PDA

View Full Version : How do strip clubs work in the US?

Neville
08-11-2005, 09:40 PM
This is my first post here. I've recently moved to the Boston in the US and would like to indulge a pastime that I picked up while on a backpacking holiday in Australia, visiting strip clubs (I am from the UK originally but didnt visit strip clubs much there). Im hoping this site will assist me in getting a better understanding of how strip clubs work in the US.

One of the girls in Sydney told me that the whole strip club scene in the US is different to what it is in Australia and England. In Sydney it is all strictly striptease, no touching or lapdancing at all. In Melbourne they do lapdancing with only the dancer able to initiate contact. Im not sure about other places as I didnt get the chance to visit strip clubs much in Brisbane or Adelaide. As for the UK I went to a few strip clubs in London once and they are quite similar to Australia. Lapdances are very uncommon as the dancers are more likely to dance for you at your table than on your lap.

I have no problem with any of this, in fact I enjoy the striptease aspect of strip clubs, watching beautiful women take their clothes off. Whether they touch me or not is not really a big deal to me. If I had to choose between nudity and contact Id probably go for nudity, though nudity and contact would be nice! Im not a groper though, more than happy to sit on my hands like they make you do in Melbourne.

But I heard that in the US its all different, theres all this stuff about different levels of contact and it seems as though theres hardly any stage shows, theyre all lap dances and high contact at that. Its a bit intimidating reading through some of the threads here as I'm not sure how to behave or what to expect when I drop in to one. I have the following questions I was hopeing someone could answer for me:

- what is the whole deal with lapdances and contact and such. I assume an airdance is a dance where there is no contact?
- how much is the average price for a lapdance and how much should I tip as a % of this? how long does the show last?
- do i have to specify lapdance or private show?
- are stage shows full nudity or do you have to pay for full nudity
- am I allowed to stand around and just watch stage shows for a while so that I understand how it all works or will i offend someone doing this
- what is a champagne room and how does it work
- am I likely to get ripped off if I walk into a club without knowing the protocols, prices, etc and just ask one of the dancers or bar staff
- any good classy (as in not seedy) clubs in or near boston that anyone recommends?

I realise Im the customer but I dont like offending dancers in a club I may end up wanting to spend time in simply because I didnt know the protocols. In Sydney (where I first started going) it was fairly easy to sit in some obscure corner (not up to where the podiums were) and work out how the system worked before deciding what I wanted to do. I normally spend up to $800-$1000 per night when I visit (with no lapdances) but I don't like spending money if I don't understand how it all works, that's just annoying. So I hope someone could respond with some answers as Id hate to walk into a strip club and end up either spending nothing because I just want to check the place out first and pissing every dancer there off as a consequence or ending up getting a couple of lapdances and ending up spending a fortune without planning to. Spending a fortune when you know how it works is a different story though!

Any assistance would be appreciated...I'm hoping to visit one of these clubs in a couple of weeks when Im a bit more settled and would love some feedback by then...

Cheers, Neville

Neville
08-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Any feedback from anyone? Or did I post it in the wrong place?

Cheers, Neville

empelo
08-13-2005, 01:06 AM
I have the following questions I was hopeing someone could answer for me: (numbers added by empelo to identify the questions)

1- what is the whole deal with lapdances and contact and such. I assume an airdance is a dance where there is no contact?
2- how much is the average price for a lapdance and how much should I tip as a % of this? how long does the show last?
3- do i have to specify lapdance or private show?
4- are stage shows full nudity or do you have to pay for full nudity
5- am I allowed to stand around and just watch stage shows for a while so that I understand how it all works or will i offend someone doing this
6- what is a champagne room and how does it work
7- am I likely to get ripped off if I walk into a club without knowing the protocols, prices, etc and just ask one of the dancers or bar staff
8- any good classy (as in not seedy) clubs in or near boston that anyone recommends?I don't know about Boston, but here are some answers based on my LA experience.

