PDA

View Full Version : Reading Material

Pages : [1] 2

Nicolina
03-13-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm going to drag my mind out of the gutter for a moment.

There are a lot of really interesting and intelligent people posting on these boards. I'm curious--what are you all reading these days? Also, what are some of your ATF books--the ones you recommend to people whenever you get the chance?

Anything goes--fiction, non-fiction, even favorite periodicals.

I'll post my own recommendations in a little bit.

Thanks,

Nicolina

GenWar
03-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I am currently re-reading the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell Hamilton in anticipation of reading the new one, Incubus Dreams which I just got.

After that, I will probably pick up the "Blood" series by P.N. Elrod because I am in a "Vampire" kind of mood }:D

Also, I pick up "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart presents America the Book: A citizens guide to democracy inaction" at least once every couple of days. That book has me laughing to the point of tears.

Hey...you asked. ;D

Jay Zeno
03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
I haven't read much for pleasure, at least in terms of books, for about 10 years. Kinda depressing.

My all-time favorite books are probably "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

When I was in college, I was strangely affected by "When the Legends Die," by Hal Borland; "Siddhartha," by Herman Hesse; and "The Good Earth," by Pearl Buck.

"The Seven Pillars of Wisdom," by T.E. Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia), came highly recommended, and the imagery and passion exploded off the pages, but at the time, I just couldn't afford the time and attention to get through it.

Nicolina
03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I loved Zen and the Art of MM, Jay! Good book! Mockingbird, too.

I haven't read most of the others, but The Good Earth, in particular, has been on my list of stuff to read for a long time...

Jenny
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh, oh, oh. Based on what you have posted here you will love (in fact please allow me to capitalize LOVE) Mary Gaitskill. Critically, her short stories were better received, but I personally recommend her novel "Two Girls Fat and Thin". I truly believe that novel is a beautiful thing. Read it; I beg you. And then post what you think. Incidentally - Mary Gaitskill was a stripper back in the 1970's. Here in Toronto, as a matter of fact, even though I think she is from somewhere in the US Midwest. Don't worry - although she writes a great deal about sex workers (mostly hookers) she isn't at all precious about it (like no "oh look at me, look at me! Check out how counter-culture I am!!!)
Aother favourite is Barbara Gowdy - best known for "We So Seldom Look On Love", but I really loved "Mr. Sandman."
Also JT Leroy "Sarah" - there are no words for this. I actually emailed him afterwards and told him (although I know I just said there were no words) that his book had the same sweet, compulsive pain of sticking your tongue into a cavity. He said I probably needed to have my teeth examined. Once you pile on top of that the fact that he was 19 when he wrote it, it just kills you. Like, by the time he is forty he will just DESTROY Vonnegut in a literary arm wrestle. Like in the remake of "The Fly" where the one guy breaks the other guys arm? Except metaphorically.
Finally, Anne Marie MacDonald "Fall On You Knees" - if you do not cry at some point you are inhuman. You are probably one of David Icke's lizard-aliens and must be destroyed.
These are recent-contemperary-fiction picks. I read a lot.

Nicolina
03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
As a matter of fact, I DO love Mary Gaitskill, Jenny (though I haven't actually read "Two Girls" in its entirety.) I loved Bad Behavior, though (read it when it first came out.) Thanks, that was a pretty thoughtful recommendation! Thanks for the others as well...I'll check them out. I was hoping you'd post in this thread. Any non-fiction suggestions?
-Nic

Casual Observer
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Currently reading Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Succeed or Fail.

Nicolina
03-13-2005, 07:48 PM
CO, I love Jared Diamond. He rocks! I just finally read Guns, Germs & Steel this past summer. Great book! I highly recommend.

Katrine
03-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Currently reading Kinky Friedman "Kill two Bird and Get Stoned". So far I'm not that impressed. I've read everything he has written and I kind of like that it all the same. These characters aren't very likeable so far.

Susan Wayward
03-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Finally getting around to Everything is Illuminated (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060529709/qid=1110783139/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2306796-8336163?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) which is highly entertaining. Hee, Elijah Wood, who is starring in the film version, was in my elevator this morning.

