PDA

View Full Version : F*ck the South

Pages : [1] 2 3

Adina
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Here's a fantastic piece of vitriol to brighten your day. Enjoy!

http://www.fuckthesouth.com/

Casual Observer
11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Vitriol, indeed.

And yet, completely (if profanely) illustrative of the cultural disconnect.

Katrine
11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey, c'mon, some of us southerners are kinda cute! You wouldn't want to have to apply for a VISA to visit ole Kat now would ya?? LOL ;)

RedZ28
11-09-2004, 09:41 PM
The wait would probably be worth it, if you didn't scare some of us j/k. Another question, Kat, is there anywhere that you don't get hit on? lol

GnBeret
11-09-2004, 10:56 PM
WHATEVER!!! But ya know, a lot of that crap is based on gross misconceptions. When I was in the Army, I got stationed outside of Boston for awhile. I quickly learned not to admit where I was from, 'cause I'd immediately get assaulted re "racism" in the South. At the same time, I'm watching people in Boston beating on school buses with baseball bats as they're integrating the school system, and I'm thinking, "wait a second, I went to integrated schools my entire life, had good friends who were of other races over to my house all the time (and vice versa), and watched interracial dating, etc., go on all through high school and college without ever seeing anyone voice an objection... but try to put a black kid in a white school in Boston in the 80's, and all hell breaks loose. Who's the f****** racist here???" The South is not what many of you who have never been here have been led to believe it is.

Jay Zeno
11-10-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm willing to be this writer was OK with the South as long as it voted Democrat.

Wow ... nothing like a little unabashed broadbrushed stereotyping to start your day.

Katrine
11-10-2004, 01:41 AM
The wait would probably be worth it, if you didn't scare some of us j/k. Another question, Kat, is there anywhere that you don't get hit on? lol
Family reunions. Gay bars. Nail salon. That's about it man! }:D

Sitri
11-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a personal problem. If I can't visit the liberty bell, maybe the next time he trips down from New York to thaw his frozen ass out, I can pound some sand up it.

Of course, we will have to have an environmental fee for removing sand from the state when he heads back.

ha ha. ::)

Katrine
11-10-2004, 08:23 AM
I have a friend in Amsterdam who is of mixed race, and he said he will never come visit me in Texas because he thinks they will hang him there. Awful. Its not only the Yanks!

Where does this stereotype come from? Dallas? Urban Cowboy? Beverly Hillbillies? Deliverance???????

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Here's a fantastic piece of vitriol to brighten your day. Enjoy!

http://www.fuckthesouth.com/
Thanks, I got a good laugh out of that. Viva la South!

GnBeret
11-10-2004, 08:54 AM
I have a friend in Amsterdam who is of mixed race, and he said he will never come visit me in Texas because he thinks they will hang him there. Awful. Its not only the Yanks!

Where does this stereotype come from? Dallas? Urban Cowboy? Beverly Hillbillies? Deliverance???????
Vidor. Given the undeniable basis in truth for the origin of such stereotypes, about all that's required to destroy any gains in public perception that have been made over the course of the past 40 years or so is a couple of wackos dragging a black man behind a pick-up truck by a chain... and it's hard to blame anyone for their misperceptions when that's what they see on the news.>:(

doc-catfish
11-10-2004, 09:03 AM
have a friend in Amsterdam who is of mixed race, and he said he will never come visit me in Texas because he thinks they will hang him there. Awful. Its not only the Yanks!

Well, websites like say, this one for example (http://www.texecutions.com/), don't exactly help matters.

Hee Haw was my answer, but I think Buck Owens lives in Cali.

http://www.heehaw.com/images/homeonly/ULLogo.gif

"I searched the world over and I thought I'd found true love,
You moved to a blue state and (pfft) you were gone!"

NinaDaisy
11-10-2004, 01:35 PM
As a flaming liberal I found this profoundly funny.

I've spent some time in the Deep South and it was, um, interesting. I don't want to do the "liberal elite" thing and be judgemental, but a lot of the negative attitudes I saw there were essentially based on ignorance and a total lack of worldliness.

I have to agree with the part about the Blue states that provide a shitload of Federal funding for Red states. If there ever was a seccession, much of the South might be plunged back into the Dark Ages because they'd lose all that nice funding from New York taxpayers.

Floridians, enjoy your orange juice! ;)

GnBeret
11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
As a flaming liberal I found this profoundly funny.

