PDA

View Full Version : "Saving Private Ryan" not airing in your town tonight? Thank the FCC gestapo!

doc-catfish
11-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I cannot believe how out of control this is getting. Before too long they won't even be able to show the news anymore.

TV stations cancel 'Saving Private Ryan'

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2004-11-11-private-ryan_x.htm

NEW YORK (AP) — Many ABC affiliates around the country have announced that they won't take part in the network's Veterans Day airing of Saving Private Ryan, saying the acclaimed film's violence and language could draw sanctions from the Federal Communications Commission.

The decisions mark a twist in the conflict over the aggressive stand the FCC has taken against obscenity and profanity since Janet Jackson flashed the world during the last Super Bowl halftime show. Steven Spielberg's Oscar-winning movie aired on ABC with relatively little controversy in 2001 and 2002, but station owners — including several in large markets — are unnerved that airing it Thursday could bring federal punishment. The film includes a violent depiction of the D-Day invasion and profanity.

I just want to point out, some of these very same ABC affiliates, namely the ones in Omaha and Des Moines, were the same ones that pulled Politically Incorrect off the air when Bill Maher's "We have been the cowards lobbing missiles from 2,000 miles away" comment got taken out of context (http://www.millionflagmarch.com/bill/quick.htm).

Lexi
11-11-2004, 09:45 AM
This is RIDICULOUS. Of course, cause our veterans didnt enconter any violence... ::)

Another example at how crazy this is becoming.

Tigerlilly
11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Wow- I just turned off the TV after watching the noon news and heard something about the program change but it didnt say why.

More proof ( to me anyway) that the government is increasingly trying to control more and more of our individual choices in life.

Long live cable ;)

Djoser
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Maybe this will cause the various people who assert that our civil liberties and freedom of speech aren't threatened to WAKE UP.

But I doubt it.

And naturally the current climate of a burgeoning moral police state is just my imagination. Better get those lap dances while you can...

Daddyforhire
11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
It's either:

a) a sophomoric attempt at a protest at the expense of our Veterans

or

b) the networks testing the waters for clarification, again at the expense of our Veterans

either way, it's shitty on the networks' part.

VenusGoddess
11-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, you know why they're really doing it. Come war time with that moron Bush again...they won't want to scare the newbies joining. "Yeah...you're going to the mid-east...no...no sweat...you just point and shoot. Besides...think of the tan you'll have. Also, it's so peaceful there now...you'll be more like, a, a, a...a peace-keeper...yeah. You know if Georgie could move there right now with his family...he would...but he's gotta finish running our country into the ground."

Tigerlilly
11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Maybe this will cause the various people who assert that our civil liberties and freedom of speech aren't threatened to WAKE UP.

But I doubt it.

Sigh. I agree- It sure is disheartening to see so many take the "as long as it isnt happening to me" stance

montythegeek
11-11-2004, 06:14 PM
My local ABC affiliate is going along with this transparent act of symbolic stupidity and airing that insipid Tom/Nicole flix "Far and Away". I will be removing the channel from the favorite channels on my TV and spending the time coming up with reasons to oppose their next license renewal to include in the letter to the FCC.

RedZ28
11-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Strange, I was able to watch it on my affiliate. Then again I do live in the NYC metro area. And FCC, we laugh at thee!

threlayer
11-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Everyone who votes should know something of the realities of War. War has a tremendous cost to society for multiple generations. People who don't have to go to war need to know what it is like.

Saving Private Ryan is a great movie and is an anthem to our war Veterans.

I especially like the ending when young Ryan is morphed into old Ryan who is completing his life's pilgrimmage by paying tribute to the grave of the brave soldier whose job it was to bring him home. It brought tears to my eyes.

It would have been possible to mask over the expletives, but doesn't that concept seem so trite and immaterial considering the violence of the war?

I'm glad the FCC specifically stated that they would not act against those stations that carried it.

Deogol
11-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Everyone who votes should know something of the realities of War. War has a tremendous cost to society for multiple generations. People who don't have to go to war need to know what it is like.

Saving Private Ryan is a great movie and is an anthem to our war Veterans.

I especially like the ending when young Ryan is morphed into old Ryan who is completing his life's pilgrimmage by paying tribute to the grave of the brave soldier whose job it was to bring him home. It brought tears to my eyes.

It would have been possible to mask over the expletives, but doesn't that concept seem so trite and immaterial considering the violence of the war?

I'm glad the FCC specifically stated that they would not act against those stations that carried it.
Before the airing, they (FCC) refused to clarify whether or not they would act against the stations.

Upon previous airings of the movie, there were complaints made against it. Indeed, the American Family Council or whatever they are called, cheered the pulling of the movie from the air by ABC.

Add to that, ABC doesn't get the fine - the affiliate station - you know - those local news people - they are the ones who end getting fined by the FCC. We all the see the fine being applied to this far away multi-million dollar organization - when really - the fine is paid by the small 30 employee TV station down the street.

This is called CYA. The FCC clearly called for the fining of stations that aired explicit language. The owners of the movie clearly stated in their contracts that the movie must be run unedited.

Of course some of the broadcasters bowed out of airing the movie!

threlayer
11-13-2004, 09:08 PM
As usual I didnt know it was being played until after I saw it while scanning. Nor did I know there was controversy until I saw the FCC thing in google news a day or so later where the article stated the FCC was not going to object. I saw clearly content warnings after every commercial break.

I suppose some viewers did shamefully for those who could not get themselves to pick another station.