PDA

View Full Version : do we HAVE to tip the dj??

mermaidnz
11-19-2004, 01:02 PM
ok, i know, of course your think "yeah, thatd be nice" but i have this lil wee prob...

i have NEVER asked the dj to play my music, i just said, play whatever is easy for you. so of course i didnt think it was mandatory to tip him, no one else does anyways.

tonight i brought in a cd, and marked a measly TWO songs off for him to play, and asked him nicely if he could play them at some stage during any one of my sets.

i thoguht this was fair enough. thats his job aswell too right.

so a few hours went by, and he hadnt played it, id been onstage twice. so the third time i went and asked, please can you play my music.

he played one song.

thats it.

one of the girls mentioned he wont play any of our music unless we give them a tip for every song they play!!!! wtf??

no offence, i know in the states you tip the dj, but our dj does nothing, he doesnt hussle over the mic for tips or dances etc, all he says the whole night is " that was blah on stage one, next on stage two is blah blah and next on stage one is blah blah" i mean wtf should i tip him for?? is this normal? sounds pretty shitty to me....

myiah
11-19-2004, 06:12 PM
in our club we are requierd to tip the DJ 10% of what we make but the DJ DOES promote each and every dancer there as well as promoting the dances

DJ_WuLf
11-20-2004, 05:08 PM
He plays music for you and announces your name ...... DO you tip a waiter for bringing your food order? Why not the DJ for helping you make momey? ESPECIALLY when you request that he play special music. Wow you Southern Hemisphere girls are cheeeep.

While it may not be the norm to tip the DJ for standard services in Japan or NZ it is ALWAYS polite to tip for specially requested service.

Susan Wayward
11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah, you have to tip the DJ. I'm not surprised he wouldn't play your stuff if you wouldn't. I think 10% is a little excessive, though, depending on what you're making. I usually give him $10-$20, depending on what kind of a night I'm having. It's different everywhere, though, esp if you make a more significant amount of your money on stage. Basically I'll pay my DJ more to keep me off stage than for putting me on.

scarlett_vancouver
11-20-2004, 06:41 PM
You don't have to, but it's generally worth it. If you don't normally, then for sure when you ask for your songs to be played. I mean, it would be nice if he did it without expecting a tip, but what would you do in his shoes???

mermaidnz
11-21-2004, 06:28 AM
You don't have to, but it's generally worth it. If you don't normally, then for sure when you ask for your songs to be played. I mean, it would be nice if he did it without expecting a tip, but what would you do in his shoes???
hha id do what my job title says and play damn songs!! lol

no offence to anyone , but he doesnt DO anything,announcing my name, isnt enough for me to want to give him a thou yen. and his job is to play music...some nights here im lucky if i MAKE a thou yen ( honest, last week, i had one 10 thou yen night and one 1 thou yen night) so giving him almost everything i earn, while he sits in his box announcing our names while we have to get naked, drink bs champagne and be nice to assholes, doesnt seem so cool

gypsy_girlchild
11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
How much does your DJ make off the club? Some make more than we think. I worked at a club where we didn't need to tip the Dj because he either made money off the door or a percentage of what the dancers paid to the club.. He never asked me for a tip and always seemed happy to play whatever we wanted. I tipped him becaue I liked him, but he didn't change his disposition euther way.

bdoc
11-22-2004, 02:32 PM
i have NEVER asked the dj to play my music, i just said, play whatever is easy for you. so of course i didnt think it was mandatory to tip him, no one else does anyways.
Hmmm, try this some night. All of the girls tell the DJ to take the night off and instead of having music, get up on stage and hum for your set. See how many tips YOU get.

scarlett_vancouver
11-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, try this some night. All of the girls tell the DJ to take the night off and instead of having music, get up on stage and hum for your set. See how many tips YOU get.

Uh, the Dj is getting payed (by the bar) to play music.

I've worked in bars where I had to push the buttons on the CD player myself- it wasn't that hard.