1. You are right about air dances. Lap dances are by default contact dances.

2. Varies a lot. Look up the thread about the most and least paid for a lap dance.

3. Lap dance is standard terminology.

4. In nude clubs, stage shows are fully nude. You are expected to tip the dancer if you sit at the front row of the stage ("tip rail").

5. A variation of VIP rooms where high rollers get special treatment for lots of $$.

6. Standing may be awkward, but you can sit and stare to your heart's content.

7. depends on the club, but generally ripoffs are not commonplace. Ask about the dance prices and keep track of how many dances you got.

8. I'll leave that to the Boston experts.

BTW, I suspect people's reluctance to answer your post was because the questions are so basic that some minimal research may be the best way to find your answers.

Neville
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Cheers for your detailed reply Empelo. Im a bit of a newbie at this, but Im getting the hang of using the search function and hopefully I'll be able to find out a bit more about it. I noticed there was a Review Page for clubs and have been reading it.

SportsWriter2
08-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Neville, forget Boston. Forget Massachusetts. Drive down I-95 to Providence, RI. Try the three best clubs: Desire $20 topless, Cadillac $25, Fantasies $30 (2for1 Mon and Tue afternoons).

Nude, high contact, cookie on willy dances. You'll find pretty girls who let you touch anywhere if you're a non-judgmental fun guy. :D

Tip: Ask for topless dances, not nude. Tell them you never get nude dances, because you don't want your pants wet when other girls chew on them. During the dance, ask if she shaves completely, and she'll probably pull her G aside to show you (and let you feel how smooth it is). :)

PM me and I'll give you more detailed recommendations. If you drink, you have to bring your own booze to Cadillac.

Neville
08-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Cheers Sportswriter. I haven't actually been anywhere in Massachussetts yet but was reading some of the reviews and which indicated that Rhode Island was better to visit. Hopefully it's not too far from Boston, I'm not quite up to speed on my geography yet. I suppose topless dances are less expensive than nude dances? And an important question - what range do I tip in? I realise that the value is dependent on the quality of service, but is there a general range to stay within, as a rule?

Is it normal for places to not serve alcohol? I don't know if I could spend time in one and not have a drink to loosen myself up a wee bit.

I will PM you mate with some more recommentations if it's not too much trouble for you. I appreciate everyone's patience with my questions!

Richard_Head
08-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the U.S. and SCJ. What makes your questions so hard to answer is that clubs in the U.S. can have different rules from club to club, city to city, region to region, there is not one set of rules that applies to all clubs in the U.S. My suggestion, if you have questions always ask up front (a waitress or a bouncer/doorman is usually a good place to start). As for tipping, it's not a requirement, tip what you're comfortable with. Let us know how things turn out (TR???).

CrescentLuna
08-13-2005, 11:37 PM
- what is the whole deal with lapdances and contact and such. I assume an airdance is a dance where there is no contact?

Varies upon the place, Boston I'm pretty sure if dancing several feet away to toplessness. RI, an hour or two away, has nude dancing. not sure if this is only stage though. Most US places don't allow nude dancing and alcohol, one or the other.
Oh, yeah, air dance does mean no contact. Also called table dances. Sometimes it just means the dancer is not grinding on your lap, but she can touch you and you can touch her.
Contact varies club to club, and sometimes dancer to dancer. The club I work at now you can touch anything except the thong and what is underneath. And no kissing. Just ask the dancer if touching is allowed/okay with her, and if so, where.

- how much is the average price for a lapdance and how much should I tip as a % of this? how long does the show last?

$10-30 for a dance. In FL I did nude table-side dances for $10, with non-naughty-parts-touching. In MD a one-way contact bikini dance was $30. In PA a one-way contact nude dance was $40. I'd say if you /want/ to tip, ask what percentage the house takes and make up for it [ex. if the dance costs $20 and the house takes $5, tip $5]. If the house doesn't take a cut, at least $5. Don't get talked into tipping upfront or tipping if you did not enjoy the dance.

- do i have to specify lapdance or private show?

