PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Clocks

doc-catfish
12-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I have a laptop with Windows XP and every few days or so, the clock mysteriously goes back exactly two hours. I also use a laptop at work that seems to lose a few minutes every few days. The strange thing is that I've never encountered any such problem with a computer clock on a desktop.

Anyone else with a laptop ever have similar problem? It's not that hard to correct, but can something can be done to fix this?

Hate
12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Sounds like it could be some kind of virus or worm. They have been known to screw with the clock. I would check this out going by what I have seen in the past and what you said about the consistancy of it being 2 hrs off. Don't run Mcafee's or Nortons, they never worked for me. I use Avast ( www.avast.com) and highly recommend it. I also recommend Ad-aware by lavasoft. It wouldn't hurt to try this first.

northy
12-15-2004, 06:43 AM
sounds simple.... but you might also like to try replacing the battery on the motherboard first. first sign of a battery dying is when the clock function starts to screw up

SportsWriter2
12-15-2004, 08:24 AM
I have a laptop with Windows XP and every few days or so, the clock mysteriously goes back exactly two hours.
Right-click on the time and select Adjust Date/Time. Select the Internet Time tab to see if the clock synchronizes with an Internet site periodically. Then select the Time Zone tab. If you're set to the wrong time zone (like two zones west), the clock will go back exactly two hours every time it resynchronizes.

doc-catfish
12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Right-click on the time and select Adjust Date/Time. Select the Internet Time tab to see if the clock synchronizes with an Internet site periodically. Then select the Time Zone tab. If you're set to the wrong time zone (like two zones west), the clock will go back exactly two hours every time it resynchronizes.
:thumbsup: Bingo! The time zone setting was on Pacific time. Thanks for the tip.

Its probably been this way since I bought it, but prior to my old desktop clunking out on me back in August, I haven't been using it online much except to update the anti-virus.

SportsWriter2
12-18-2004, 01:12 PM
:thumbsup: Bingo! The time zone setting was on Pacific time. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. Anything for a fellow junkie. :)

Zaijann
04-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I hate that , xp defaults to pacific standard time lol
good catch