Just finished off Sewer, Gas and Electric (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802141552/qid=1110783176/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2306796-8336163) which I preferred to Fool on the Hill (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802135358/qid=1110783208/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-2306796-8336163?v=glance&s=books). Neither of those are as good as Set This House in Order (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/006095485X/qid=1110783208/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2306796-8336163?v=glance&s=books), though.

I also just read about thirty Doonesbury paperback collections my man unearthed after we moved. Good times.

Nicolina
03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
OK, here are some of mine:

Currently reading:
*The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution - Richard Dawkins

Here are some ATF's:

Fiction:
***LOLITA*** The Ultimate. Nabokov's lovesong to the English language.
**Giovanni's Room- James Baldwin. Also Another Country.
**Cannery Row- my favorite Steinbeck. East of Eden is good too, of course.
**Song of Solomon-and anything else by Toni Morrison
*Einstein's Dreams-Alan Lightman
*Almanac of the Dead - Leslie Marmon Silko. Difficult, but worth it.
* Tracks and Love Medicine and anything else by Louise Erdrich
*The Book of Laughter and Forgetting -Milan Kundera (I liked it better than the Unbearable Lightness of Being)
*Their Eyes Were Watching God*-Zora Neale Hurston
*Play It As It Lays; A Book of Common Prayer - Joan Didion
*Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
(of course: Crime and Punishment.)

Non-Fiction/Essay/Memoir:

*Iron and Silk - Mark Salzman (a must for anyone interested in martial arts or Chinese culture)
*Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (This is a highly entertaining read. I think professional chefs are the male equivalent of strippers in terms of sensibilities and lifestyle choices.)
*Strip City-Lily Burana (kind of like one long NATO report for you SCJs who haven't read it.)
*The Education of Little Tree - Forrest Carter
**The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinctions - David Quammen
*Slouching Toward Bethlehem, and other Didion essays
*The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language - Steven Pinker
*The Beak of the Finch - Jonathan Weiner (evolution in action.)
***Naked - David Sedaris. All his stuff is great.
Travelling Mercies - Anne Lamott
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
The Man Who Ate Everything - Jeffrey Steingarten

Poems: Dogs in Lingerie , by Danielle Willis. She worked in the Industry. I think most of the girls who post here would get it.

Katrine
03-14-2005, 04:42 PM
**Cannery Row- my favorite Steinbeck. East of Eden is good too, of course.
*The Book of Laughter and Forgetting -Milan Kundera (I liked it better than the Unbearable Lightness of Being)
*Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (This is a highly entertaining read. I think professional chefs are the male equivalent of strippers in terms of sensibilities and lifestyle choices.)

These are some of my favorites too!! I totally have a chef fetish!

My ATF favorite classic is Brave New World.

Jenny
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
My favourite classic is "Villette" by Bronte (I know, I really NEED to be a librarian; I just need to get me a cat and some glasses and grow my hair long enough to wear up in a bun. I would, seriously, make such an awesome librarian). I remember in college when I disgusted many of my classmates in suggesting that Emma and Harriet (in "Emma") were sexually involved (like I was the first person to come up with THAT theory) and that Lucy Snowe was a voyeur same-sex predilictions.

mark45y
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
James Joyce, A portrait of an artist as young man, Ulysses, Finnegans Wake.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth

The Q letters

Wolf Electric Kool aid acid test

Baldwin Giovanni’s Room

la rousse gastronomique

Vonnegut’s Cat's Cradle,

The Professional Chef, 4th edition.

aggieed
03-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Gee...guess my recreational reading really isn't all that enlightening since I read mostly the mainstream stuff: Clancy, Grisham, Eddings, Crichton, Cussler, etc. Although, I have found myself a little bored with some of these guys' most recent work (except for Crichton...read both of his last two books in a day). I need to find some alternatives, I guess.

FBR
03-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Damn, you guys are way over my head. I read so much serious stuff at work, when I read for pleasure its escapism.

I love all the JD Robb books (Nora Roberts). Ive read about 20 of them but I anxiously await the next. I recently dusted off some '80's vintage Conan books by various authors. Conan's simplistic way of dealing with women is food for thought for a junkie LOL Plus he kicks ass against demons, warlocks etc. Jeff Schirra (sp?) wrote two historical fiction books about the American Revolution which were awesome. I read those when I was feeling serious :P

FBR

doc-catfish
03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Being an English major, you'd think I would read more, but I way more into the composition aspect of it than the literary part.

