PDA

View Full Version : GWB and his constituents' Religious Agenda

Djoser
11-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Katrine posted a great link concerning Texas textbooks, but there were even better links there.

I see GWB, and his constituents, as being a threat to sexual freedom, and a dangerous man to have at the helm of our military--as evidenced by the situation in Iraq.

But perhaps equally threatening, and dangerous to all I as an American believe to be important, is the steady encroachment upon our religious freedom, as demonstrated by a tremendous amount of evidence, not the least of which is this:

' "When we see social needs in America, my administration will look
first to faith-based programs and community groups..."

-- President George W. Bush, on the creation of the White House
Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, January 2001

After the federal Welfare Reform Act of 1996, and under the leadership of then-Governor George W. Bush, Texas launched an aggressive campaign to facilitate the delivery of social services by faith-based providers. The path of the national initiative makes clear that President Bush is pursuing the Texas model of the Faith-Based Initiative. At both the state and federal level, President Bush has:

* Issued an executive order directing key government agencies to take specific steps to increase contracting with faith-based social service providers;
* Followed a two-pronged approach, diverting public funds to religious social service programs while simultaneously loosening regulations over faith-based providers;
* Established an advisory body to support his initiative and brainstorm ways to bolster faith-based programs;
* Established faith-based liaisons and/or offices within key government agencies to review agency policies, identify regulatory barriers for faith-based providers, and increase faith-based partnerships; and
* Pursued his Faith-Based Initiative through both regulatory and legislative means.

As the national initiative unfolds in much the same way as its Texas predecessor, the state's five-year record with "Charitable Choice" is revealing. After five years of aggressively implementing the Bush-led Faith-Based Initiative in Texas, positive results have proven impossible to document or measure. Evidence points instead to a system that is unregulated, prone to favoritism and co-mingling of funds, and even dangerous to the very people it is supposed to serve."

http://www.tfn.org/issues/charitablechoice/report02.html#summary

I invite other SW members concerned with the Separation of Church and State to post additional evidence of the--in my mind, literally criminal--efforts of the President and his constituents, to subvert this basic principle of American government.

Tigerlilly
11-09-2004, 09:20 PM
You know I am right there with you on the feeling of "doom" about the religiously intertwined goals of many well know rightwing figures.

The very fact that so many people (or at least voters) are following or fooled by their propaganda is quite a disturbing trend I see the culture of the US drifting towards. I feel bad for religion in general having been so used and abused by people for personal gain and/or power and control.

The idea of one religion being touted or treated as "better" than another in matters of government just seems to me to go TOTALLY against much of this countries founding ideas and principles.

I feel religon has no place in politics- it is a private matter of the heart

Djoser
11-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Here's a link, thanks to Adina, with all the information you'll ever need when dealing with morons who claim the Founding Fathers intended for this to be a "Christian Nation":

http://www.theology.edu/journal/volume2/ushistor.htm

VenusGoddess
11-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Good God...well, who started to "outlaw" sex toys in Texas? Was that Bush? It's ILLEGAL to own/sell sex toys in the state of Texas...

The moment someone tries to take my rabbit away from me is the moment he's gonna wish he's dead...I won't kill him...but he's gonna wish he was dead...or at least never born.

This just makes me sick.

hardkandee
11-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Good God...well, who started to "outlaw" sex toys in Texas? Was that Bush? It's ILLEGAL to own/sell sex toys in the state of Texas...

The moment someone tries to take my rabbit away from me is the moment he's gonna wish he's dead...I won't kill him...but he's gonna wish he was dead...or at least never born.

This just makes me sick.
:eye-poppi NO way!! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!

Djoser
11-10-2004, 10:09 AM
:eye-poppi NO way!! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!

Yes way...

That's the attitude GWB and his Fundamentalist pals have towards sex. Anything not in accordance with the notion of sex between man and woman, for procreation, and within the bounds of marriage, is sinful in the eyes of God, and preferably illegal--since it threatens God-fearing families everywhere.

Tigerlilly
11-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Its like they (Rightwingers) feel they must pre-approve any sort of pleasure, happiness or anything that might give a person some joy.

They seem want to control every aspect of what others think, do, say and feel.

Any sort of free will or individual choice appears to be flat out unacceptable in their eyes.

hardkandee
11-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Yes way...

That's the attitude GWB and his Fundamentalist pals have towards sex. Anything not in accordance with the notion of sex between man and woman, for procreation, and within the bounds of marriage, is sinful in the eyes of God, and preferably illegal--since it threatens God-fearing families everywhere.
So, why don't they encourage female circumcision? Cut off everybody's clits so no one can enjoy anything! Hell, ban sex all together. Make guys "donate" into test tubes. ::)

Deogol
11-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Its like they (Rightwingers) feel they must pre-approve any sort of pleasure, happiness or anything that might give a person some joy.

They seem want to control every aspect of what others think, do, say and feel.

Any sort of free will or individual choice appears to be flat out unacceptable in their eyes.

And there you have just defined religion.

Jay Zeno
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM
The law was passed in 1973, and it involves dildoes, and is not enforced. At least, that's what this article says:

According to this site the governor of Texas at that time was a Democrat.

It's fun to bash with assumptions, but you oughta be careful with them.

More on point, you folks might be thinking about the 1998 law in Alabama outlying sex toys. Evidently, the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld this law. I don't know if Alabama had a Republican or Democratic majority in its legislature in 1998. I think it was Democrat, because the Republicans recently gained control for the first time in a long time. If so, either party can share the blame, because the legislature recently refused to overturn that law. My guess is that neither party makes proud claims on Alabama.

