PDA

View Full Version : My oh my, it must be PL season.

doc-catfish
10-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Are they handing out a Nobel prize for PL'dom this year? Or is this just something that naturally occurs when Halloween is approaching? Strange alignment of the planets perhaps?

They've been chatting about these upstairs, I thought that I'd bring them down here to Smurfyland for discussion.

Exec Sued Over $241,000 Strip Club Tab

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1021051scores1.html

Suckered By Stripper, Man Sues

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1026053hull1.html

The_Oceans
10-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Rabbit Season! Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Duck Season! PL Season!

To riff on what I said in the $241K thread upstairs, those with the most to lose, tend to lose it.

SportsWriter2
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
I think the bad publicity tells people that this is a dishonest, dangerous industry. That drives money away and encourages restrictive legislation.

The Snark
10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Some of you may have seen the following op-ed in the New York Times about the first case:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/25/opinion/25eaves.html?ex=1287892800&en=11e43db480ff0b5f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Mastridonicus
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
yea
you never hear about the guys who drop 10k and are HAPPY they did it :/

SeppeSai
10-27-2005, 04:27 PM
The op-ed mentions 3 grand for a bottle of champagne. What about the rest of the 241K? What did he purchase with that kind of money? Surely the VIP room prices and/or dancers' hourly rates (if applicable) can't be that much?

How did the bill get so high?

As for his excuses, pfft.

Casual Observer
10-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I think the bad publicity tells people that this is a dishonest, dangerous industry. That drives money away and encourages restrictive legislation.

Truth.

girlnew156
10-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Elmer Fudd season.

We are hunting Elmers.

All Good Things
10-27-2005, 10:03 PM
The op-ed mentions 3 grand for a bottle of champagne. What about the rest of the 241K? What did he purchase with that kind of money? Surely the VIP room prices and/or dancers' hourly rates (if applicable) can't be that much?

How did the bill get so high?

As for his excuses, pfft.

Hourly rates? What are those?

Champaigne rates (I mean the cost of alcohol, not CR rates) can jump by several orders of magnitude if you are not watching carefully. I also suspect that there was some major dancer tipping going on in the mid-five-figure range. If there was no major pile-on by every dancer in the club that night once word got out, I would be extremely surprised.

When these parties get started (often involving some serious Middle Eastern money and a bit of highly-indulgent self-proclaimed Eurotrash) the momentum tends to really build rapidly. Believe it or not, my money is on Scores for this one -- I can see them triple checking this guy's plastic by phone every fifteen minutes, complete with thumb prints, photo ID and manager approval.

Jenny
10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
They did, actually - fingerprint photo ID, and called in the card pretty much constantly. Honestly, if there was a lot of ground there, Amex just wouldn't have paid. Credit card companies (and I have worked with some unethical people so I know this) are very, very ready to believe that the strip club is falsely billing you. You can call in the card yourself and then challenge it later. Scores gets this a lot - they either perform extremely, extremely tight security or wind up with a blank tab.

FBR
11-01-2005, 05:30 PM
My new club doesnt do credit cards tabs. They do cash advances instead (with a 10% surcharge but they religiously tell you about that charge up front). It seemed wierd and pesky at first but Im OK with it now. I make the decision before hand how much I plan to spend and get those dollars while Im sober and thinking, hopefully. During the evening as you are buying drinks or dances, you are painfully aware of the shrinking thickness of your tip roll. Yeah it sucks when at some point youre down to nothing but it beats the alternative of a horrendous bill that you somehow dont remember accumulating. But youve limited the damages, assuming you dont get another advance :P

Can anyone in the real world imagine spending $240,000 at a club? Ive taken groups of customers to strip clubs and we partied our asses off and the most I can remember dropping was one large or so. Course my custies are all regular guys that drink domestic beer and like down home strippers ;D And I live in Ohio...need I say more ;)

FBR