PDA

View Full Version : Dancing to a certain genre?

TigersMilk
02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if dancing to a certain type of music will help your sales? Will guys remember you better if they hear your "siganture" song?

I am going back and wondering what to dance to. I love to dress up and dance to different music all the time. I cant stand to dance to rock rock rock rock..techo techo techo all the time... I love a change. Does a certain type a genre of music you dance to really matter?

Djoser
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Sure it does...

I had a dancer I worked with who used to kick ass with jazz. One of the only two dancers I have seen who could pull off the Miles Davis I sprung on them. By God she was in VIP a long time after that set.

There are certain women who demand music that is out of the ordinary, and a good DJ will recognize this and seek it out. When they go onstage, the air seems to crackle, and heads turn involuntarily. If you are this kind of woman, don't let the lack of imagination of your DJ stop you from making the best of it. Out on the floor, they are already saying "What is it about this girl...?" They'll be that much more intrigued if the music is as arresting as you are.

A really professional dancer will bank by knowing when to bust out the AC/DC for the dinosaur rock fans who are already throwing money around. If she doesn't like it, you'll never know the difference. She picked it because she knew the crowd.

But give a woman like this a song that moves her, and you will see something rare and beautiful indeed.

BigGreenMnM
02-27-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree.
But if you dont know what you want,or cant seem to put it together like you want yet,a good rule of thumb to follow is K.I.S.S..
Keep It simple stupid.

Go with upbeat and exciting music with alot of energy.
Try to play music that most of your crowd will know and might even sing along to.
Dance to the music these guys are listening to on thier morning drive to work.When they hear it the next day,they will think of you.

If the radio stations are going to beat a new song to death,it might as well act as a subliminal ad message for ya.

Celeste25
02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I never seem to able to get away from U2... No matter what, there's always a U2 song in my set; it's music everyone knows and (most of them) like and it always turns heads because you never hear U2 in a strip club. Right now it's Vertigo which is really f***in fast but I can pull it off and the guys love it. Weirdest song was Unforgetable Fire.. that did'nt work so well. Their music really moves me.

PS Byt the way, did your hear about Bono being nominated for a Nobel peace prize!!?

Katrine
02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I'd get bored too quickly with the same genre but at one club in Houston my signature songs were "Kiss, Kiss" by Tarkan and "Habibi" by Amr Diab. That was for my bellydance-inspired routine.

kitana
02-28-2005, 07:16 AM
I agree Djoser. It is indead a rare and very beautiful thing when a dancer can move me to want to tip her.

Alas, I am the only one at my club that dances to the music that was made for seduction. I'm talking about the BLUES!!!!!

I love the blues, and I think it's by far the sexiest thing a dancer can dance to.

But that's just me.

Kitana

LilSweetVixen
02-28-2005, 11:43 AM
yes. there was a girl at my old club who always danced to either Prince or Michael Jackson and she would do these slick cat like motions and do some Michael Jackson type slides. She's the best dancer I've ever seen. I think that a signature move is more important though, something that no one seems to be able to do. This girl is able to sit on the ground, put her legs up in the air, and walk on her butt cheeks and it actually looks very slinky and sexy. So I would start with developing your signature move, then build your songs around what it looks good with, then build your outfits around that.:)

Djoser
02-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Alas, I am the only one at my club that dances to the music that was made for seduction. I'm talking about the BLUES!!!!!

I love the blues, and I think it's by far the sexiest thing a dancer can dance to.

But that's just me.

Kitana

More power to you! I have gladly played the blues for any dancer who asked for it. I tend to stay away from the slower songs, especially on a friday, but it works just fine from my experience. I assume you like Stevie Ray Vaughn, right?

Maybe we should start a blues thread...

onlythebest
02-28-2005, 01:08 PM
My genre is the 80's,baby!!!

TigersMilk
02-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Djoser I think you should start a blues thread...it would interesting to hear some suggestions on what to dance to as far as blues goes.

Moneywise
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Muddy Waters! That's some "make you want to jump out of a moving car at 80mph" blues right there!

Djoser
02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
We will start that thread, but before we do, I will post here my very favorite blues song...

"Walkin' Blues", by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee

Forget about being depressed when this one comes on, it's quite powerful, and has a kick-ass bass line--that's what hooked me on it.

PaigeDWinter
03-01-2005, 05:36 AM
I try to set my music to what sort of customers we have in the bar at the time. Demographics! My day crowd is mostly older, white men. I get good tips when I do Sinatra/Big Band/Jazz/Classic Rock sets. When the bikers show up, I stick with Classic Rock and some harder rock. The younger crowd... well, I try to scope their attire, demenor... that helps me figure out what sort of music suits them best.

Djoser
03-01-2005, 06:45 AM
...When the bikers show up, I stick with Classic Rock and some harder rock.

Try to find this song...

"Harley-David (Son of a Bitch)", by the Bollock Brothers, an English band.

This was a one hit wonder that came out around 1990. But what a hit! It's got the engines roaring in the beginning, it's got extremely funny lyrics, and it's got a serious, gutsy beat.

"Bollocks" is English slang for "balls", which might explain why a certain English Oscar winner said it was "the dog's bollocks to win this". It was funny because she was so elegantly dressed as this vulgar bit of humor escaped her lips.

The bikers don't always know what to make of this song. they know its a compliment of sorts, but it also lampoons the macho image bikers are prone to cherish--so subtly that no one could ever take offense. Don't worry, it won't cause problems--I have played it in a club with dozens of felonious members of a hardened motorcycle gang among the crowd, and there was no problem. Now when I painted their colors on that girl's stomach, it was a different story, lol...

PaigeDWinter
03-01-2005, 03:15 PM
*takes notes on songs*

According to the Brits in my family, to bollock is to reprimand, to call something bollocks is bad. It's like calling it crap, shite, or it's used as an exclimation of anger, kinda like DAMMIT!

But to call something THE bollocks, or the dog's bollocks, is good! If something is the dog's bollocks, its the best! :D

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Eddie Izzard has a whole bit about the difference between "bollocks" and "the dog's bollocks". quite amusing. and yeah, that Bollock Brothers song is fun. i have...3 versions off the single from years ago. there's no date at all on the cd anywhere but im thinking it had to be a few years pre 1990, as thats when i graduated HS and i recall dancing it up at Visage in Orlando back in the day to it before i graduated.

edit: i just looked online...1987. no big deal, but it was bugging me.;D

PaigeDWinter
03-02-2005, 05:16 AM
Eddie Izzard has a whole bit about the difference between "bollocks" and "the dog's bollocks".

*swoon* Eddie could talk about anything in the world and it would make me a quivering (albiet laughing) fangirl goofball in .02 seconds.