PDA

View Full Version : Classic Rock Lover needs to learn to love Rap

colleen
02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi, everybody. HEre is another one of my complicated dumb questions:

I am basically a classic rock kind of girl. One of my favoirte sets is Danzig, Pretenders, and pat benetar. I am in a club that plays rap, hip-hop, and R & B almost exclusively. Not to knock anybody, but this music jsut does not move me. It all sounds the same to me and, like headbanger music, it has a driving beat but all desire to move stops at the neck. I am trying to learn to dance to it, jsut to be a good sport and hopefully to please the crowd. I can shake my ass, but I am NOT inspired.

Currently I have ONE rap set taht I like. It consists of Eminem "Ass like that" and Sir Mix-a-lot, "Baby got Back" and Twista "Roll that ass like a 24" Yes there eis a theme here, and I use a belly dancer costume for this one!

Can anybody suggest some good music for me that would sort of bridge the gap for me? I like music that is complex and has a good driving beat, about the speed ot the pretender "night in my veins" or benetar's "shadows of the night"

Thank you! :-*

Lolita86
02-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Try Chingy's "Make that ass talk"

btw I love sir mix-a-lot! Great choice!

Susan-Va
02-20-2005, 04:29 PM
How about some rock/rap stuff, along the lines of Limp Bizkit or Anthrax. JayZ and Lincoln Park do a good combo of Numb (I think). Early Run-DMC is good too, nice rock beats.

Djoser
02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
How about some rock/rap stuff, along the lines of Limp Bizkit or Anthrax. JayZ and Lincoln Park do a good combo of Numb (I think). Early Run-DMC is good too, nice rock beats.

Excellent suggestion!

This works both ways, such as for dancers accustomed to hip-hop or rap who are working in clubs where only rock is allowed.

"Rollin' " remix--Limp Biskit with DMX--this is very hot
"Walk this Way"--Run/DMC and Aerosmith
"Come with me"--Puff Daddy remixs Led Zeppelin
"Caress Me Down"--Sublime (lots of Sublime songs are good, but lots have a discordant beat--choose with care)
"Hits from the Bong"--Cypress Hill
"Insane in the Membrane"--Cypress Hill
"Intergalactic"--Beastie Boys (if you like them I have lots of good suggestions--forget that horrible "brass monkey" shit!)
"Renegades of Funk"--Rage against the Machine

What about techno, will they play that? forget about the housey, froo-froo shit, you won't like it. I'm talking about techno with balls, like Crystal Method, or some of the breakbeat stuff, like DJ Baby Anne's "Pepper Spray".

Or what about old school funk, there's all kinds of stuff like that, more along the lines of Sir Mix-a-Lot.

Try "Back to the Hotel"--n2deep, or "Hypnotise"--Notorious B.I.G.--these were played to deatha few years back, but might be a welcome relief to the endless assault of 50cent we are getting now. BUT...

...speaking of 50cent--though I detest him, there is a great remix of NIN's "Closer" with 50cent "In da Club'--it's hard to find, but hot, keep looking!

If none of this works, because your DJ is an asshole--which wouldn't surprise me--get your ass out of there and to another club. Most stripclub DJs would kill for another dancer who likes rock.

PaigeDWinter
02-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I suggest any of the Jay-Z/Linkin Park songs, or Trick Daddy's Let's Go (which has a loop from Ozzy's Crazy Train in it). See if they'd be willing to do some older stuff that could/can be classified as R&B maybekindasorta like Prince. There's a lot of "Rap Rock" out there, but if the club is that hard up on sticking to an Urban playlist, most of it wont be played. If there are songs that are an urban group WITH a rock band, such as the Jay-Z/Linkin Park stuff, or RUN DMC/Aerosmith, etc, they might be more receptive to play it. Otherwise, I'd suggest just listening to what else gets played there, find your town/city's closest urban radio station and listen at home. Try out moving to the new beats you hear while at home where there isnt any sort of distraction. I've always been a firm believer that a real good dancer can work with anything. Cant hurt to try.