VenusGoddess
11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, there was a Texas woman that was having legal problems for having an "adult toy party" in the state of TX not too long ago...

Deogol
11-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, there was a Texas woman that was having legal problems for having an "adult toy party" in the state of TX not too long ago...
Good news about this woman:

Djoser
11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
"RICHMOND, Va. - Seeking to take advantage of the momentum from an election where moral values proved important to voters, the Rev. Jerry Falwell announced Tuesday he has formed a new coalition to guide an "evangelical revolution."

Falwell, a religious broadcaster based in Lynchburg, Va., said the Faith and Values Coalition will be a "21st century resurrection of the Moral Majority," the organization he founded in 1979.

Falwell said he would serve as the coalition's national chairman for four years.

He added that the new group's mission would be to lobby for anti-abortion conservatives to fill openings on the Supreme Court and lower courts, a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and the election of another "George Bush-type" conservative in 2008.

"We all, for the first time, began to realize the potential of religious conservatives, particularly evangelicals, when something over 30 million of them went to the polls," he said, noting most supported the president and anti-abortion candidates, and voted to approve 11 initiatives across the country banning gay marriage..."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=718&e=10&u=/ap/20041110/ap_on_re_us/falwell_new_coalition

Djoser
11-11-2004, 12:24 AM
This is a quote from the link provided by Deogal:

"Texas law allows for the sale of sexual toys as long as they are billed as novelties. But when a person markets the items in a direct manner that shows how they are used in sex, it is considered criminal obscenity."

The woman was arrested near Dallas "after she sold a vibrator at a private party to two undercover police officers posing as a married couple." The law was apparently being enforced at that time, in that area of Texas.

Now that is obscene...

From the link provided by JZ:

"According to the Texas Penal Code, which details what devices good, law-abiding Texans may and may not purchase for their personal pleasure, dildos (and all other items made specifically to stimulate the genitals) can't be collected, bought, or sold in the state.

You think you bought a dildo here in Austin? That's an "anatomically correct condom education model" to you, young lady. Which you would already know if you had read the release form some local businesses have started making their patrons sign."

""Obscene devices" -- defined as anything, including a dildo, vibrator, or artificial vagina, "designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs" -- can't be sold in the state of Texas (or in Georgia, for those keeping track), except for "a bona fide medical, psychiatric, judicial, legislative, or law enforcement purpose....If you're hiding more than six dongs in your closet, that's intent to "promote" -- a class A misdemeanor.)"

For the moment, in Austin--which is a bastion of liberal views in the middle of a very big, and very conservative, state--the law isn't being enforced (though it has been repeatedly in the past). It is not apparent what party the drafter of the ordinance belonged to, nor the affiliation of those who passed it.

madgrad
11-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Well,

A good way to judge the damage his religous adgenda is going to cause in the future is too look back at the the two Waco Wacko faith based religious aid workers held hostage by the Taliban in 2001.

Everyother, Christian Aid group and aid group in Afganistian complained about them to the State Department and to the two girls personally; to stop trying to prostelytize the local Muslim population because it was upsetting the Taliban ruling regime at the time and making it harder/impossible for the other groups to carry out thier aid work.

This fact was hidden in telling their story upon the girls return to the USA, and now after 9/11 the Evangelicals think they need to save the Muslims soul by prostelatyzing them too. If you think the Muslims hate us now, wait until the Evangelical hoardes set upon them...

madgrad
11-15-2004, 11:25 PM
I'll probably regret posting this for all the resident liberals to feed off, but IMHO it was just too good to bypass:

http://fray.slate.msn.com/?id=3936&m=12997565

Subject: A warning to USA about religious intolerance
Date: Nov 12 2004 7:51AM

and religious infusion into the government. We might not have NFL football anymore...

Dear President Bush,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I now understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said, "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man and a woman."

I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone
tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind
them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements
of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend
of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can
you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2.To earn extra cash, I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3.I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is
how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. Later, my sheets are ruined.

4.When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my city officials claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5.I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6.A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination? How abominated do you get over this stuff?

7.Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though Lev. 19 expressly forbids this: How should they die?...

9.I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football and how can you help me ban the NFL?

10.My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them or can I kill them myself? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family
affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

ROFLMAO!!!!

The scary part is there are people in America who really think like that!!

Djoser
11-16-2004, 08:01 AM
What a great post, Pan Dah!

Don't feel bad about feeding the liberals.

I posted some political humor from the right, and will do so again. I love P.J. O'Rourke, and you will too--go look...

Djoser
11-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Here is an interesting link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/

The picture alone makes it worth clicking on, lol...

Tigerlilly
11-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Well,

A good way to judge the damage his religous adgenda is going to cause in the future is too look back at the the two Waco Wacko faith based religious aid workers held hostage by the Taliban in 2001.

Everyother, Christian Aid group and aid group in Afganistian complained about them to the State Department and to the two girls personally; to stop trying to prostelytize the local Muslim population because it was upsetting the Taliban ruling regime at the time and making it harder/impossible for the other groups to carry out thier aid work.

This fact was hidden in telling their story upon the girls return to the USA, and now after 9/11 the Evangelicals think they need to save the Muslims soul by prostelatyzing them too. If you think the Muslims hate us now, wait until the Evangelical hoardes set upon them...
I have also heard about this and I agree it is a small scale prediction to what we can expect next.

threlayer
11-16-2004, 04:51 PM

This just makes me sick.It MUST have been the Texas CUCUMBER lobby.

This isn't a recent law.

Tigerlilly
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
It MUST have been the Texas CUCUMBER lobby.
LMAO -- or maybe it was a company that makes back massagers :D