I've spent some time in the Deep South and it was, um, interesting. I don't want to do the "liberal elite" thing and be judgemental, but a lot of the negative attitudes I saw there were essentially based on ignorance and a total lack of worldliness.

I have to agree with the part about the Blue states that provide a shitload of Federal funding for Red states. If there ever was a seccession, much of the South might be plunged back into the Dark Ages because they'd lose all that nice funding from New York taxpayers.

Floridians, enjoy your orange juice! ;)
Umm, no, not exactly... as a matter of fact, it would be the North that would be plunged back into the Dark Ages, and I mean that quite literally, as it would have no means to power much of anything. And I'll give ya 10-1 we can build the steel mills, etc. we'd need faster than ya'll can build the refineries you'd need and, more importantly, find a new source of natural gas.::)

NinaDaisy
11-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Umm, no, not exactly... as a matter of fact, it would be the North that would be plunged back into the Dark Ages, and I mean that quite literally, as it would have no means to power much of anything. And I'll give ya 10-1 we can build the steel mills, etc. we'd need faster than ya'll can build the refineries you'd need and, more importantly, find a new source of natural gas.::)
We already import most of our petroleum anyway.

Jay Zeno
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
My understanding was we import about half of our petroleum, but that ratio is rising.

We produce the majority of our natural gas consumption.

We produce the vast majority of our own coal for coal-fired generators.

Let's not start to talk about where the food comes from.

It's a fun discussion as a sour-grapes spinoff, but of course, the economies of all the states are far too intertwined to entertain secession seriously. Airlines, interstate commerce, telecommunications, freedom of movement issues, and so on .... Economic needs far outweigh political sniffles.

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 04:42 PM
The article linked was funny for its college freshman angst, but in reality, it's not even close to being a north/south divide:

http://www.pointblankindoorrange.com/images/2004map.gif
Broken down by individual counties, the truth becomes apparent.

Emily
11-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Broken down by individual counties, the truth becomes apparent.

which is?

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Uhm, that the North is not a blue mass for starters.

A_Guy
11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
The article linked was funny for its college freshman angst, but in reality, it's not even close to being a north/south divide:

Broken down by individual counties, the truth becomes apparent.I still think this map is more telling (thx wwanderer ;))

"The answer seems to be that the amount of red on the map is skewed because there are a lot of counties in which only a slim majority voted Republican. One possible way to allow for this, suggested by Robert Vanderbei (http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/) at Princeton University, is to use not just two colors on the map, red and blue, but instead to use red, blue, and shades of purple to indicate percentages of voters. Here is what the normal map looks like if you do this: "
ref: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/

http://img2.imgspot.com/u/04/314/17/maplinear.JPG

the map you posted does not represent the true distribution of votes throughout the US... if a county votes 50.1% for Bush, and 49.9% for Kerry, the whole county would be red.. not really a true representation.

Anyways, there is a true divide in the US, not necessarily north vs. south, but more of a rural vs. urban divide

Emily
11-10-2004, 05:00 PM
That map is Republican propoganda and it's probably effective considering who it's trying to appeal to. This coutry was effectively split half and half in this past election.

NinaDaisy
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
That map is Republican propoganda and it's probably effective considering who it's trying to appeal to. This coutry was effectively split half and half in this past election.
Seriously. Bush won the popular vote by 3.5 million votes. That's less than one percent of our nation's population. Hardly the mandate he claims it to be, IMO.

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
These maps use a color scale that ranges from red for 70% Republican or more, to blue for 70% Democrat or more. This is sort of practical, since there aren't many counties outside that range anyway, but to some extent it also obscures the true balance of red and blue.

From the same website you got the map from, as as summary for that methodology. Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement for it.

Anyways, there is a true divide in the US, not necessarily north vs. south, but more of a rural vs. urban divide I can agree with that to an extent.

Bush won the popular vote by 3.5 million votes. That's less than one percent of our nation's population.
Most definitely true. Of course, only about 1/3 of our nation's population voted. Bush won by about 3.02% of the popular vote. He also picked up a net gain of 1 state over the 2000 election.

Honestly though, why not put it behind us? The election is over and I think I've had my fill of politics on a stripper site. Peace out! :)

A_Guy
11-10-2004, 05:07 PM
From the same website you got the map from, as as summary for that methodology. Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement for it.

Actually, it didn't really endorse it either way:

In this map, it appears that only a rather small area is taken up by true red counties, the rest being mostly shades of purple with patches of blue in the urban areas.

