PDA

View Full Version : With John Ashcroft leaving...

PhaedrusZ
11-10-2004, 01:53 PM
do you think his replacement will be better, worse, or about the same re: civil liberties and a typical person in the U.S.? /:O

PhaedrusZ

Melonie
11-11-2004, 03:57 AM
I suppose it depends what you mean by 'typical'. If you're hoping that the new attorney general will focus on 'bobby kennedy' issues versus anti-terrorism issues then fugeddaboudit.

Jay Zeno
11-11-2004, 05:35 AM
There's criticisms by liberals of Alberto Gonzales for being too conservative, which is not too surprising, and for being supportive of attitudes that led to such things as the prisoner abuses, and that link is yet to be determined or weighed in.

This kinda stood out to me:

"For months, there has been speculation in Washington that Mr. Gonzales would be selected to fill any vacancy on the Supreme Court. White House officials said he preferred the attorney general's job, and Republicans close to the White House said there was no reason he might not be nominated to the court later in Mr. Bush's term.

"A court appointment, senior Republicans said, could have prompted a more intense confirmation fight, especially because some conservatives regard Mr. Gonzales as too moderate on the question of abortion and not sufficiently hardline in opposing affirmative action."

Barring some skeleton being exhumed from the closet, I don't see a real sharp fight to keep Mr. Gonzales out of the position.

GnBeret
11-11-2004, 06:15 AM
do you think his replacement will be better, worse, or about the same re: civil liberties and a typical person in the U.S.? /:O

PhaedrusZ

"KNOCK ON WOOD" - BUT HOW COULD HIS REPLACEMENT POSSIBLY BE WORSE???

Tina
11-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Gonzales is just another piece to the puzzle, another implemented strategy that the Republicans are using to bullshit the public.

No he is not as bad as Ashcroft, but that is not saying much as anyone who is not an outyright Christian Conservative is better than Ashcroft.

The Republicans strategy as has been the case since the early 90's is to gradually chip away at filling any elected position they can with one of their own is slowly but surely putting them in position to control this nation.

The first hispanic to hold this office is aimed at bullshiiting the hispanic race and gullible whites as well that Bush is for all people. It is obviously being used also to strenghten registered republicans amongst hispanics.

The people of color who are given high positions in the Bush administration do not hold the views of the masses of their prospective races.

I feel the replacement of Ashcroft was designed to make it appear that the Bush administration is "moving towards the middle", but Bush has said it is full speed ahead with his agendas. Gonzales will not stray against the Bush and Christian gameplans.

The Republican party is the NFL football team, Bush is the head coach, and the Christian Conservatives are the owners of the team.

Some of these naive voters who were brainwashed by the right wingers will probably see the light at some point during this last term.

Mr Hyde
11-11-2004, 07:47 PM
In the "Bible thumping" way, Gonzalez is much better than Ashcroft. Overall, he's better than Ashcroft. But that's like saying that a fish smells better than a skunk.

I think this is a litmus test for whether Bush can get Gonzalez or a similiar guy on the SCOTUS.

Casual Observer
11-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Gonzales will be confirmed as AG without much issue.

He also stands an excellent chance at getting a SCOTUS seat too.

Tina
11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
I personally don't think Gonzales will be put on the Supreme Court. The Christian Conservatives OWN Bush and IF he doesn't place the individuals that THEY approve on in positions that can give the CC's ultimate control over the laws of the land, he is liable to have an impeachment drive launched against him.

montythegeek
11-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Tina,
Where is this rule written that the majority of ones race has a veto over a person's opinion? I never saw that written anywhere. What does a person whose parents were of different races have to believe? Is there an even-odd rule for them?

Madcap
11-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Tina, he doesn't really have to pander to them anymore. He doesn't need their votes. They might try an impeachment drive, though i doubt it, but look what happened with Clinton. In other words... nothing...

Djoser
11-13-2004, 03:17 PM
I feel the replacement of Ashcroft was designed to make it appear that the Bush administration is "moving towards the middle", but Bush has said it is full speed ahead with his agendas. Gonzales will not stray against the Bush and Christian gameplans.

The Republican party is the NFL football team, Bush is the head coach, and the Christian Conservatives are the owners of the team.

Some of these naive voters who were brainwashed by the right wingers will probably see the light at some point during this last term.

Great analogy, except that I think the Christian Conservatives are more like majority owners, dominating the rest--who scoff at the idea, blithely ignoring the telltale signs and the disastrous strategy being followed. Also, Bush isn't smart enough, or in enough real control of the game, to be coach. But I am nit-picking.

At least we won't have to contend with Ashcroft any longer.