PDA

View Full Version : culture of life

goldclubbing
11-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Bush wants our country to move towards a "culture of life"...where are we now and what do you all think that means?:-\

Jay Zeno
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
I post this without endorsement or rejection of what's stated here.

From

Culture of Life is a non-profit organization using the Internet to help faith-based organizations inform young professionals of cultural events and activities of merit in their local communities.

Our History Founded in 2000, Culture of Life is a non-profit project that helps young professionals connect with a wide variety of faith-based organizations and their events in New York. While it draws its principal inspiration from Catholic social teaching, Culture of Life welcomes participation by professionals of other religious traditions.

Our Principles

Protect Human Dignity
Promote Charity
Foster Friendship
Membership Benefits

Many young professionals living in New York know just a handful of people who share their most important values. Often less well known are the events and organizations that promote and sustain those values. Through emails updates and our events calendar, we help young professionals connect with new and old friends looking to build a culture of life in New York.

Join the today!

Project Advisory Board

Msgr. Eugene Clarke, Cathedral of Saint Patrick
Anna Halpine, World Youth Alliance
Deal Hudson, Crisis Magazine
Sim Johnston, Narnia Catechetical Insitute
Colin Moran, Chieftain Capital

Alicia Mosier, First Things Magazine
Melinda Mounsey, World Youth Alliance
Fr. Gerald Murray, St. Vincent de Paul Church
Alexandra Preate, Political Capital
Susan Toscani, Forbes Magazine/Catholic Women at Work
Contact Us

If you would like further information, contact: [email protected]

Emily
11-05-2004, 11:52 AM
oh.
my.
fucking.
god.

what the hell is "protect human dignity" anyway? Does "human" include gay people?

I know what "promote charity" means....pass the collection plate, please

Foster friendship? Sounds very peaceful for a commander-in-chief that is trigger happy with the PANIC button.

VenusGoddess
11-05-2004, 11:55 AM
It means it's time for the country to move to the far religious right and become the same "bravado bible thumpers" that we are trying to eradicate in the rest of the world (however, bible should be replaced with Koran, etc).

What a fucking moron.

How about fostering a country that respects and tolerates the different races, cultures, religions, sexual orientations, and choices/decisions of others?

VenusGoddess
11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Foster friendship? Sounds very peaceful for a commander-in-chief that is trigger happy with the PANIC button.
Well, unless friendship means telling everyone who gives you advice or "let's think about this...it could be a bad move..." to go fuck themselves or better yet, "If you're not with us, your against us."

Emily
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
That sound simple and practical, doesn't it, Venus?

afterall, it was because of that that this country was founded.

VenusGoddess
11-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Just wondering...wasn't King George the one who was "holding the reigns" on the citizens of the New America (before the Revolutionary War?)...

Maybe Georgie got his history mixed up with his message from God...

Jay Zeno
11-05-2004, 12:04 PM
My suspicion is that if there's a "culture of life" being promoted, it's coincidental to this group. I just thought I'd post it as a phrase that I found a Website on.

My further suspicion is that it's a phrase meant to placate a broad variety of people, from anti-abortionists to green types. As such, it's too nonspecific and makes it too easy of a target, as these comments here show, and won't have any more deep impact than his father's "Thousand Points of Light" program.

goldclubbing
11-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I guess for me "culture of life" and "traditional family values" are one in the same but packaged differently. Promoting morality is subjective since morality is different for all people but now we have a president who is using his ?mandate? to move us in a direction that is morality defined by him and "faith" based organizations. Sadly he may have his way with the supreme court in play. The days of cultural openess may be ending. May be time to read Orwell again for guidance.

Tigerlilly
11-05-2004, 12:53 PM
How about fostering a country that respects and tolerates the different races, cultures, religions, sexual orientations, and choices/decisions of others?Ah yes, you mean like the USA that I thought we lived in ? The one that my father put his life on the line for, loved and taught me to respect and hold dear ?

That USA is the minority now and seems to be disolving before our eyes under the pressures of greed,fear and bigotry being pumped into the heads of millions by people like GW and Falwell.

It's been frightening to watch too- so many free thinking, wonderful people being brainwashed and turned into zombies/sheep. It looks like a cult is being created instead of a country.:O

Our Principles
Protect Human Dignity

Promote Charity
Foster Friendship

From what I have seen first hand in my life thus far is that these only apply if you are look, speak and think just like them ( Christian Fundy's) anyone who dares not to be a Stepford American is unworthy of even the most basic human rights in the eyes of this so called Moral Majority

Deogol
11-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I guess for me "culture of life" and "traditional family values" are one in the same but packaged differently. Promoting morality is subjective since morality is different for all people but now we have a president who is using his ?mandate? to move us in a direction that is morality defined by him and "faith" based organizations. Sadly he may have his way with the supreme court in play. The days of cultural openess may be ending. May be time to read Orwell again for guidance.

Rehnquist is a conservative and is the one likely to be first replaced. Replacing a conservative with a conservative is a mute point.

MisfitBunnie
11-05-2004, 04:51 PM
And people wonder why I hate organized religion. People are fucking insane with this bible shit already!

The bible was written thousands of years ago and yet these morons believe it is THE EXACT word of god.

"Well what I think god ment to say was...."

I'm not even that confident.

Ever notice how most "founders" of a religion had god "speak to them" somewhere far off, away from everything and everybody, with NOBODY around?

Heh. Funny.

Wow people are stupid. ;)

Adina
11-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Sandra Day O'Connor, John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who back abortion, are all considered likely retirees over the next few years. That's the problem.