I think that shows that there aren't too many "true" blue and red counties and depicted by the original map you posted.

GnBeret
11-10-2004, 05:08 PM
We already import most of our petroleum anyway.
We import crude, not gas. And absent ya'll, we'd not only be self-sufficient re crude, but a net exporter of natural gas. Crude powers mobile power plants... natural gas powers immobile power plants, i.e., electric power generation, industry, and home heating. And to the extent we're in the process of building an infrastructure to import LNG, 7 of the 9 terminals permitted thus far are in the Gulf of Mexico.

A_Guy
11-10-2004, 05:09 PM
we can also look at this one for comparison purposes also:

http://img2.imgspot.com/u/04/314/18/county.JPG

:laughing:

NinaDaisy
11-10-2004, 05:20 PM
The election is over and I think I've had my fill of politics on a stripper site. Peace out! :)
Oh, he went there...this is when it might be time to stick to Customer Conversation. The election's over, but the world still keeps turning and some of us still like to discuss stuff other than the best pants to wear during a lap dance or the best curling irons or our least favorite commercials on TV. Yeah, it's a stripper site, but it's one that luckily manages to acknowledge that there's stuff in life aside from that.

Topaz
11-10-2004, 05:27 PM
a bit off topic:

i really don't care for tennessee living...not in the least bit...and i'm getting the fuck out as soon as i can...

'kay...carry on people...

;D

Emily
11-10-2004, 05:27 PM
You know, I was kind of excited that there seemed to be another conservative Republican type on here, but you had to go and ruin it with the cheap shot!

That's too bad that you would discredit an opinion because it came from a stripper. Daddyforhire....what do you do?

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 05:28 PM
You've got it all wrong, I'm not dissing intellect or opinion.

I am a member of a few different forums for my job, school, and hobbies. I get enough politics there. None of the strippers I ever worked with would quit even in the case they were beat. I have no reason to expect less tenacity here. So I'll stick to light stuff here since I can't put you across my lap like those girls. But by all means enjoy the outlet. I just don't want to argue with you :)

Daddyforhire
11-10-2004, 05:32 PM
BTW, I'm a mix of conservative and liberal views. I don't pledge allegiance to any party. I pledge it to our Country.

Jay Zeno
11-10-2004, 07:06 PM
You know, I was kind of excited that there seemed to be another conservative Republican type on here I hope that I don't give too much of an impression of being another conservative Republican type. I frequent another board slanted to my business, and it has a dominance of those conservative Republican types. I give them as much dissenting views as I give you folks here. ;D

Madcap
11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Honestly though, why not put it behind us? The election is over and I think I've had my fill of politics on a stripper site. Peace out! :)
Actually, i kind of like talking politics on a Stripper site. Nice change of pace, though my emotions have been running a little hot since the election.

Chani_Fremen
11-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Funny link!

Daddy for hire, also remember the population densisty in some of the areas that are completely red. Like Bush got Ohio and it is a red state, but he only won 51 to 49 percent.

Djoser
11-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Anyways, there is a true divide in the US, not necessarily north vs. south, but more of a rural vs. urban divide

Very true.

I also find it interesting to see the breakdown of votes among those possessing higher levels of education. Kerry did well with voters with college degrees.

Mr Hyde
11-11-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm a middle of the road moderate (Libertarian leaning social lib/fiscal conservative) who lives in the south, voted for Kerry, and that guy can go F himself. I can't visit the Liberty Bell? Fine, pack up all of your pansy ass snowbirds coming to escape the cold and head back up to New Jersey. Florida doesn't want your ass.

God, people like that ass make me WANT to vote for someone like Bush just piss them off.

Djoser
11-11-2004, 07:48 AM
I hope that I don't give too much of an impression of being another conservative Republican type. I frequent another board slanted to my business, and it has a dominance of those conservative Republican types. I give them as much dissenting views as I give you folks here. ;D

Your views can always be counted on to demonstrate impartiality, intelligence, and acumen.

I could be construed as being anti-Republican, with a certain degree of accuracy, given the close association of Fundamentalists to the party, and the concomitant efforts to restrict civil liberties and religious freedom.

The Democrats, however, taken as a whole, are neither infallible nor particularly adept at choosing potential leaders, as the much-maligned exit polls seem to indicate. All too many votes "for Kerry" were really votes against Bush, plain and simple--which says a lot about both candidates and their effect on the American people.

