PDA

View Full Version : Political humor from the --gasp!--Right...

Djoser
11-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Unlike Rush Limbaugh, who is a joke, P.J. O'Rourke makes me laugh even when I disagree with him. He co-wrote Animal House, and a lot of brilliant material for National Lampoon. He has written several excellent books. I would love to see him debate with Hunter S. Thompson, with whom he shares a certain fondness for controlled substances.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/770chlec.asp

No one is infallible. Democrats are quite often ripe, juicy targets for political satire as well, even though it's generally easier to laugh at people who actually believe God is on Their Side...

RedZ28
11-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks, for the fair and balanced posting. Most of it was really funny because it was true.

montythegeek
11-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Good one DJ.
It is too bad Mr. O'Rourke is too busy writting books to become a TV-hogging pundit on the talk shows.

Katrine
11-14-2004, 07:55 AM
He is one of my liberal guilty pleasures:

I have read Eat the Rich and Parliament of Whores. I agree with him often, as a capitalist and a realist, but then my mushy bed wetting liberal superego steps in.... ;)

Adina
11-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh, it isn't just writing books that keeps Mr. O'Rourke busy...

Jay Zeno
11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm not understanding, Adina.

Pretty interesting background for a conservative writer. National Lampoon, as Djoser mentioned, Playboy, Rolling Stone, and Vanity Fair. Not your typical conservative publications.

Quotes from Mr. O'Rourke:
"The whole idea of our government is this: If enough people get together and act in concert, they can take something and not pay for it."
"Giving government money and power is like giving car keys and whiskey to a teenage boy."
"It's better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money."
"Never refuse wine. It is an odd but universally held opinion that anyone who doesn't drink must be an alcoholic."

and

"The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

Katrine
11-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh, it isn't just writing books that keeps Mr. O'Rourke busy...
What is it then?

Djoser
11-15-2004, 01:16 AM
I suspect we are going to be entertained with an interesting tale here...

Adina
11-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Mr. O'Rourke has a fondness 4 da ladies, that's all I was hinting at. I think I had a few glasses of Clos DuBois when I wrote that. Anyway, He's very upfront about it so I'm not outing him or anything. My kind of compassionate conservative ;D

Katrine
11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty sure he is married, but yeah, I'd do him. Republicans tend to be better in the sack unfortunately :(