PDA

View Full Version : OK, who is clever with MySQL?

smartcookie
08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I want to start a bulletin/message board (no, not about A2M). Is vBulletin good? Do I need to be some kind of technical bloody genius? Pointers? Suggestions? Hosting companies?

Thanks.

Katrine
08-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Shit, I'm so rusty with the technology, havn't worked with it in 2 years (whoa!) I wish I could help you out but I'm sure one of the boys is more up to date with front-end tools available for non-developers.

But based on my 4 years of experience in development (Oracle and SQL Server), learning to write stored procedures in SQL takes some training. But if you have the discipline, you can teach yourself with a book or by taking a course. You can probably get it in a few weeks if you put your mind to it. I know you can do it girl! I can help you with some code functionality questions as well.....

stant
08-29-2005, 04:49 AM
I want to start a bulletin/message board...
I'd start with the front-end first. Kat obviously has considerable back-end experience, and is willing to educate, but you might want to take it slow and go that route after first gaining a solid foundation in managing the front-end. In my experience, individual systems can vary widely in their sensitivity to back-end manipulation. The last thing you want to do is crash the whole system by probing the back-end too soon like some over-eager hacker.

Take a look at wowbb (www.wowbb.com (http://www.wowbb.com/)). They offer a package of software, domain registration, and hosting that is very reasonable. I've heard good things about these folks. And no, you don't need to be a guru.

Keep learning SQL as the sequel.

Katrine
08-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Kat obviously has considerable back-end experience

The last thing you want to do is crash the whole system by probing the back-end too soon like some over-eager hacker.

hehehehehehehehe huh huha huh huha ;D

Sitri
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Pick up Beginning PHP, Apache, MYSql.
You can walk through the install rather easily by following the cookbook.
Installs easier on Apache than MSserver.

Have a nice query.

If you are starting a forum, go for SimpleMachines SMF. Easy to install and very very powerful.

lunchbox
09-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Shit, I'm so rusty with the technology, havn't worked with it in 2 years (whoa!) I wish I could help you out but I'm sure one of the boys is more up to date with front-end tools available for non-developers.

But based on my 4 years of experience in development (Oracle and SQL Server), learning to write stored procedures in SQL takes some training. But if you have the discipline, you can teach yourself with a book or by taking a course. You can probably get it in a few weeks if you put your mind to it. I know you can do it girl! I can help you with some code functionality questions as well.....
Rusty or not, I'm turned on.

Does it cost extra for you to whisper dirty geek into a custy's ear?

Mastridonicus
09-12-2005, 10:59 AM
If you're going down the freeware circuit, you're going to have headaches to start, but very strong level of stability, if I can help, let me know.

::Mast::