PDA

View Full Version : Some DJs make me laugh

Susan Wayward
02-22-2005, 07:41 AM
I was working at a club out of town a couple of weeks ago, and as I always do at a new place, I just start off by telling the DJ I like classic rock. Classic rock to me being Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, the Doors, Rush, David Bowie, etc. I wait until I have an idea of the club's format before I start bringing in my own stuff, which tends towards the more contemporary.

This guy plays Warrant and Def Leppard. Hee! Now, I know that being 15-20 years old, some hair metal is in "classic rock" territory, but I actually named the above artists and said, specifically, "stuff from the 60s and 70s." I cannot, for the life of me, imagine where he got an interest in hair metal from this.

Of course, this isn't as bad as the Portland DJ who had never heard "Bad Reputation" and "Cherry Bomb" before.

I'm a pretty easy-going dancer; I'll dance to just about anything except rap (look at me, do you think I could pull that off if I tried?) But oh, these DJs who confuse the 80s with the 60s (I encountered another one this week) work my nerves.

Oh, another funny thing: over the course of this past week, I've worked with three different DJs (same club). One asked me, "What's your favorite song?" I answered, as I always do, "'Waterloo Sunset' by the Kinks." "I don't think we have that," he said. Hah! "Oh, hell, not to dance to. I don't dance to the music I actually listen to."

MrChristopher
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
i get that all the time lately. younger dancers asking me for "classic rock....you know....old stuff. do you have any Poison?" i also played some Pearl Jam song the other day..."Rear View Mirror" methinks, and one of the girls screamed "OOOH DAMN!!! OLD SCHOOL!". and sadly, she wasn't being clever or ironic. I'm only 32 but man it makes me feel old.

scarlett623
02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
I work weekdays at an upscale club with a mostly older, white collar crowd. Early in the day I dance to classic rock and after 4 or 5 o'clock I bring it up to more contemporay, harder rock. That said, I too have had a DJ play me Def Leppard and Whitesnake at 1:30 in the afternoon! This after I wrote out a list with The Eagles, Foreigner, and Elton John on it! I'm almost 34 and knowing that there are people out there who think my high school memories classify as "classic" just horrifies me!:O

Susan Wayward
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Geez. Can't people keep their decades straight? I mean, and no offense intended, I would never ever dance to Elton John or Foreigner. But I would play you some Rupert Holmes, Boston, or Allman Brothers based on your likes, certainly not hair metal.

Blade
02-24-2005, 10:14 PM
it is sad that the music I try my damndest to forget(poison,bullet boys,etc) has become classic rock...somewhere Janice is rollin over in her grave(and not to bang jimi). I suppose hell has possibly frozen over, either that or at 36 I've become aged.....

DJ_Lewi
02-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I would love to play a lot of classic rock plus some of the hair bands in my club but management want top 40 or dance played. I can only get away with it when our Show Girls have it in their sets.

Some have used Led Zepplin and even one dancer had Smoke On The Water while others have used bands Like the Kinks and Joan Jet. Though i'd love them to use The Runaways

Slash is currently touring Australia with his new band Velvet Revolver and came into the club a couple of nights ago. He asked for some songs to be played and after realising what type of format we had, just asked me if i could play him some Madonna. I freaked him out by getting the next Show Girl to do her Army Show which featured Rage Against The Machine, Metallica and Pantera. I threw on some Areosmith and Kiss after her show just for the hell of it. Its great what you can get away with sometimes.