MrChristopher
11-23-2004, 01:28 AM
you're right....pushing "play" isn't difficult. my only point is that if this guy is not promoting you in ANY way, then no...fuck him. however.....most of us do NOT get paid by the bar. or if we do, it's what ...50 bucks? that's maybe 7 bucks an hour, depending on the shift. you do the math.

scarlett_vancouver
11-23-2004, 01:44 AM
I didn't know that some of you don't get paid by the bar...that sucks. Is that even legal??

Emily
11-23-2004, 01:59 AM
I've heard of some clubs that the DJ pays a house fee!

MrChristopher
11-23-2004, 02:17 AM
emily...when i worked at delilah's, i paid 65 bucks a night. just like the girls. they wrote me a receipt for "equipment rental". how funny is that?

phillydj
11-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Yep...thoes were the days,lol.

BigGreenMnM
11-23-2004, 01:10 PM
hha id do what my job title says and play damn songs!! lol

no offence to anyone , but he doesnt DO anything,announcing my name, isnt enough for me to want to give him a thou yen. and his job is to play music...some nights here im lucky if i MAKE a thou yen ( honest, last week, i had one 10 thou yen night and one 1 thou yen night) so giving him almost everything i earn, while he sits in his box announcing our names while we have to get naked, drink bs champagne and be nice to assholes, doesnt seem so cool
Just an observation.

By these same guidlines,why tip a stripper???

You need to understand who your greatest ally in the club is and treat them accordingly.
If you flip the coin,and they are NOT your greatest ally,then again,you need to treat them accordingly.

Someone saying that all a dj does is call names and push play is like saying all an entertainer does is stand on stage and take her clothes off.There is a lil more to it.;)

missalovelady
11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
I personally prefer the jukebox and work at a club with a jukebox.You guys are lucky in some ways to have a DJ.I personally dont like all the talking alot of them do and its quite embarassing sometimes to be standing there waiting on the song to start and they dont just play the song.But I tipped them anyways.But you can save money going to a jukebox club,and you still will make money without being promoted,the guys are there to see titties and ass not hear the DJ be humorous.I have met quite a few girls that talked about hating the DJ and working at places that have them and preferring the gold ol' jukebox.I like paying the $1.00 for 2 or 3 songs at some clubs and some clubs its a $1.00 a song in jukebox and then you have tipout of 10% at DJ clubs.I choose jukebox anyday,but if you are having them play your songs you should tip them some money.Djs are doing their job like you are yours and you'd be pissed if you went to work and got no tips.

BigGreenMnM
11-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Not to start debate,but I have yet to see a club where they use a jukebox that comes even close to the earning potential that a club with a dj has.

Besides..
aint ya tired of B17??

Malibu
11-26-2004, 09:15 AM
No offense to any djs but my club does well without one. Besides our clube being to small for a dj booth, it's a great little system and we have the staff who work in the club announce us on stage and announce promos with great skill and talent. It has never worked against us and I can't see how employing one will add to our income.

The two good sides to this (£ orientated I know) are that we don't have to pay extra for this 'benefit', and instead, we get paid for our shows (NOT the other way around). In past experiences, all djs have done is take money, especially in one club I worked at where ALL your funny money had to go to him as a tip otherwise he would skip you on stage rotation (the fucker would be rolling in it tenfold more than us esp with 40 girls on a night getting tipped like crazy).

Our current management understand that WE are the ones bringing them in the money so they treat us well.

I hope I haven't made myself hated by djs nationwide by expressing happiness at their redundancy at my club!

Emily
11-26-2004, 09:52 AM
In past experiences, all djs have done is take money, especially in one club I worked at where ALL your funny money had to go to him as a tip otherwise he would skip you on stage rotation (the fucker would be rolling in it tenfold more than us esp with 40 girls on a night getting tipped like crazy).

I tip my DJ $40 (the min is $10) to NOT put me on stage all night. All he has to do is ignore me the entire night. I make more. He makes more. The club makes more (off my dances) and the girls who like to go on stage make more. It's the perfect situation.

Also, not that I've done it, but if I ever wanted to do a feature-type show, a DJ would be instrumental. At least I have that option!

phillydj
11-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Malibu...none taken cause it sounds like youve had some nasty experiances with djs, as alot of you all seem to have. Someday maybe you'll work with a good one and you'll say to yourself "oh.....I get it.......".....well one can hope. And Emily....Mikey must LOVE you,lol....oh Im sorry...Its Damieon now isnt it??? I dont want to encourage his WRATH,lol.

