PDA

View Full Version : Suicide at Ground Zero b/c of Bush re-election

Tigerlilly
11-06-2004, 09:12 PM
This is a very sad story- if you are the praying type- I'm sure his family and friends could use it.

A 25-year-old university worker from Georgia shot and killed himself at ground zero Saturday morning, authorities said.
The man, Andrew Veal of Athens, Ga., was found atop the structure housing the 1 and 9 subway lines after a hotel worker spotted what he believed was somebody sleeping inside the site around 8 a.m., said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found near the body, Coleman said. No suicide note was found, he said.

Veal apparently was distraught over President Bush's re-election, Newsday reported Saturday on its Web site edition, citing an unnamed police source. The newspaper also said the man was a registered Democrat who opposed the war in Iraq.

Coleman said he could not confirm Newsday's account.

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry, friends said Saturday.

Adina
11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
That's sad, but obviously, there was more going on vis-a-vis his mental state than just being 'distraught over Bush's re-election.'

Casual Observer
11-06-2004, 10:47 PM
^ Ya think?

Tigerlilly
11-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Oh yes, I agree.

It appears though that it was the straw that broke the camels back.

MojoJojo
11-07-2004, 04:27 PM
If it wasn't that, then some other straw would have broken the whacko's, I mean the camel's, back.

VenusGoddess
11-07-2004, 07:45 PM
^ :rotfl: I totally agree.

I didn't like freak geek getting re-elected...but, I'm doing just fine. Anyone who would go to this length over this has many more problems. Since there was no suicide note, how would they know his reasons for his suicide? Sounds like a bunch of "hysteria" hype to me. :blech:

Lena
11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
If someone is going to use suicide to make a political statement you'd think they'd actually make some kind of statement.

Unless he did leave a note and the cops are hiding it... but I dunno if I have enough tin foil on my head for that one.

Rhiannon
11-07-2004, 10:28 PM
LOL Lena.. No kidding.

Sad story, but if the sole cause of the suicide was the re-election of Dubya, you'd think he would've left a note, or something. Like Venus said, there's probably a ton of people who are upset with the outcome, but everyone I know is doing just fine.

What does the suicide solve anyway? Sheesh.

montythegeek
11-08-2004, 06:05 AM
If someone wanted to make a statement about politics and commit suicide wouldn't a more appropriate place to do it be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.? (which has the advantage of being a shorter drive from GA) I think this poor guy had more problems than just supporting the losing political candidate.

NinaDaisy
11-08-2004, 06:28 AM
If someone wanted to make a statement about politics and commit suicide wouldn't a more appropriate place to do it be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.? (which has the advantage of being a shorter drive from GA) I think this poor guy had more problems than just supporting the losing political candidate.
Too much security. You get spotted anywhere near the White House with a gun and the snipers will take you out before you get a chance to do it yourself.

Don't they have the White House cordoned off at this point within a 10 mile radius or something at this point? Just kidding...