PDA

View Full Version : Closer

Katrine
01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I just saw it. "Slow?" Hmm, there are no explosions, sword fights, gun battles, or gratuitous sex scenes, so I guess it would be slow for some. It reminded me a lot of Your Friends and Neighbors - both are movies about the nasty things people do to each other in relationships, and both are good films that are hard to like. Clive Owen was fantastic - he stole the show. Interestingly, in the stage version in 1997, he played the role that Jude Law plays in the movie.
We just came back from it. Oddly enough, the big man suggested we see it. He is usually only willing to see films with the explosions.

We were both very impressed. Clive Owen is my new boyfriend. He actually looks a bit like my man, in essence.

My review is pretty much summed up by Adina's above, so I'll let it speak for itself.

Portman's stripper scene was great. Her stripper personae is much like my own, very flirtatious and supercilious at the same time. Owen's character tries to convince himself that he is in control and she is being degraded when really the opposite is very true, as exhibited by her barely concealed smugness.

3/4 stars.....

SportsWriter2
01-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Kat. I was planning to see Closer with a dancer, but the theater schedule changed that week and I couldn't fit it in. I guess one has to follow closely to understand and appreciate it. Give the big man some points.

The reviews have ranged from 2/5 to 5/5. I liked the trailer. :)

britfreak2
01-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I thought the movie sucked. Probably the best part was Natalie Portman's ass.

wall
01-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Did this movie really come out 13 yeas ago?

I thought the best part of the movie was a seasoned, curvier Julia Roberts saying "fuck". I thought the Natalie Portman stripping scene was well crafted, but Clive Owen carried it and Portman didn't seem completely comfortable. It was hard to tell if she was going for detached or wooden with her performance.