PDA

View Full Version : Best VHS to DVD recorder

Hello~Kitty
04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I have both dvd and vhs and a player for each but I want to copy all my vhs tapes onto dvd. I looking to buy a new piece of equipment for the 2nd TV so I was wondering....
can some of you techwiz's recommend a mid priced product for me that will let me copy my vhs to dvd + record tv shows. I have a mostly Sony system in one room and JVC in the other if that helps.

Thanks guys :-*

Hello~Kitty
04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
No one wants to help the Kitty huh ?

lol

maybe a pic will inspire some advice !

polecat
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Hiyas Hello_Kitty,

This is more difficult than most people would assume.. mainly because most VHS tapes carry with them a thing called Macrovision. Macrovision is a signal along with the video that prevents copying of the tape. If you purchase a standard DVD recorder, most all VHS tapes you will try to copy will come out all scrambled or with a big white box across the middle so you can't see them. Home movies shot with a camcorder and such- no problem. TV Shows and movie VHS tapes? Macrovision!

If you are planning on converting, you'll need any number of special things:
1) a "hacked" VCR that has been modified internally to defeat the Macrovision signal.
2) a "hacked" DVD recorder that has been modified internally to do the same.
3) a 'signal stabilizer'- which is a kinda pricey device you put between the VCR <-> DVD recorder in order to filter out the Macrovision signal.
example ->
http://www.facetvideo.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=83

Once you have found a way to remove Macrovision copy-protection from your VHS library, it's as simple as purchasing any home dvd-recorder.