PDA

View Full Version : Blues fest

kitana
03-04-2005, 05:12 AM
Djoser said he was going to start this thread and he hasen't yet, so I have taken it upon myself to start it for him.

So here goes, anyone out there (besides me) dance or play blues for stage shows? Who's your favorite blues singer/band?

My personal fav is got to be Cab Calloway. I just love the "Minnie the Moocher" song. I also very much enjoy damn near anything by B.B. King and Lucielle. And yes Djoser, I very much do like Stevie Ray Vaughn,LOL. I also like Johnny Lang, and of course W. C. Handy; founder of our local Blues Fest.

I also have this awesome cd called Mojo Mammas. It showcases some of Chi-town's best female blues singers. I reccommend #10, Maggie Burell's version of SRV's Pride and Joy.

Kitana

Djoser
03-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Kitana, sorry to be a slacker about this but I have been busting my ass designing a very large building complex for the last couple of days. Thank God that is done now, and thank you for starting this thread...

My all-time favorite blues song has to be "Walkin' Blues", by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee. These were partners, traveling all over the south back a while ago. I don't know the exact history, but I know that one of them was a cripple, and one of them was blind, and they apparently went through some shit in their travels. They joke about it in the song.

I wouldn't go out and download a bunch of their stuff, you might be disappointed in the rest of it, but this song has a very strong bass line, and it's an excellent dance track.

John Lee Hooker is pretty cool, too.

If you like the blues at all, you need to get this CD:

The London Howlin' Wolf Jam Sessions

This has the renowned Howlin' Wolf, naturally, who wore what has got to be the ultimate blues name with consummate ease.

He recorded this CD with these rock giants--just look at the line up here...Eric Clapton, Stevie Winwood, Ringo Starr, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.

I don't know about playing this in a stripclub, though, I lost my copy before I started DJing in them.

I will have to go through my stuff and find some that are without doubt good for club use.

Of course Stevie ray, and his brother Jimmie's band, the Thunderbirds, are always good. I also like some of the Led Zeppelin and ZZ Top blues oriented stuff. Anyone ever listened to the lyrics of "The Lemon Sing" (Led Zep), lol? I think Robert Johnson wrote that one, sometime before his girlfriend poisoned him.

Great thread, Kitana!

MrChristopher
03-04-2005, 06:28 PM
there's a more recent ZZ Top song called "Fearless Boogie" that phillydj turned me onto a few years ago. nice and grindy bluesy jam. i also have a boner for Buddy Guy's version of Hendrix's "Red House". most of the blues i really like i dont think i would play at work, but there are a few exceptions. and yeah, Howlin' Wolf is the mad mack daddy.