PDA

View Full Version : DJs...what should WE do?

AudreyLeigh
02-15-2005, 12:56 PM
OK, we have a few djs at our club... John being one of them. John does this thing where rather than putting girls on a normal rotation he has a list and X's and O's our names depending on what stage theyve been on. He tends to put some girls on more than others (even ones that tip really well) He is PISSING everyone off from this BS... all the other DJs use a normal rotation where you go down the list. With Johns shit we never know when were on... I didnt think I was on for 5-6 more girls, walk into the VIP area and he calls me to f-ing stage. And when Im sitting around Im NOT on stage. What the hell is wrong with him. Its not just me.. pretty much all the girls were pissed off last Saturday from this.

Were seriously going to do a DJ strike this weekend if he keeps making us lose money like this.. no tip, from anyone, at ALL. we think that this is the only thing we can do because talking to him and explaining doesnt work. Does he NOT know that this BS is making US lose $$ which means HE loses $$???

Were all so damn FRUSTRATED!!!!

help >:(

~Audrey

Weaselboy
02-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Are You Sure The Owner Isn't telling him to do this.............

AudreyLeigh
02-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Gee... obviously you dont own a SC... what freaking sense would that make when the owner makes $$ off the VIP area?!?!

phillydj
02-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Honestly I would go to mngmnt. Maybe he just cant get the hang of the rotation and isnt doing it to be meen, its the fact that he cant handle it. Have you approched him about it?? Maybe hes having trouble and dosent understand what to do. Id try nicely asking him whats up b4 taking any action.

MrChristopher
02-15-2005, 11:21 PM
my only addition would be this...is he skipping a lot of girls because he has been told they are in VIP, couch, etc? i dont know the rules of your club, but there is probably a reason. i'm not going to bat for the guy, but see if you can find out why he is doing it first. you mentioned that the other dj's don't do it, so find out why. if he's just a clueless fucktard, then yes, organize a revolt.

gypsy_girlchild
02-15-2005, 11:42 PM
You are lucky.. We are fined if we do not pay ten percent of what we make... And yes, they keep track of what we make and tell us to the dollar what we owe.
It doesn't matter if the DJ sucks or not or that he REFUSES to play songs we usually dance to. He just plays random songs all night. But, we have to pay or get a 50 dollar fine because he himself pays the owner of my club to work there. Almost , if not equal to what we pay.
How's that for democracy?

myssi
02-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Sounds like he's probably favoring some dancers at the expense of others (like you audreyleigh).
Maybe he's trying to get dancers to pay him bribes to be treated decently. OTOH he could
just be a jerk.

AudreyLeigh
02-16-2005, 10:15 AM
As per the VIP thing.. no.. he called me right as I walked IN... the other thing is he isnt new.. he is just stupid.. he only does this type of "rotation" on weekends because ive never had a problem when im working with him during the week. No, we dont have a mandatory tip and they do not keep track of our dances. On a Sat night he would typically walk out with a good grand from tips... it wasnt me, or just a couple dancers.. he was pissing everyone off with this "rotation" becausae NO ONE knew when they were going to be up. When we would ask he'd say 2-3 girls and 6-7 girls later were like WTF? I think ive got the problem solved.. Ill work elsewhere on Sat nites... :)

AudreyLeigh
02-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Gypsy - its not unusual for DJs to pay to work and be Ind Cont like us. I dont know what ours pays but on weekends he typically leaves with more than us! But then again we have a flat rate $50 stage fee and pay nothing else at all. Unless Mark is the manager on duty - he'll fine you for anything and everything he can if he doesnt like you... thank God he only tried to fine me once for $20 - i was late for stage because it was slow in the club and I was in the back doing HOMEWORK.. I had to literally SHOW him because he didnt believe me! He hasnt tried to fine me again. ok now im totally off subject

~Audrey

p.s. I got 100% on that test and 93% on the other ;)

gypsy_girlchild
02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
lol, good for you on that test!
We can get fined pretty heavy as well. I've been fined for beaing late because they forgot to turn on the mikes in the dressing room so I didn't hear my name called. I was only less than a minute late, but we only get 30 secinds or we are fined. Of course they turned the mike up after that.
I just wish we had the choice of how much we tip because the DJs ARE making more than us while affecting our money because we don't even know what they are going to play for us. I like to know the song or at least have it mesh into the next one. I have asked him countless times not to play 80's crap, but he doesn't listen.
I don't want to have to, but I think I might have a petition go around to have the dancers heard. I'mnot asking to have him fired at all. Just to have the owner listen to our problems w/out getting fined for it.

AudreyLeigh
02-17-2005, 04:20 PM
i so would have told him to kiss my ass - it wasnt YOUR fault the mic was too low to hear. THAT IS B*LLSHIT.. i say STRIKE! :)

Djoser
02-17-2005, 11:15 PM
The fines can be ridiculous, as in your case, Gypsy.

And the DJs can be dumb, as in your case, Audrey. So many of them I have met are illiterate morons--unlike the guys here on SW, thankfully.

The DJ shouldn't make more than the dancers, in my opinion, especially if they aren't even playing what you like.

The management may make him play a lot of 80's music, though. I worked in one club that insisted we play classic rock, limited modern rock ("anything after '85"!!!), and "upbeat, happy top 40".

Needless to say the dancers hated the format, and some of them tried to blame me, since management never had the balls to explicitly tell the dancers why I was being forced to do this. I told the, and told them I didn't like it, either, which meant that management considered me a traitor. When customers complained, I was blamed as well.

Don't get me started about that club. They still claim they fired me, but I gave notice a couple weeks beforehand, so whatever...

dedman
02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Gypsy you are right it is bullshit if he is not doing what you ask but the owner of that club keeps them on a tight leash as to what to play. BUT the ten percent is being enforced by the managers because your DJ's have to pay TWICE what you do! What really sucks is that these are the only clubs in Richmond that DON'T pay the DJ something. I know because I used to bounce there and it is putting a huge strain on the DJ's that do try to make you money and a little secret, the DJ has a little more pull on that late to stage crap than he lets on. Some of them might cut you a lot more slack than you think if you talk to them once in a while. }:D