DJ_WuLf
11-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Actually I have seen some (smaller) clubs where a Juke Box system works VERY Well. A neighborhood club that doesn't do specials, has 10-12 dancers, a regular clientele and only a night shift with little dancer turnover (so the guys KNOW the girls names) doesn't need a DJ IF the management keeps fresh music in the Box and limits the number of times per night a song can be played. It can make $50 - $80 a night for the club at 15 songs per hour. A DJ in a small club can become REAL boring REAL quick.

OTOH a Juke Box would NEVER Work in an Urban club with lots of girls and customers.

Emily
11-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Malibu...none taken cause it sounds like youve had some nasty experiances with djs, as alot of you all seem to have. Someday maybe you'll work with a good one and you'll say to yourself "oh.....I get it.......".....well one can hope. And Emily....Mikey must LOVE you,lol....oh Im sorry...Its Damieon now isnt it??? I dont want to encourage his WRATH,lol.

ha! Yes, that's the main DJ I work with....he goes by Damien now and he's more than willing to help me out.

Malibu
11-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Actually I have seen some (smaller) clubs where a Juke Box system works VERY Well. A neighborhood club that doesn't do specials, has 10-12 dancers, a regular clientele and only a night shift with little dancer turnover (so the guys KNOW the girls names) doesn't need a DJ IF the management keeps fresh music in the Box and limits the number of times per night a song can be played. It can make $50 - $80 a night for the club at 15 songs per hour. A DJ in a small club can become REAL boring REAL quick.

OTOH a Juke Box would NEVER Work in an Urban club with lots of girls and customers.
Oh, our music is VERY fresh and varied because it comes from us! We bring in our own tracks for stage and some of us who bring in CD cases will now and again allow the club to use them for the general atmosphere. The area where they play the CDs is under surveillance so our CDs can stay there all night with little worry of getting nicked and we take them home at the end of the night.

On the note of past experiences with djs, I've actually not had a bad run in with any personally, but some have a very money thirsty-attitude which I detest. I know that everyone wants to earn, but these guys are already getting a guaranteed pay and even if we have a shit night we STILL have to pay them - it's mandatory.

For the record, I have nothing against tipping personally, but I will only tip when I feel it's warranted which I think is pretty much the whole point! I don't want to feel like I have to.

BigGreenMnM
11-26-2004, 03:09 PM
I hope I haven't made myself hated by djs nationwide by expressing happiness at their redundancy at my club!lol
nope,not at all.At least not this dj.

A small club isnt the setting for a dj anyways.They work best in large venues with alot of girls.
I am sorry that your only memory of working with a dj is a bad one.Alot of dj's really care about the girls they work with and really do try to help them make money.

tampafldancer
11-26-2004, 03:49 PM
I tip my DJ $40 (the min is $10) to NOT put me on stage all night. All he has to do is ignore me the entire night. I make more. He makes more. The club makes more (off my dances) and the girls who like to go on stage make more. It's the perfect situation.

Also, not that I've done it, but if I ever wanted to do a feature-type show, a DJ would be instrumental. At least I have that option!
em, how do you work that out with the dj's? I would love to pay to stay off stage, thus also making more money.

MrChristopher
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
i gotta chime in here and say that while i love when a girl walks up, hands me X amount of cash and says "i'm not here", this all depends on the club. most clubs i have worked in simply do not allow it. and it aint worth risking my job over. it all depends on a great many number of things. how many girls working, etc. i often get girls that say "oh, no one will notice, just take the money, what's the big deal, etc". and maybe i have worked wth more competent managers than most, but mine ALWAYS notice. skipping a set or something is usually no big deal, but your whole shift, that's up to the management IMO.even if i thought it would be kosher for a night to try to sneak it past, some jealous girl always rats the stage-skipper out. but hey, if your management allows it, more power to ya. it got to the point at delilah's that they made me stop because it got crazy out of hand....10-15 girls a night trying to tip out to not go onstage.

