PDA

View Full Version : Bush and Women

Djoser
11-11-2004, 08:24 AM
In spite of a few appointments designed to draw attention away from his sexist views, Bush and his constituents are obviously in favor of the maintenance of what is basically a Patriarchical socio-economic system.

They are "family-oriented". But in that family, Mommy stays home and submits to Daddy, who goes out and earns the bread. God help (actually, He won't) the Mommy who deviates from this ideal.

Here are some interesting statistics I found on the status of women under the Bush Administration...

"40% more women unemployed under Bush. Since January 2001, the number of unemployed women has risen from 2,747,000 to 3,806,000 – up 39%. [Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1/01 & 7/04]

For single women, situation is even worse. Since January 2001, the number of unemployed single women has risen from 1,867,000 to 2,798,000 – a 50% increase. [Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1/01 & 7/04]

Half of women experience job loss. “The fourth national survey of working women by the AFL-CIO shows that 48 percent of working women say they have been out of work in the past year or have a family member or close friend who has been out of work. That's one reason a surprisingly large percentage - more than 70 percent of working women - worry about losing their jobs.” [Source: Pennsylvania AFL-CIO, Release, 6/8/04]

Women returning to work more slowly “And despite the recent up-tick in employment numbers, female jobs are returning at a far slower pace than after any recent recession. The overall number of women employed still remains down half a percent from March 2001, just before the economic boom turned to bust." [Source: Christian Science Monitor, 6/21/04]"

http://actforvictory.org/act.php/truth/truth-about/bushs_record_on_womens_issues/

Lena
11-11-2004, 12:13 PM
This is going to be a long four years...

VenusGoddess
11-11-2004, 12:52 PM
As much as I hate Bush...I have to say this.

I have left the job market...I left a well-paying corporate job to raise my daughter. I know about 30 other women who have done the same. There are 5 men in my daughter's playgroups that the mom is working and dad stays home.

I think some of those numbers are coming from the CHOICE that women are making to stay home and raise their children instead of sending them to daycare.

Just my :twocents: .

Emily
11-11-2004, 12:58 PM
but, Venus, wouldn't the rate of those women be fairly consistent, no matter who is president? If there is an increase in the rate of women leaving the workforce, then it's probably something beyond choice.

There is undoubtedly an unemployment epidemic because they are trying to go back in, unsuccessfully.

madmaxine
11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Cannot help myself...noticed the Bush twins party like Texas tornadoes....the apples don't fall far from the tree ; ) "Do as I say, don't do as I do..."

VenusGoddess
11-11-2004, 04:50 PM
^ Or, in the Bush case, "Monkey see, monkey do."

Emily, it's just been within the past few years that women have decided to leave the work force and stay home with their kids. It's the "new generational" thing going on. Whereas for the past 15 or so years, moms and dads were working...it's swinging back to having just a 1 person income again. It may be due to the fact that earning potential has stalled while the costs of day care, etc have steadily risen.

Tina
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
When Teresa Heinz Kerry said Laura Bush never had a real job she was right. Being a teacher and librarian is not sufficient business experience in my book to be the first lady.

Of course ultra conservative men don't want a woman in their life who wears the pants, do they?

And the media painted that statement as horrible. Give me a break. Republicans can down their opposition all day long and it gets pushed to the curb but let a Democrat make a strong comment about a Republican and it gets smeared all over the air waves as a low blow.

The conservatives use family and religious values to brainwash the weak minded.

Only weak minded women would put up with the role in life that conservative men insist on.