PDA

View Full Version : My favorite music ( to dance to)

MeganS
10-20-2005, 01:27 AM
I just wanted to throw this list down and hear some input.

I LOVE dancing to Eric Clapton - his blues stuff ( sky is cryin' (yes, Eric, not the stevie version) Alberta, Reconsider Baby.. ), not fuckin' cocaine or wonderful tonight, or blah blah blah over played radio shit.
Anything Blues!
Black Crowes - once again, non radio played stuff

Marshall Tucker
Allman Bros
Joe Cocker
Etta James
Dusty Springfield
Jane's Addiction
Commitments
Fleetwood Mac & Heart!
Hmmm... I'm 26, is something wrong with me?

SportsWriter2
10-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Anything Blues!

Marshall Tucker
Allman Bros
Joe Cocker
Etta James
Dusty Springfield
Jane's Addiction
Commitments
Fleetwood Mac & Heart!

No, it's all good. I really admire a dancer who can connect with the audience across decades and generations. :)

When Cingular started using The Band's The Weight from the 60s, one of my favorites (22) put it in her set music. It's a classic in folk rock, richly allegorical, and she did the research on it. Customers of all ages can connect with it. She's naturally gorgeous and knows how to use the song.

electric_head
10-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I love to see a dancer getting into the music no matter what it is.

azdd
10-21-2005, 12:37 AM
I LOVE dancing to Eric Clapton - his blues stuff ( sky is cryin' (yes, Eric, not the stevie version) Alberta, Reconsider Baby.. ), not fuckin' cocaine or wonderful tonight, or blah blah blah over played radio shit.
Anything Blues!

Nothing is wrong with you! I LOVE dancers that appreciate good blues music. My favorite Black Crowes song is Thorn in My Pride, what's yours?

Awhile back I was in a local club where the dancers provide the DJ with their song list, and were doing two song stage sets. This very young, yet very fit blonde hottie started with BB King, and then had Susan Tedeschi for her second song. I tipped her on stage and said that any dancer that used S.T. in her stage set was going to have to dance for me. She was thrilled that I even knew who Susan Tedeschi was! Those of you that don't know, go check her out! Female blues singers that can play great slide guitar totally hit the button for me. 8)

Susan Wayward
10-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Man, if that is what passes for good blues, I'm the one in trouble. Never could stomach Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan and I think Susan Tedeschi is ultracheesy. Not that I expect to play Junior Kimbrough or Lightnin' Hopkins in the club or anything . . . it's just that using that stuff as a definition of blues is like using Alabama as a starting point for country.

I'm down with the Allmans and Skynrd, though. And Heart, totally. There is one dancer I haven't seen in years who I will always think of when I hear "Barracuda."

SportsWriter2
10-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Man, if that is what passes for good blues, I'm the one in trouble. Never could stomach Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan and I think Susan Tedeschi is ultracheesy. Not that I expect to play Junior Kimbrough or Lightnin' Hopkins in the club or anything . . . it's just that using that stuff as a definition of blues is like using Alabama as a starting point for country.

I think Megan meant she prefers the blues side of well-known singers/bands. Susan is a Boston white girl singing southern black, but if you close your eyes, it's real. The slide guitar makes it for me...

And then we have Alabama, the Country Band of the 20th Century. You can start with scratchy 78s if you want, or you can start with South of the South as a regional anthem. It's the turning point years (1920-50) in a nutshell.

This is an interesting thread.

Moneywise
10-26-2005, 06:09 AM
I think Megan meant she prefers the blues side of well-known singers/bands.

Yeah. I think that was Megan's intent as well. I also think Susan was responding more to azdd's response.

Nothing is wrong with you! I LOVE dancers that appreciate good blues music.

I once played some Muddy Waters for a GF that was getting on my nerves while on a day trip. Now, if you know Muddy you know his blues angle is extreme. After about 15 minutes of that she told me to either shut it off or else I would have to live with the fact she jumped out of my car which, at the time, had been moving at highway speed. ;D

Yep.