DJShawnDoe
02-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I do not think so, i love the old school format, rap does not have any place in the club, other suggestions i aw on here are cool, but i tell you what , i am about the show and the songs fitting the costumes and mood, i do not think something like, "to the windows , to the walls, till the sweat dropps fromm my balls, skee skee skee" you know what that shit is wrong!,do not feel bad or let your self be brung down by these assholes, sorry my town right now is goin through this, i been doin this for 16 years , 9 years in vegas, it hurts me to see the real entertainers subjected to this stuff,
i am goin to open an old school club just for us, and make more money than any one else,

oh by the way i am only 28, so what does that tell you,i know what this is about, i got your back darlin, but the sugestions i heard are a very good half way point for you, my hats off to the dj's how post before me :)
yours
Dj Shawn Doe

Djoser
02-21-2005, 12:30 AM
..."to the windows , to the walls, till the sweat dropps fromm my balls, skee skee skee" you know what that shit is wrong!,

LOL, I liked that song until I heard the lyrics, unlike most of the new rap, which leaves me cold.

I used to like hip-hop more than any other genre except techno/industrial came along, and still a close second, until about 5 years ago.

Now the majority of the new rap is about bragging, and treating women like shit, at least whats on the radio and in the clubs I hear.

No wonder so many guys are bullshitters, lol...

There are some exceptions. I like Ice Cube a lot, but then he's not really new, is he?

There is some good stuff out there, but you have to weed through a lot of shit to get to it. This is why I was so glad to see AinNy start the thread about hip-hop and R & B., he has weeded out a lot of the stuff I don't like, and come up with some great tracks.

You might find some good stuff in there, colleen--here is the link:

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44410

colleen
02-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys! I am going to print this out and take it to work tonight. I am bound to find something I like here!

Gynger
02-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I was a lot like you.. I like listening to Rap on occasion, but found it very difficult to dance to.. I did however, like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock and Method of Mayhem because they had a rap style with a metal edge to them... Try Fear Factory too.. Not much help, but I completely understand.. As a former dancer, I danced to a lot of heavy metal, classic rock and butt rock!

Djoser
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
...Method of Mayhem because they had a rap style with a metal edge to them...

I am now kicking myself with steel toed boots for forgetting to mention the BEST...

Try "Get Naked", or "Narcotic", or "Proposition Fuck You."

sol_de_pr2
02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey, don't love rap, keep loving rock!!!!

reesexc
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I used to dance to Get Naked....that's a good one. Linkin Park has a lot of hip-hop infused beats. Try the Beastie Boys. I'm hip hop junkie, but in this business you do have to learn to dance to anything...and that I have from hardcore rap to country...gotta make that money..lol

toxicgirl
02-25-2005, 02:20 AM
damn i'm realizing how stubborn i am. i dance to industrial. but i will dance to punk (good stuff like misfits, social d, rancid), old skool goth, synthpop, some techno (picky on that one). i have danced to old skool burlesque stuff, but dancing with a mohawk and spiked collar doesnt really go with rap music...it's looks really funny.

Jisela
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok, I am a rap fan, but while I'm working, I only dance to slower r&b music, and occasionally rap. I blamed this on my style of dancing. But, I would say if you wanna start doing or getting into more rap, the best songs are the slower "gangsta love" rap songs. It's a lot slower and probably more enjoyable then fast paced gangster rap. Try Freak Though by T.I., Waterfalls by Ludacris or Chillin With My bitch by T.I. Those are some of my favorite rap songs. Although I do dance to badunkadunk too. It's a club song.

colleen
04-13-2005, 02:09 AM
I am starting to "get it" a little. I have been listenting to what the other girls play and geting the feel for it . . . sort of. I always could pride myself on being able to dance to anything . . . then rap came along.

I liearned the bootie shake move form another girl, and now I can do rap/r&b when I have a house packed with guys who are likely to enjoy that kind of thing. I am definitely going to burn some of these songs and take them to work with me, after trying them out at home.

My husband suggested Usher. I think he sounds like a modern Barry White. Has anybody here ever tried his music?

Lovespell
04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
I love Usher. He's got some good stuff. Check out Red Light, that's one of my favorites.

djnikadeemas
04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm not quite sure if you're open to suggestions any longer but i'd highly recommend Inhumanz - Hell To Pay (http://www.groovedis.com/lp/inhumanz/helltopay/helltopay.asp) CD which is actually a mash-up of Hip Hop / Rock

The lead track is quite possibly the best fuckin' mix you could ever possibly dance too:

"50 Cent vs. Nine Inch Nails - 50 Inch Nails"

It might be a lil difficult to track down so if you're after... feel free to contact me

enjoy your persuit of happiness