PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics

krys
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
What are some songs that would go well with this?

reesexc
02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I once danced to this and like lover's do by them..if that's the correct title

Djoser
02-28-2005, 11:08 PM
My esteemed colleague Katrine already mentioned one of the best possible songs to go with this--"Take Me to the River", by Annie Lennox (the lead singer for the Eurythmics). It was in another thread here.

From that same solo CD of hers--I forget the name, but I can find it, it's here somewhere, lol--there is also "Train in Vain", a remake of the excellent Clash song by that name. It's quite different from the Clash original, but good.

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 08:23 AM
the annie lennox covers cd is called "medusa". her version of "whiter shade of pale" is beautiful, too.

the "like lovers do" song reese mentioned is "here comes the rain again".

as for stuff to go with "sweet dreams"...wow, there's a plethora of groovy 80's/new wave songs that would go with it nicely. do you like anything else from that era?i can literally think of about 50 possibilities off the top of my head so it would help to know a little bit more what you like. that's a really easy song to pair something up with.

oh and just to throw this in, my favorite eurythmics song is still "missionary man". either that or the one from...i think the 9 1/2 weeks soundtrack..."this city never sleeps". annie was my very first adolescent celebrity crush. rawr.

Blade
03-01-2005, 08:33 AM
i think the 9 1/2 weeks soundtrack..."this city never sleeps". annie was my very first adolescent celebrity crush. rawr.
track number 8 to be exact

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
thank you mister blade. that cd is suspiciously missing from my work stuff. i didnt play it all that much, since most of the good tunes are crazy slow, but i miss it. i liked the john taylor song too. i'll hit ebay for a cheap copy.

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 08:42 AM
ha....1.99 on ebay. score!

BigGreenMnM
03-01-2005, 09:00 AM
If your looking for more Eurythmics to play,and you dont want to play the same ole ones over and over again,they have a song called Love is a Stranger that makes a great stage song.

krys
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
as for stuff to go with "sweet dreams"...wow, there's a plethora of groovy 80's/new wave songs that would go with it nicely. do you like anything else from that era?i can literally think of about 50 possibilities off the top of my head so it would help to know a little bit more what you like. that's a really easy song to pair something up with.

Enlighten me :)

I like 80s remixes too ... time after time, send me an angel etc etc....

I like a bit of rock (dirty deeds ac/dc) I find all that stuff gets the crowd going.

I am not one to play 3 songs from the same group/person in a row though, thats one of my pet peeves!

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
well, let's see. there is a breakbeat dancey mix of "sweet dreams" redone by...i THINK DJ Infiniti that i picked up years ago in Florida. i have an excellent trance mix of "send me an angel". i'm trying to think other normal non-remix 80's tunes though. (and for the record, i dislike "rock block" sets of 3 songs by the same artist as well, so we'll avoid that.)

-first thing i thought of was corey hart's "sunglasses at night" has a very similar synth line and mixes with sweet dreams incredibly well. (there's also several good breakbeat versions of this.) a little corny, yeah...but hey. all you need is sunglasses and voila, instant costume.

-i guess the next question should be: are you going for any kind of theme or special outfit, or just want songs that go with it? if not, you really have carte blanche with 80's pop songs....there are so many.

-i would probably avoid doing eurythmics into ac/dc, though it can be done. there's a great club mix of their "shook me all night long", and then perhaps use some other 80's mixes with it. that might make the transition flow a wee bit smoother. i dont know if you have the ability to get your hands on some of these mixes down under, but give it a shot. if not, i could probably burn you a cd or send you some mp3's online or something. :headphone

krys
03-01-2005, 05:26 PM
well, let's see. there is a breakbeat dancey mix of "sweet dreams" redone by...i THINK DJ Infiniti that i picked up years ago in Florida. i have an excellent trance mix of "send me an angel". i'm trying to think other normal non-remix 80's tunes though. (and for the record, i dislike "rock block" sets of 3 songs by the same artist as well, so we'll avoid that.)

-first thing i thought of was corey hart's "sunglasses at night" has a very similar synth line and mixes with sweet dreams incredibly well. (there's also several good breakbeat versions of this.) a little corny, yeah...but hey. all you need is sunglasses and voila, instant costume.

-i guess the next question should be: are you going for any kind of theme or special outfit, or just want songs that go with it? if not, you really have carte blanche with 80's pop songs....there are so many.

-i would probably avoid doing eurythmics into ac/dc, though it can be done. there's a great club mix of their "shook me all night long", and then perhaps use some other 80's mixes with it. that might make the transition flow a wee bit smoother. i dont know if you have the ability to get your hands on some of these mixes down under, but give it a shot. if not, i could probably burn you a cd or send you some mp3's online or something. :headphone

WOW thanks so much Mr C!

No theme... just getting naked to music; standard stuff ;) Sweet Dreams is my fav at the mo.

I am off to work soon so I will check on the ones you recommended on my return.

I am actually living in Toronto (Canada) at the mo, so should be able to find the songs, or at the very least find the files.

Catch you soon, thanks again

k

MrChristopher
03-01-2005, 05:35 PM
:hat: anytime, ma'am.

ChadW
03-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Try "Atomic" by Blondie, "Sex Crime (1984)" also by Eurythmics, and on a limb, "Things that dreams are made of" or other songs from the "Dare" cd by The Human League.