I haven't heard of a club that calls them private shows, the terms I've heard are: lapdance, couch dance, VIP dance, private dance. Some places do have different types of dances or time allotments, and feel free to ask about them - ex. when I was in Florida you could have a table-side dance on the floor for $10, in the VIP area [slightly more private] for $20, or go into a room for half an hour for upwards of $220.

- are stage shows full nudity or do you have to pay for full nudity

Varies, a few places/dancers ask to be tipped a certain amount on stage before they'll get nude, other places it is required regardless of tips/patrons. Odds are if the place you're at serves alcohol, though, the stage show will only be topless.

- am I allowed to stand around and just watch stage shows for a while so that I understand how it all works or will i offend someone doing this

Oh darling, don't get frightened by our complaining on the pink side. At my newest club [ny] it is required that we don't approach customer until they've seen at least one stage show, preferrably two. If a dancer approaches and you aren't ready to buy anything, you have two options:
1. "I'm not interested, sorry."
2. "I'm still getting used to this place, check back later, all right?"
If you are like "oh my god I definitely want to spend money on her after I've had a drink or two" you can tip her. A note, if it is busy you may not see her again.
Oh, yeah, sitting will probably be more comfortable than standing.

- what is a champagne room and how does it work

Usually, you pay a sum or buy a bottle of champagne [$100+] upfront for a set amount of time [15 minutes to an hour] instead of paying by song or two. Prices vary depending on clubs, some are good deals and some are rip-offs. Always ask and make sure of pricing before hand - for example, in Florida the price of the room did not include a dancer, so if you wanted a dancer in the room the price more than doubled.

- am I likely to get ripped off if I walk into a club without knowing the protocols, prices, etc and just ask one of the dancers or bar staff

Being honest to a fault as a dancer, I'd say you're safe! ;) Honestly, though, I don't think it very likely. Don't get completely sloshed and get the facts about the club straight [for example, if dancer tells you the dances are X price, confirm with the bouncer] if you think something is fishy.

As for the last question, really can't help as I don't live in Boston myself.

Neville
08-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Thank you very much for an extremely comprehensive reply CrescentLuna. My mind has been eased somewhat. I always like to have at least a general understanding of how things work before I try something new as it makes it easier for me to fill the blanks when I get there. I'm not uncomfortable being in strip clubs by any means, but there seems to be a much more strict protocol here in the US which I did not wish to violate. Hence my discomfort, but your replies have given me a bit more clarity, so thank you.

Just a few points regarding your replies above. The term "private show" is used in clubs in Sydney to request a "full show with nudity" in a private room as the dancers are not allowed to be fully nude on the podiums. I assume that in a "nude club" in the US this means that the dancers are allowed to be nude on podiums? And re the contact, I think I'll play it safe and just not engage in contact unless someone engages me in such until I understand how it works - I wouldn't want to get thrown out of the first club I visited.

Final point on the champagne room - so the only different thing about it is that you pay for a fixed period of time instead of extending by song. This is probably more similar to the "private show" concept in Sydney where you book time in 15 minute blocks, except you don't have to buy champagne.

Final final question - I read here somewhere that there are a lot of people to tip in a strip club in the US. I know I have to tip bar staff (we do it too in England) but I have to tip the DJ, bouncers, etc?

Cheers, Neville

SportsWriter2
08-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Final point on the champagne room - so the only different thing about it is that you pay for a fixed period of time instead of extending by song. This is probably more similar to the "private show" concept in Sydney where you book time in 15 minute blocks, except you don't have to buy champagne.
Desire and Fantasies offer 15-minute blocks in booths that have saloon doors, and both give you one drink with the room (get it after). Desire also has a separate champagne room with 60-minute blocks.

I read here somewhere that there are a lot of people to tip in a strip club in the US. I know I have to tip bar staff (we do it too in England) but I have to tip the DJ, bouncers, etc?
Tip the bouncer who runs the booths an extra five every time. Tip the waitress 20% or the bartender if you get the drink at the bar. I generally don't tip dancers, because they're already making $20 in 3-4 minutes.