But my three favorite novels:

J.D. Salinger - "The Catcher In The Rye"
Douglas Adams - "Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy"
Robert Heinlein - "Stranger In A Strange Land"

Favorite short story:

Shirley Jackson - "The Lottery"

Other than that, I just read how to books, magazine articles, and the newspaper a lot. Either online or at the library.

Richard_Head
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Damn, when do you all find the time.

I don't know that I have any favorite books, lots of authors I like though, most of it pretty mainstream, people like Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Carl Hiaason, and W.E.B. Griffin.

Last book I read was "Skin City" by Jack Sheehan, it's about the Las Vegas sex industry. Pretty good read as I enjoy Vegas, nothing real shocking about it though.

As for short stories, MW writes a great TR, and Kat writes a pretty entertaining NATO report.

Jay Zeno
03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I loved Zen and the Art of MM, Jay! Good book! Mockingbird, too.
In varying ways, those books changed my life. I guess that qualifies for making the top of one's personal list.

Nicolina
03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
These are some of my favorites too!! I totally have a chef fetish!

You are just too cute for words, Kat :).

Nicolina
03-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Damn, when do you all find the time.

RH, didn't you know? That's what we strippers do with all our free time OTC. We read really good books :).

merely_lurking
03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm currently reading Bob Dylan's Chronicles Vol. I and am enjoying it a lot.

merely_lurking
03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
RH, didn't you know? That's what we strippers do with all our free time OTC. We read really good books :).
What? Are you telling me that strippers aren't 24-hour-a-day around the clock sex vixens? I knew I shouldn't be reading these web sites. :P

Jenny
03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey - I am betting that these ladies are very sexy when they read.

Nicolina
03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Y'know Jenny, a lot of guys have a librarian fetish, I've found. On the rare occasion that I'd wear my glasses in the club, I'd always have a number of drooling guys tell me that I looked like a librarian and it was making them hot /:O

Chicagoeditor
03-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Y'know Jenny, a lot of guys have a librarian fetish, I've found. On the rare occasion that I'd wear my glasses in the club, I'd always have a number of drooling guys tell me that I looked like a librarian and it was making them hot /:O

Nicolina,
based on your extensive reading list above I'd say the "librarian act" is pretty close to real, in your case. As you could have guessed: I'm bowled over by intelligent AND sexy dancers. Ultimately, the mind is what holds one's interest after those first few weeks of mind-blowing sex }:D.

I'm currently re-reading--on my Pocket PC of all places--"The Importance of Being Earnest" by Wilde. There are some laugh-out-loud scenes--though the end of the 2nd act should have been re-worked, in my opinion. I may go rent one of the recent movie versions.

Nicolina
03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Nicolina,
based on your extensive reading list above I'd say the "librarian act" is pretty close to real, in your case.

Oops...busted ;). I tried so hard to hide it at work, though...except with certain guys who could handle it.

As you could have guessed: I'm bowled over by intelligent AND sexy dancers.
I know, don't smart strippers rock? There's so many of them on this board, too. That's one reason why I love it here :)

Ultimately, the mind is what holds one's interest after those first few weeks of mind-blowing sex

I think the mind is what KEEPS the sex mind-blowing...that is, if the mind is dirty enough ;D

I haven't read much Wilde, Chicago...not anytime recently, anyway (maybe back in HS, when I probably didn't get it.)

Actually, libraries sometimes kinda turn me on. This is really weird, I know...but sometimes, when I'm back in the stacks surrounded by that musty-sweet book smell and the only sound is the low hum of the ventilation system, and I'm supposed to be thinking scholarly thoughts...my mind gets to wandering interesting places. I once got so worked up I had to sneak into this little out-of-the-way private bathroom in the Mount Holyoke library and get myself off :O

Well, there it goes back into the gutter again ::) . See, this is why I say I'm not a "normal" :-\

Casual Observer
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, there it goes back into the gutter again . See, this is why I say I'm not a "normal"

Bless you for that.

:)

gdamadg
03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Currently reading "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Before that I read "Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda" by LGen. Romeo Dallaire and "Cryptonomicom" by Neal Stephenson. And monthly copies of "WIRED" magazine. And news online, multiple sites.

Nicolina
03-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Bless you for that.