Sitri
03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
If you want to go with a querky them
Missionary Man
Son of a preacher man

krys
03-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Thanks heaps guys.. this is my first post here in the music mix and it has been very helpful :)

I am just loading some songs now, you guys rock!!! :)

Djoser
03-02-2005, 02:50 AM
"Human", by The Human League, is hot...

I am working on a serious deadline right now--I shouldn't even be here, lol--so will have to come back later with more.

kitana
03-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Well if you want to do a remake of the same song, try Manson's version.

I do that one and pair it with his version of "I put a spell on you".

They mesh really well together.

Kitana

krys
03-02-2005, 08:29 AM
My esteemed colleague Katrine already mentioned one of the best possible songs to go with this--"Take Me to the River", by Annie Lennox (the lead singer for the Eurythmics). It was in another thread here.

From that same solo CD of hers--I forget the name, but I can find it, it's here somewhere, lol--there is also "Train in Vain", a remake of the excellent Clash song by that name. It's quite different from the Clash original, but good.

Who did the remake of "Train in Vain" I can't seem to find it on /:O

krys
03-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Oh I am loving the "Atomic" "don't you want me baby" and "I wear my sunglasses" suggestions... just listening to them now :)

I had no idea Human League song all those cool songs!!! (tainted love, obssession etc)

Djoser
03-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Oh I am loving the "Atomic" "don't you want me baby" and "I wear my sunglasses" suggestions... just listening to them now :)

I had no idea Human League song all those cool songs!!! (tainted love, obssession etc)

"Obsession" is actually by Animotion, and is a hot song for sure--perfect for stripping.

I am so fried right now from this drawing project that i can't remember who did the original "tainted Love", though i have it and have played it a zillion times. I know the redoubtable Mr. C will know!

If you like the other Human League songs, though, you gotta check out "Human"...

OK, back to work, i have to finish this drawing! If Mr.C and the others haven't given you more cool 80's track that would match, i'll do so late tonight...

krys
03-02-2005, 08:47 AM
"Obsession" is actually by Animotion, and is a hot song for sure--perfect for stripping....

Oh it come up under human league, will have to do another search.

I guess that's why you are the dj and I am the stripper ;)

If you like the other Human League songs, though, you gotta check out "Human"...

OK, back to work, i have to finish this drawing! If Mr.C and the others haven't given you more cool 80's track that would match, i'll do so late tonight...

Well check that one out now, thanks

Sirona
03-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I am so fried right now from this drawing project that i can't remember who did the original "tainted Love", though i have it and have played it a zillion times. I know the redoubtable Mr. C will know!

Wasn't it Soft Cell?

MrChristopher
03-02-2005, 10:22 AM
yup yup, the 80's version was by Soft Cell. It's actually a remake, but i dont recall who did it originally. there's a nifty long version of it that turns into the Supremes' "where did our love go?", too. and on the remix tip, there's breakbeat versions and a nifty club remix by Club 69 (Peter Rauhofer). and there's a slower spooky version of it by Coil. and the Manson version. it's been remade quite a lot.

Djoser
03-02-2005, 04:14 PM
...there's a nifty long version of it that turns into the Supremes' "where did our love go?", too. and on the remix tip, there's breakbeat versions and a nifty club remix by Club 69 (Peter Rauhofer). and there's a slower spooky version of it by Coil...

Most impressive, yet again, Mr.C...

Taylor
03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I love dancing to this song, and usually I'll pair it with Soft Cell's "tainted love"

ChadW
03-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I always have a good laugh when I do searches on the US shareware programs and see how people have catalogued so many UK bands incorrectly! To some ears, Tears for fears, Howard Jones, Human League and Soft Cell are all the same person it seems! ;D }:D

One of the latest Human League greatest hits cds (there seems to be a new one each year) came out with a bonus remix disc that you may find worthwhile getting your hands on. There were really cool mixes on there of "Open your heart" and "Sound of the crowd", among others.

krys
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
So I did a "Tainted Love" "I wear my Sunglasses" "Sweet Dreams" set and it ROCKED!!! Definately a keeper.

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone, looking forward to playing round with some other songs that have been mentioned :)

MrChristopher
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I always have a good laugh when I do searches on the US shareware programs and see how people have catalogued so many UK bands incorrectly! To some ears, Tears for fears, Howard Jones, Human League and Soft Cell are all the same person it seems! ;D }:D

oh this is so true. i've seen Soft Cell songs listed as being byThe Cure. the only one i have ever seen that actually made a bit of sense was Real Life's "Send me An Angel" was listed as Pet Shop Boys. and you know, listening to it, it DOES sound like Neil Tennant. the other day i saw Juice Newton's "Angel Of The Morning" listed as Joan Jett. heh. people are silly.

ChadW
03-04-2005, 06:30 PM
the only one i have ever seen that actually made a bit of sense was Real Life's "Send me An Angel" was listed as Pet Shop Boys. and you know, listening to it, it DOES sound like Neil Tennant.

I thought the exact same thing!

The other mistakes are however inexcusable and the perpertrators ought to be horsewhipped! ;D

Sirona
03-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey um, was the original Tainted Love done by Gloria Jones ???