CrescentLuna
08-14-2005, 05:26 PM
re: nudity
It varies depending on club, the club I was at in MD we could only be nude while on a stage/podium, whereas in PA we were on your lap!

re: champagne rooms
I've also only been at one club that made you buy champagne, at the others it was either no drinks or including some. Sometimes there are more enjoyable things, such as at the MD club, a lapdance was bikini, one-way contact and $30/one song. The champagne was $150/half hour, $50 worth of drinks for free, topless two-way contact and a stage if you wanted to watch a nude dance. Whereas in Florida, the champagne room was slightly more secluded and much more expensive.

It depends on how "upscale" the type of club you are at is, as to how many people to tip. When I worked at Scores, you were expected to tip the guy at the door, waitress, champagne host if you went there, valet and bathroom attendant. At the club I'm at now, well, you can tip the DJ/door guy/juice bartender if you really want.

Neville
09-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the late response, my cable connection was getting connected. Now that I've settled into Boston, bought my furniture, a car, and all that I reckon I'm ready to give Providence a go - I hope I don't get lost as my map only covers Metro Boston. Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll visit Club Desire tomorrow night and will let you all know how I go (I hope I don't forget to tip someone I'm supposed to tip)

Cheers,Nev

Richard_Head
09-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I hope I don't get lost as my map only covers Metro Boston.www.mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com/)

Neville
09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Cheers mate, unfortunately I can't use Mapquest in my car once I'm driving! I did use Mapquest to come up with directions to Club Desire, and then from Club Desire to Club Fantasy, and then from there to Cadillac Lounge. Hopefully I'll be right and won't take a wrong turn somewhere.

Susan Wayward
09-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Cheers mate, unfortunately I can't use Mapquest in my car once I'm driving!

But you can do this amazing thing where you can transfer their directions to a piece of paper you can take with you in your car by these cool processes called "printing" or "writing."

Neville
09-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Cheers for that Susan. I did utilise that amazing process called "printing" but I still got lost! One of the more annoying things to deal with here in Boston are events like the highway/road changing names/numbers halfway through, which completely throws you off. Then your Mapquest is essentially useless once you get lost. I was supposed to go down I95 to Providence but somehow I ended up on I93 even though I never made a turn anywhere, and I ended up going back to Boston. So I had to turn around and work my way back to I95. Eventually I got to Providence (though I was a bit nervous as there were no signs to Providence until I was actually in Providence so I didn't know if I'd passed it or whatever.).

I found my way to Club Desires and it was quite good. The place was rather empty but I suppose it was on a Sunday night. The club itself was smaller than the ones in London and Sydney I'd been to but the girls were quite nice and I didn't get hassled for anything. I did meet a delightful girl who gave me an initiation into US style friction lapdances and it was certainly something I hadn't experienced before, and it was excellent. I didn't realise they could rub themselves all over you here. I wasn't quite sure what I was allowed to do (didn't want to get chucked out) so I sat on my hands but it was still good. I actually ended up exchanging numbers with this girl (not that anything will come of it as I have a girlfriend in Toronto) but we're supposed to be catching up for an early dinner next week as she wants to show me places to go dancing and clubbing around Providence (and Boston). Nice to meet someone seeing as I don't really know anyone in the US yet. She was quite sweet and I don't think I got ripped off as I had a great time.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this thread, especially Sportwriter who gave me some detailed recommendations on where to go, and Crescent Luna who told me how to behave. I'll probably make Club Desires my local (even though it's an hour drive away) as I like the atmosphere. Got to meet the owners and that and they were quite personable as well.

Again, many thanks to all who contributed to my experience.

Richard_Head
09-05-2005, 08:53 PM
.......and another junkie is born.

Neville
10-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Cheers guys, I'm well and truly becoming a junkie I reckon. A special cheers to Sportswriter for helping a confused English bloke understand the way the game works. Cheers mate! :D