:)

Thanks, CO :)

(hey, didja miss me?)

kymchoon
03-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I am currently re-reading the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell Hamilton in anticipation of reading the new one, Incubus Dreams which I just got.

Say what? It's out? *runs down to the bookstore* Although I vastly prefer the earlier books in the series to the latest ones. What's with all the Mill & Boon-eske stuff lately? Less sex and plotlines that revolve around sex, dammit!

Others too numerous to mention, although 80% of it in the Sci Fi/Fantasy genre. I have a bad habit of reading half a dozen books at a time. I'm with FBR here, by the time I get home from work I don't want to read anything that requires me to use my brain too much.

And glasses on a sexy woman are hot.}:D Don't ask me why. Maybe, like the schoolgirl thing (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I see the attraction) it takes us back to our school days when we all wanted to nail the smokin' teacher/librarian.

Chicagoeditor
03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Actually, libraries sometimes kinda turn me on. This is really weird, I know...but sometimes, when I'm back in the stacks surrounded by that musty-sweet book smell and the only sound is the low hum of the ventilation system, and I'm supposed to be thinking scholarly thoughts...my mind gets to wandering interesting places. I once got so worked up I had to sneak into this little out-of-the-way private bathroom in the Mount Holyoke library and get myself off :O

Nic,
Remind me to tell you about the afternoon I spent in a library with an extremely sexy and adventurous woman I know locally. The thing that stunned me was how empty a suburban library can be in the middle of the day, and how much can occur against the stacks (we never even considered trying a bathroom or a small room on the research floor). :) Five years later and this friend still teases me about our "one trip to the library." I still enjoy the memory very much.

Chicagoeditor
03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Not sure why this just jumped into my head, but if anyone wants a great read, check out "Devil in the White City." Not only is it about real events--a serial killer who stalked the magical Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, nicknamed the “White City” for its majestic beauty--it'll teach you tons about Chicago's world-famous architecture.

aussiepunkshocker
11-02-2005, 04:08 AM
I am currently hooked on Bill Brysons travel books - my whole family is, they are so f+cking funny! If you were a fly on my wall earlier tonight you would see my Mum, my son and me all laughing way at a different one of his books. Not your average travel book, lol!

DB Cooper
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Funny you mentioned Bryson, I'm reading "In A Sunburned Country" right now. And you're from Australia (cue the Twilight Zone theme).

I've read all his travel books , really good stuff. Try his "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Katrine
11-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm reading Candace Bushnell's new one, "Lipstick Jungle". She's of "Sex and the City Fame". Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, its a guilty pleasure since I don't watch tv, but I need some entertrashment!

Also, picked up "The Vintage Book of Amnesia" an anthology of writing about memory loss. It has vignettes by authors I dig such as Borges, Amis, Dick, Nabokov. Well, I'm not a huge fan of Nabokov, but everyone assumes that I am because of the russian thing. I've been given copies of "Lolita" at least 3 other times.

Susan Wayward
11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Just finished Anansi Boys (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=184ugLTCLG&isbn=006051518X&itm=1) which was OK; now on to Another Bullshit Night in Suck City (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=184ugLTCLG&isbn=0393051390&itm=2).

lunchbox
11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0375725784&itm=1)

aussiepunkshocker
11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Funny you mentioned Bryson, I'm reading "In A Sunburned Country" right now. And you're from Australia (cue the Twilight Zone theme).

I've read all his travel books , really good stuff. Try his "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I've started A Short History Of nearly Everything - I love it! I'm reading his other books inbetween because it's alot to take in and I'm usually pretty sleepy when I start reading so the travel books are abit lighter. I loved A Sunburnt Country - learnt a few things too - I had no idea we had the worlds largest earth worms over here for instance!

Tiff_7_17
11-07-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm reading Candace Bushnell's new one, "Lipstick Jungle". She's of "Sex and the City Fame". Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, its a guilty pleasure since I don't watch tv, but I need some entertrashment!.

I'm reading her "Trading Up" right now...it IS guilty pleasure <I don't have tv either> and they ARE pretty terrible books...but don't require thinking, so I like that. I rationalized: Sure, I could be reading something thought provoking and dense, but OH WAIT, I do that all day at school :D

How is "Lipstick Jungle", anyways? I've been wondering.

