PDA

View Full Version : stripper magazine

MercedesNYC
12-21-2005, 07:47 PM
hey all!

me and a few girls from my club started a magazine for strippers and other sex workers- it's called $pread Magazine.

if any of y'all are in NYC, pick it up at St. Mark's books! Or Bluestockings, or Hudson News.

We're about to come out with our 4th issue, and we just won "Best New Title of 2005" award from the Utne Independent Press Awards!!!!!! (how the hell did we do that?!)

anyway anyone else who's interested can get the mag from our website () we also have t-shirts that are really cute! if i can figure out how to post a photo i will.

love
erin (a.k.a. mercedes)
erin @ spreadmagazine.org

three.jpgtwo.jpgone.jpgtshirt-lores.jpg.jpg :-*

mermaidnz
12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
if these were much more readily available in australia or nz, id been keen as to subscribe.even tho nothing would really apply to me (being at the end of the earth!) but it would still be great to see a print version of what SW does 24/7 :)

PleasureVictim
12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
The next time I go to manhattan I'll be sure to pick up a copy. A friend of mine recommended it. I actually went into an independently owned bookstore to see if it was there, but I didn't see it on the stands.

Silky
12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Congrats... that is really impressive i will look into getting a copy =)

infra-red
12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I'd like to know the steps you took to start your own mag....very impressive. Thats something I'm interested in, but, I'm not sure how to start.

MercedesNYC
12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
hey infra,

well we actually had no idea, too, we just came up with ideas and then started talking to artist friends and stuff.

i taught myself how to use InDesign (like Quark) to do the layout and design. it was a fucking bitch to learn, and the first two issues of the mag definitely show it... like if you compare our first issue to issue #3 there is a very obvious world of difference.

i also bought this book called "Editing by Design" that is about layout and graphic design and that helped me immensely.

we raise money to print each issue by throwing benefits at bars that won't charge us for using their space, and then we find pro-bono performers (DJ's, bands, burlesque, comedy, etc.) we try to be creative- our last benefit was a sex worker fashion show!

if you have any questions, by all means, ask away! we did it knowing nothing, and now know a little more... but are still figuring things out.

we're about to do our paperwork to become a 501(c)3 nonprofit.

infra-red
12-30-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks, Mercedecs!

threlayer
01-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Most impressive effort. I hope it continues being successful. Entrepreneuerhood is alive and well.

AnnaPDX
01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Hey Mary, it's Noodle! I'm interested in working on projects. I was actually thinking that it would be interesting to do an article about the Portland sex industry for $pread, because I feel like it's such a unique situation here. I'm also interested in taking on a project that a work friend of mine came up with: a sex work book group. She quit dancing and I lost contact with her, but the idea was to read all the books that keep coming out about sex work, get together and critique them, and eventually write our own book. Let me know if you might be interested in that.
xo.