Emily
11-26-2004, 04:41 PM
If my DJ says no, then I don't do it....kind of simple (I have been told no before)

I think people know, but nobody really cares. I'm the only girl that asks to do it as far as I know. Most of the girls bitch if the DJ skips them on stage!

And Tampa...I worked it out by asking the DJs. I tip at the beginning of the shift. I think this has more impact since they know you won't screw them on the tip. I've been doing this for a few weeks now...so far, so good.

MrChristopher
11-26-2004, 04:58 PM
gotcha. there was one girl who always said she didnt want to go onstage when i worked there years ago. and i think she's still there, too. but they told me to put her up, and i did. man did she have a cow.

mermaidnz
11-27-2004, 04:51 AM
uhhhh just a thought....is tipping the DJ also considered as a bribe?

you know, heres X amount of cash, give me a good song/keep me off stage etc?

scarlett_vancouver
11-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Yup, that's pretty much how I see it, lol!

I always tip, but it's been not that often that I've felt that the DJ really deserved and earned it. Otherwise it's a bribe of sorts, just to keep things friendly, to be treated well. I actually tip more than most because I like to be treated well. But I'm not tipping so much as bribing. Course they don't know that, so it's OK :D

scarlett_vancouver
11-27-2004, 06:25 AM
Hope I don't come off sounding like a DJ-hater in my posts either- I've really adored most of the DJs I've worked with...but I do think that the amount of money many of them expect is excessive, all things considered.
And it makes me kind of respect them less when I tip well and then get treated better (or vice cversa)...even though it's natural, human nature, I do the same thing. I guess I don't like the idea that DJs see me the same way I see customers! But it's a pretty good analogy.

Susan Wayward
11-27-2004, 07:18 AM
It's not a bribe any more than tipping the bartender is a bribe. You bribe someone to bend or break the law for you, and though you wouldn't know it from the way some of them act, DJs simply do not have that power ;). It's a tip to compensate them for performing certain services for you.

I have never worked in a club with a jukebox, but I've been in a couple, and they are definitely of the hole-in-the-wall variety. I think they're kind of funny.

Emily--$40? At our club (and as a rule in Austin) $20 keeps you off stage the entire night, $10 will get you skipped for one rotation. If the DJ can skip dancers at his discretion, this is one of the best services he can perform.

But to get back to what MNZ said, no way no how should you have to hand over most of what you make to the DJ. If it's a shitty night, then sorry. When we make money, they make money; the opposite also holds true.

Jay Zeno
11-27-2004, 09:16 AM
In my current club of choice, the dancer isn't supposed to be able to skip a stage set unless the customer buys her time from the club.

A few dancers there tip the DJ well, and he's been willing to give them leeway if they want time off for laps. On occasion, some generous customer *ahem* has gone to the DJ, slipped him some green, and thanked him for "his good work." The DJ then bends over backwards to make sure that the happy dancer and eager customer have some quality time.

Ah, but there's a catch. The other dancers notice when a girl is not in the usual rotation. Usually, they work together to help each other out. But when you have girls who do not get as many lap sales, they can be jealous of the ones who do. Then they go to the DJ or manager and might say, "Hey, I'm just curious - isn't Candibuns working today? I haven't seen her on stage...." This then forces the DJ to cut the lap session short, because it's technically a violation of the club policy without the customer paying the club for the time.

Ahhh, drama... what would we do without it? Other than living happier lives, I mean.

The aforementioned DJ is a bright spot in my experience. Generally, I've found the ratio to be about: 20% (or more) of them are really annoying - 60% of them do a workmanlike, OK job - and 20% (or less) are very good indeed and work out well for everyone. I'm sure that my DJ friends and acquaintances on this site, of course, fall into that upper 20%, just like the dancers and customers here do, too.

Hey, I said that without irony. Really.

And yeah, while I've been to jukebox places and enjoyed them, they're generally at the lower economic rungs of my strip club experience.

BigGreenMnM
11-27-2004, 10:15 AM
uhhhh just a thought....is tipping the DJ also considered as a bribe?

you know, heres X amount of cash, give me a good song/keep me off stage etc?
owch!
Yes it can.

But its just like an extra girl taking more money to break the rules.

