PDA

View Full Version : NY Based Documentary on Stripping - HBO

Mimi NY
10-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Hey,

I'm a NY based journalist and stripper, working with an independent film company (Incite Pictures, funded by HBO) making a documentary on strippers in NY. The film is going to be based around the girl's lives more than the club - whether they're immigrants, problems they've endured getting here, how they survive from day to day. We're at the research stage and have been to aprroximately 20 clubs in NY trying to find the right club and right girls. The main problem is - girls don't want to be filmed, for reasons we can all understand. Me - I don't care. I've been in the NY Times and I'm not ashamed of my story. So this is a plea for all those NY based strippers out there to get in touch if you think you can help us find the right club and girls. The more stories the club has, the better, a la Nickels or Sweet Cherry. The more stories *you* have, the better. Perhaps you could be perfect for this documentary. Please do get in touch, either via email [email protected] or http://www.miminewyork.com

eyeawry
10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
FYI, gals - Mimi writes one of my favorite blogs ever. Definitely check it out.

PleasureVictim
10-09-2005, 09:30 AM
If I was a dancer I would've loved to be in this documentary- I love them more than movies.

Have you tried posting on craigslist?

BigGreenMnM
10-09-2005, 09:49 AM
From what i have seen,to include the last docu-shocku that HBO did(divas),the clubs and the girls who do it are gone in 5.

All the girls go away for assorted reasons,the clubs shut down.

The people who need the money the most are the ones to lose it the fastest.

I think if HBO can PAY actors to portray the lives of undertakers,and turn a hit,I think they can PAY strippers to become actors and portray nameless clubs and nameless dancers,in namesless cities in nameless states.

Just my opinion and not ment to offend,good luck with your project,you will not have a hard time finding girls to do this.

stripperbrat
10-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Good luck MiMi. I researched this concept some time ago. I had some great ideas, but my problem was funding the project. So I think that with HBO behind you--your chances of achieving the goal are very good. :)

Melonie
10-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Ah yes, and let us not forget that once you appear on camera telling the story of how great it is and how much money you are making, under the Section 2257 law HBO must provide your real name, real address, and real social security number to the IRS, the NY state income tax people, and the NY city income tax people on request ! Are you in a position of being able to prove that you DIDN'T earn $1000 a night for the past 3 years ? You don't really think that Diva's going bankrupt after receiving the HBO air time was pure coincidence ?

FL Dancer
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM
^ a dancer can also keep records and honestly report her income to the IRS and not have to worry about that kind of stuff.

Melonie
10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
^^ yes that's true. It's also much easier to say this from Florida which does not have a state or city income tax, versus from NYC which has about an 8% state income tax plus a 3% NYC income tax on top of the 20% federal income tax we all pay.

Paris
10-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I'd be on board if you ever think about coming to the west coast! I'm a career stripper with accurate tax records. I'm also very out of the closet with everyone who knows me, so no trouble there.

You might have better luck shooting in LA strip clubs, as people are more open to the idea of being on TV in that part of the country (or are there just to get "discovered").

PleasureVictim
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Yup Paris has a point, people will be much friendlier and camera hungry out there.

FL Dancer
10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Questions for MiMi :

would you require that the dancers live in the NY area ? Would you be interested in dancers who travel to work in NYC ?

Bridgette
10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Umm, I always thought, based on hearsay from working for the Divas people, that Divas in philly went out of business shortly after a shooting at the club. They are still very much in business in Puerto Rico, where one episode was filmed, and with other clubs in PA.

Speaking of stripper shows, I've bowed out of the one I was doing. Too much other stuff going on, lots of pressure right now, doing a show with endless contests and whatnot was just adding too much to the mix. Doing the pilot was fun and all, but I've got too much on my plate to keep going with it. Of course, it'll be my luck the damned show will take off and I'll regret not trying. bah!

Daisy1229
11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm a dancer in Philly...I go to school for Journalism too...this is such an excellent idea if you can find girls who are all set with the IRS and are willing to do it! I totally would if I was in NY!!