh statement. I doubt that anyone can actually prove that. So Bush is in office and the terrorists just went off to kill the thousands on 9/11? Why didnt they personally go after HIM? They ARE smart enough...