If your dj is being fair to all the girls,all the time,no amount of a bribe can get him to break the rules.
If I cant play an off format song,even if a custy offers me 100 bucks,i still cant play it.Its not worth my job.
If a dj is bribed by the girls for one thing,he is bought and paid for on all the rules,by all the girls.
Dj's tend not to be fined,but replaced.
We have set rules we have to follow also.

Our jocks are not allowed to skip girls in the rotation except for certain things or permission from mgr.If they got cought taking money for a skip,they would be fired for sure,and the other girls would probably rip him a new ass.(and they would prob be the ones who turned him in)

I agree with equal treatment for entertainers across the board.Its the only way IMO to keep it fair.
Yes I agree also with veteran entertainers for a club getting benny's like music choice from the dj booth,but pretty much anything outside of that would be up to the mgr,not the dj.

DJ CYA 101

MrChristopher
11-27-2004, 10:31 AM
i'm still giggling about JZ's reference to a dancer named "Candibuns".

Back2TheTease
11-27-2004, 04:12 PM
There are clubs in my state where the DJ gets 10% regardless. He could play Milli Vinilli for you, a cd that skips, cut your songs short, or yawn during your performance, he still gets 10 percent, or you dont work period.
Believe me, I have a very arrogant DJ, who belives that he makes and breaks the place, and although this may drive me insane sometimes I know this in the bottom of my heart.
I DONT WANT HIS JOB!!!
I cannot speak for anyone else on here, but could you imagine what it is like to
-Call a girl to the stage, and she doesnt even show up for half the song, and yet you still have to keep the room from walking out.
-A girl is next on stage but has went home, you dont know this and much to your embarrasment you call her name only to have someone come up and go "Oh she is gone"
-In the last 30 seconds of a set a dancer runs up to tell you, she wants you to play these songs for her that she heard on the radio, but she doesnt remember the name of it
-Girls cussing you out cause you played "their" song for someone else (Did you write the song, nope okay then)
-Girls yelling at you from the stage (OMG, how stupid do you look)
-Girls crying, screaming, and oh yes puking in your work area. (How would you feel if the DJ came over and unloaded all of his drama while you were doing a table dance.)

I mean really come on, dancers feel like they deserve tips the momnet they walk upon the stage. Whether the dance, or just walk up and down the stage modeling their damn shoes.
DJ's have to be "on" all the time, a lot of dancers dont perform because there arent enough people in the room.
The DJ isnt "getting customers to tip you"... ladies it's a microphone, not a magic wand.
But hell that is just my two sense, what was this thread about :)

tampafldancer
11-27-2004, 04:53 PM
If my DJ says no, then I don't do it....kind of simple (I have been told no before)

I think people know, but nobody really cares. I'm the only girl that asks to do it as far as I know. Most of the girls bitch if the DJ skips them on stage!

And Tampa...I worked it out by asking the DJs. I tip at the beginning of the shift. I think this has more impact since they know you won't screw them on the tip. I've been doing this for a few weeks now...so far, so good.
Em, how much should i try and bribe him?
I don't want to be too cheap?

tampafldancer
11-27-2004, 04:54 PM
i notice that there are a couple of girls that dont go up on stage. I wonder if that is managements doing? These girls have been there forever and have less then perfect bodies (way overweight) BUT STILL earn the club money.???

missalovelady
11-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Not to start debate,but I have yet to see a club where they use a jukebox that comes even close to the earning potential that a club with a dj has.

Besides..
aint ya tired of B17??
The famous Hipphugger in IN. is a jukebox club and has girls that travel from surrounding states to work there.Its a no dj club.I think its like the top club in IN.The girls dont ever make less than 300 bucks even on dayshift.So there are clubs that do just fine without djs.It depends on the atmosphere.

MissTaylor
11-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Amen Back2TheTease!!

I love my DJ's. Sure they get as bitch as the girls do but if I had to hang out with 40 catty ladies every night, I'd get bitchy too. I've NEVER complained to my dj. Even when he told me no to a Marilyn Manson set and then played it for another girl at the end of the night. I still make it a point to ask for those songs just to piss him off though, ha ha. He's anti-manson!