I repeat here (knowing full well you are not a commited Republican), if there were more Republicans like you, GWB would not have been re-elected, or even nominated. That party needs people like you, a hell of a lot more of them.

I especially loved your cogent summation of the various Presidential attributes--I forget where--but it was so true, and very funny...

Tigerlilly
11-11-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm a middle of the road moderate (Libertarian leaning social lib/fiscal conservative) who lives in the south, voted for Kerry, and that guy can go F himself. I can't visit the Liberty Bell? Fine, pack up all of your pansy ass snowbirds coming to escape the cold and head back up to New Jersey. Florida doesn't want your ass.

God, people like that ass make me WANT to vote for someone like Bush just piss them off.
LMAO ! Now, now- we love our snowbirds money just as much as they love our weather and beaches ;)

There are plenty of smart, witty and kind people from the south just as in any other part of the world. And conversely there are plenty of mean and ignorant people in the south- just like any other place in the world.

Every place and culture has its good qualities and its bad. I'm proud to be a southerner for many reasons and I'm embarrased to be a southerner for a few too. Then again I could say the same thing about being an American. I don't think I'm alone in that line of thought either

Tigerlilly
11-11-2004, 11:18 AM
if there were more Republicans like you, GWB would not have been re-elected, or even nominated. That party needs people like you, a hell of a lot more of them.

I completely agree 8)

However I dont think that people like Jay are the norm in his party but rather the exception.
I think its a fairly common opinion w/ liberals that people like McCain for example are well liked and received. Having more of that vibe in the rightwing would do alot creating a more bipartisan activity in government.

BUT

I dont think thats what alot (the majority?) of Repubs voters want or they would have put their support behind McCain. They didnt- they wanted Bush:-\

I don't think Repubs (in general) want the two sides to "work together" I think the want to get rid of the Dem party COMPLETELY.

In the most base simplistic terms, I think Repubs are out to "get" people like me :O they dont agree with liberal concepts and want to eradicate them from our culture.

I think the ultimate "Conservative" goal is the eliminate any opposition.
They want control of everything.

Laugh at that if you want - call me chicken little or consider me dumber than dirt like C.O does-- but from my point of view as someone who watches the world around me with great interest and wonder this is the trend I am seeing the US go towards.

It's a reversal of a hundred years of progress :'(

Daddyforhire
11-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Damnit, once more into the fray:

I also find it interesting to see the breakdown of votes among those possessing higher levels of education. Kerry did well with voters with college degrees.

Of course. Colleges are havens for uber-liberals that rarely exam things in a "real world" context but rather debate utopian constructs and attempt to implement thos fantasies thru inculcation of young and moldable minds. After 4 or more years of brain-washing, many young adults come out of college wearing the democrat badge. At least until they are out in the real adult world for about a decade or so.

Djoser
11-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Of course. Colleges are havens for uber-liberals that rarely exam things in a "real world" context but rather debate utopian constructs and attempt to implement thos fantasies thru inculcation of young and moldable minds. After 4 or more years of brain-washing, many young adults come out of college wearing the democrat badge. At least until they are out in the real adult world for about a decade or so.

I know, it sucks that college has people actually reading books...

That vile brainwashing, including hideous, frightening, and unpatriotic concepts such as making decisions based on independent research, discourse and logic, rather than watching FOX News--or better yet, prayer--should be stopped immediately.

Thank God in all His Glory that so many of the American people know better than to get an education, and they vote!

Chani_Fremen
11-11-2004, 12:34 PM
LOL. there is no plot in colleges to brainwash everyone to be liberal. There are many conservate professors and there are plenty of institutions like Brigham Young and Bob Jones University. Most Universities are located in the N.E. and the N.E. simply tends to be more liberal. There is no great conspiracy.

Emily
11-11-2004, 12:36 PM
waitaminute, Daddyforhire

Bush supporters are in the real world and Kerry supporters were brainwashed?
have you ever been to a church? then you know what creationism is. Do you believe that God created man?

and out of curiosity, did you graduate college?

Chani_Fremen
11-11-2004, 12:38 PM
WHATEVER!!! But ya know, a lot of that crap is based on gross misconceptions. When I was in the Army, I got stationed outside of Boston for awhile. I quickly learned not to admit where I was from, 'cause I'd immediately get assaulted re "racism" in the South. At the same time, I'm watching people in Boston beating on school buses with baseball bats as they're integrating the school system, and I'm thinking, "wait a second, I went to integrated schools my entire life, had good friends who were of other races over to my house all the time (and vice versa), and watched interracial dating, etc., go on all through high school and college without ever seeing anyone voice an objection... but try to put a black kid in a white school in Boston in the 80's, and all hell breaks loose. Who's the f****** racist here???" The South is not what many of you who have never been here have been led to believe it is.
I agree with this. The South is no more/less racist than the North. Some of the worst racism can actually be found in the North.