Moneywise
11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm reading Jose Canseco's Juiced (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060746408/102-9914514-4952945?v=glance). I just thought I would chime in here. ;D

Katrine
11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Mmmmm......Canseco.....fucking hotness right there!!! I saw him on an episode of that reality show he was on at my friend's house.....he took off his shirt and my panties were ruined. ;)

Omidog, check out his ex-wife!!!
http://www.lettherebeporn.com/galleries/canseco2/009.jpg

Killer body....

SportsWriter2
11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Mmmmm......Canseco.....fucking hotness right there!!! I saw him on an episode of that reality show he was on at my friend's house.....he took off his shirt and my panties were ruined. ;)
You could probably have him for a small bag of pills. ;)

I'm reading Jessica Canseco's Juicy. This is a story for every woman who has ever fallen for the wrong man. :O

Katrine
11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
You could probably have him for a small bag of pills. ;)

I'm reading Jessica Canseco's Juicy. This is a story for every woman who has ever fallen for the wrong man. :O

I'll pass, he's just man candy, I don't have a desire to fuck him, aka the fundamental difference between men and women. I'd be interested in reading Juicy although I don't see how I would have much in common with an all-american cheerleader type like Jessica. :-\

MishaBliss
11-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Has anyone read 'Strip City' by Lily Burana? Is it any good. I've been wanting to read it for a while.
'Shantaram' is a brilliant book. A non-fiction account of one man's journey from an escape out of a Melbourne prison to the streets of India and a whole lot more. I don't want to give too much away, it's too good! It's a long one, very engaging.
I'm currently reading Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons'.

Katrine
11-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Has anyone read 'Strip City' by Lily Burana? Is it any good. I've been wanting to read it for a while.

Yes, its pretty good. Sometimes she can be a bit prissy, but she writes well and has some funny, and some sad, stories to tell.

confession
12-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Hey, good thread! I've added some of the suggestions to my list.

Here's mine:

Break, Blow, Burn --Camille Paglia

I don't agree with everything Paglia says, but this book isn't as theoretical as others, it focuses on interpretations of what she calls the world's 43 best poems. So far, so good.

The Philosophy of Sex--Alan Soble

Opposing viewpoints on sexual issues including perversion, abortion, homosexuality, Kant, pornography, etc. No matter what side of the issue you're on, you'll find something to disagree with, my kind of reading!

Anger: Wisdom for Colling the Flames--Thich Nhat Hanh

My favorite monk! Meditations and ways to deal with anger.

I have read "Strip City." I thought it was okay but somewhat of a limited perspective. It could have been more theoretical, but I like theory, so maybe that's why I found it to be sastisfactory, but intellectually shallow.

Downey_Guy
01-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm impressed by the comments on here! It blows away sterotypes people have of strippers.

Let me put my two cents in on this discussion. I just finished reading "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman and I'm telling you, it's one the most amazing fantasy novels you could ever want to read. It's all about a young girl who's a orphan being raised at Oxford in a alertanate universe who's tangled into a plot to overthrow heaven. Enough said. Very smart book.

Susan Wayward
01-05-2006, 02:13 AM
^^^ good essay/interview with Pullman in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago. I envy that you still have the rest of the trilogy to complete. I'm waiting for his next.

dayzed
06-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Also JT Leroy "Sarah" - there are no words for this. I actually emailed him afterwards and told him (although I know I just said there were no words) that his book had the same sweet, compulsive pain of sticking your tongue into a cavity. He said I probably needed to have my teeth examined. Once you pile on top of that the fact that he was 19 when he wrote it, it just kills you. Like, by the time he is forty he will just DESTROY Vonnegut in a literary arm wrestle.
Ha... sometimes you unearth a nugget in an old thread. As the Internet geeks like to say: "Pwned!"

Re: the Pullman... If I ever had a daughter, her name would be Lyra. (I would also love to take Ms. Coulter as a mistress but that's probably less likely.)

I've been such a fiend for graphic novels recently that I haven't been reading as many (proper) books as I should. Recently reads include No Country for Old Men (a little tame and therefore disappointing compared to McCarthy's earlier works, especially all-time fave Suttree) and Tipping Point (insightful and enjoyable, but as one who finds American pop culture somewhat insufferable the constant spectroscoping of the American cultural landscape gets tiresome).

There are a lot of interesting people on both sides here so I'm sure there must be a more avid readership than is reflected in this brief thread, no?