Bobby "Blue" Bland is one that I enjoy on rare occasions.

azdd
10-26-2005, 08:32 AM

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think Clapton, SRV, and Miss T., at least come from respectable blues roots, even with commercial success. I guess Susan T. can be somewhat cheesy, but I just love that gravelly voice with great slide work. As a mediocre guitarist, I also tend to be biased towards those that can make a guitar say what I feel, but can't express myself. For me anyway, nobody does it like SRV. The guy channeled himself like nobody else I've ever seen or heard. There's a very good tribute DVD about him where some of the other greats like BB King, Clapton, and Buddy Guy all say he had something that they don't. I feel lucky to have seen him in concert twice while he was alive. It's hard to believe he's been dead for 15 years......

AND, since this is a SC site, imho SRV's best songs for lapdances would have to be Lenny, Texas Flood, Little Wing, and Let Me Love You Baby (although it's too short!).

Jay Zeno
10-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Stevie Ray is the only guitarist I know of who could do complete justice to Jimi. But I don't listen to a bunch of music.

If the laps is good, I like it to the full versions of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida or Stairway To Heaven. (Well, come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever heard the full versions in a stripclub, but I can dream.)

electric_head
10-27-2005, 05:39 AM
See when I think "blues" I think John Lee Hooker.Pinetop Perkins,Howlin Wolf and Robert Nighthawk. So we can say we like the blues, but by different artists.

azdd
10-27-2005, 06:03 AM
See when I think "blues" I think John Lee Hooker.Pinetop Perkins,Howlin Wolf and Robert Nighthawk. So we can say we like the blues, but by different artists.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! (courtesy of JLH)

SportsWriter2
10-27-2005, 08:23 AM
So we can say we like the blues, but by different artists.

Since we're spilling our souls, I liked the Blues Brothers, especially the scene where they almost got killed playing blues in a C&W roadhouse. :O

Jay Zeno
10-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Robert Johnson is about as "blue" as they came.

evan_essence
10-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Those genre labels can be confining. I like Susan Tedechi's music, but am not absolutely enamored of it. Nevertheless, I understand that once you start labeling something as blues, you trigger a reaction that someone doesn't like it because it's not blues to them. That's why it's helpful not to get wrapped up in those category boxes when it comes to cross-flavored music. You know, why not like it or dislike it for what it is, not what the CD store has it filed under?

I happen to like Shannon Curfman and Tift Merritt more, and defining them too strictly as bluesy rock or alt country respectively can lead to the same unproductive debate. (BTW, Shannon did a cover of The Weight on Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions.) Oh, and I adore Beth Hart. Now that woman has some pipes and attitude, and I can not believe she doesn't get any radio airplay, at least not in my neck of the backwoods. Joss Stone can get publicized to death, but Beth Hart puts out three stellar albums since 1996 and I hadn't heard of her until early this year. Thank goodness for the wealth of music on the Internet.

-Ev

azdd
10-30-2005, 07:12 AM
I happen to like Shannon Curfman and Tift Merritt more, and defining them too strictly as bluesy rock or alt country respectively can lead to the same unproductive debate. (BTW, Shannon did a cover of The Weight on Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions.) -Ev

Thanks Ev, I have Shannon Curfman's LG-BS CD, and think it's great. She was like 14 or 15 when she recorded that, has an unbelievable voice, and not bad on the guitar either. I'v been waiting for CD #2, but haven't seen anything. Do you know if she has anything out other than LG-BS?

evan_essence
10-31-2005, 05:28 AM
I'v been waiting for CD #2, but haven't seen anything. Do you know if she has anything out other than LG-BS?Actually, she was 13 when she recorded the first CD. Gawd, she sounds like a mature woman of at least 30. (She still looks about 16 in her photos now but must be around 19.)

She's got a 5-song EP that's reportedly nearly ready for release. A couple new songs are posted at http://www.myspace.com/shannoncurfman. She explains why it's been so long (typical record label BS) between recordings on her website at http://www.shannoncurfman.com. To tell you the truth, I'm not initially impressed with the new songs, but sometimes an artist's new sound has to grow on me.

Speaking of which, it amazes me how many music artists have MySpace pages. I don't even bother Googling their websites anymore. My first action is to type the MySpace URL - slash - artist name. Also, it's usually smoother technically to sample their music posted on MySpace than on the artist's own website. And if you really like an artist, most have e-mail list signups at their websites so you can keep abreast.

-Ev