GnBeret
11-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't think Repubs (in general) want the two sides to "work together" I think the want to get rid of the Dem party COMPLETELY.

In the most base simplistic terms, I think Repubs are out to "get" people like me :O they dont agree with liberal concepts and want to eradicate them from our culture.

I think the ultimate "Conservative" goal is the eliminate any opposition.
They want control of everything.

Laugh at that if you want - call me chicken little or consider me dumber than dirt like C.O does-- but from my point of view as someone who watches the world around me with great interest and wonder this is the trend I am seeing the US go towards.

It's a reversal of a hundred years of progress :'(
While I'm firmly ensconced on your side of the fence, I always try to look at things from the other sides' perspective and see if I can at least get some kind of decent understanding as to why they hold the views that they do and why they're so opposed to the views that I hold - and in the case of the Republicans, it helps immensely.

To wit: They lived through the radical transformation of the basic role of the government wrought by the multitude of new programs, governmental regulations, cabinet departments, etc., that the Kennedy and Johnson
administrations managed to push through. At the same time, the Warren Court was just hitting its stride, and it's difficult, if not close to impossible to overstate the magnitude of the sweeping changes that were made in virtually every area of law - changes that had immediate and noticeable effects on almost every aspect of our society and economy. And while they got a breather on one side after Johnson declined to run for another term, the Warren Court kept right on going like a freight train with a full head of steam well into the 70's.

Read any number of conservative publications circa 1965 - 1975, and you'll see damn near the same thing you're saying being sincerely expressed by the other side - almost word for word! So, to make a long story short, they got the crap scared out of them and perceived things to be getting way too far out of control - basically, in a span of ten years the country had been changed so radically that they hardly recognized it, and it had been changed in ways that fundamentally disturbed them. Their response? They said "enough," got organized, came up with a long-term stategy, and started busting their asses to regain as much control as they possibly could before the Dems/Libs went too far (in their view) and completely jettisoned what they believed should be the basic precepts upon which the country should be run.

Point is, they've been in your position, and now you're in theirs. Nobody's trying to destroy anybody or run them out of the country, but the two sides are very much engaged in an epic struggle over the basic precepts under which we're going to continue to govern and operate this country. And what we, on this side, need to do is take a page from their book, quit infighting, come up with a long-term strategy, and then get up off our asses and start wresting some of the control they've taken from us back!

Tigerlilly
11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I know, it sucks that college has people actually reading books...

That vile brainwashing, including hideous, frightening, and unpatriotic concepts such as making decisions based on independent research, discourse and logic, rather than watching FOX News--or better yet, prayer--should be stopped immediately.

Thank God in all His Glory that so many of the American people know better than to get an education, and they vote!
Well done DJ :graduate:

I always try to look at things from the other sides' perspective and see if I can at least get some kind of decent understanding as to why they hold the views that they do and why they're so opposed to the views that I hold

I agree- and while I may often only express my side, I am always taking in what others feel and say also- the search is never ending :swami:

GnBeret
11-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I agree- and while I may often only express my side, I am always taking in what others feel and say also- the search is never ending :swami:
Figured as much... now if we could just get the other side to do the same.::) ;)

Daddyforhire
11-11-2004, 01:43 PM
waitaminute, Daddyforhire

Bush supporters are in the real world and Kerry supporters were brainwashed?
have you ever been to a church? then you know what creationism is. Do you believe that God created man?

and out of curiosity, did you graduate college?
Yes, I have a degree in international relations from MTSU. I am studying for a second bachelors in chemistry. I dare say there aren't too many members here with more college credit hours in than me. I worked for years before starting college though, so I don't automatically buy into everything professors like to sling. Amazing how you can be subjected to a professor's political agenda in an algebra class isn't it?

Chani_Fremen
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Well yeah professors mention their views but I don't think they are trying to brainwash anyone. People in college are generally adults.

Emily
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
so how do you think you escaped the brainwashing and managed to stay in touch with the "real world"?

also, you never answered my question. Do you believe that God created man?