PDA

View Full Version : Opening new club, would like Dancer's advice

StrpClbOwnr
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I am in the beginning stages of opening a strip club. My partner and I have enough capital to get started and have enough connections to get approval for the area we'd like to open it. We both have enough business, management and night club experience to run it.

We plan on having an upscale club, and want to attract the best talent available and cater to upscale customers. We have to submit the layout plans before we can be licensed. We are in the planning stages as to the set-up, but one thing we have planned is a private gated employee parking lot for the dancer's safety. The location is in Massachusetts, so there will be no lap dancing, but we will have an area for private dancing as well as a VIP area.

My question is: From a dancer's perspective, what makes a club a good club to work at? Both physically and operationally. What do you look for when when picking a place to work?

Thanks in advance!

Emily
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
dancers only care about one thing....money.

ultimtely it's important that she is safe and treated with respect, but if she's not happy with what she walks out the door with, she's not coming back!

StrpClbOwnr
01-04-2006, 11:30 AM
dancers only care about one thing....money.

ultimtely it's important that she is safe and treated with respect, but if she's not happy with what she walks out the door with, she's not coming back!

I understand that money comes first, and it's my responsibility to make sure that there are enough customers in the club to give the dancer's the opportunity to make money.

I also understand that safety is important and have plans to have private parking and a separate private entrance for the dancers in addition to a well-trained bouncer staff.

What I am interested in finding out is what additional things make a club a good place to work. For example club layout, shift rotations, management, etc...

Look at it this way - If you had an opportunity to help design a club and make policy for the way a club was to be run that you were going to work at, what would you do?

Susan Wayward
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
All things being equal financially, this dancer appreciates a club that has:

Lower fees
Nicer amenities (spacious dressing room and ladies' room)
Shorter shifts/looser scheduling
Friendly employees
Clearcut and obvious rules that everyone more or less follows equally
A nice separate area to take customers for private dances
And a *clean* club--as in physically clean, as in the stage is kept free of debris and the restrooms are nice, etc. It's surprising how hard it is for even upscale clubs to keep everything clean and in working order.

Yekhefah
01-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Pay your own employees. Don't expect the dancers to pay them for you.

LittlePixie
01-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I would say that adequate dancer amenities would be important, meaning:

- Enough space in dressing room to accomodate many dancers getting ready at once. Good setup of mirrors with power outlets for iron, hair dryers, etc. Comfortable chairs. Doesn't have to be fancy, at least clean and functional.

- Enough lockers!!! I have yet to find a club that has free lockers for new dancers.. Those that even have some only have a few and they're always taken... Knowing my personal things are safely locked away are a big plus for me!

- Clean adequate bathrooms.

- One or more showers, I've only seen one club have them in my area and they do come in very handy sometimes!

- A small private room or area to be able to take a real break (away from the noisy club floor and dressing room) and collect your thoughts for a minute or two.

Lastly, charge your dancing (and other) staff reasonably for non-alcoholic drinks. I've only had to buy my own drink once (was a crazy slow day), I sure was pissed to get charged 5$ for a diet coke!

That's all I can come up with now, if I have more ideas I'll be happy to share them.

ChloeTheRed
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Figure out what niche you want to fit into. If there's no really upscale places around, you're already set. I'm in Minneapolis, and the three more "upscale" clubs are Rick's Cabaret, Schiek's Palace Royale, and The Seville. From what I've heard of Rick's and Schiek's, Rick's is a fairly typical nicer topless club, no big gimmick, and Schiek's is the place for conspicuous consumption, with lots of steaks and fancy champagne on the menu. I work at The Seville, and it is carving out a niche for itself by being a sort of Neo-Burlesque club -- warm red-toned decor, really comfortable chairs and couches, artsy b&w pinup shots of dancers and famous burlesque performers on the wall, and a comfort food to fusion menu. The bouncers are always dressed in suits, and the waitresses wear a uniform of a low-cut pinstriped halter top and pinstriped pants or skirt. Very sexy, but still classy.
They try really hard to project an expensive image but not be flashy (like Schiek's), so they distinguish themselves nicely from the competition.

As for bringing in the customers, free entry is always a big draw (no cover with ticket stub for concert/football game/basketball game from that night). It pays to be as close to a sports arena as you can manage. The Seville is literally across the street from the basketball stadium, so that pretty well guarantees a big crowd after every home game and after many of the concerts there. Once you have a clear idea of your niche, advertise it and make sure you're distinct from the competition.

Decide whether or not you're willing (or able) to tolerate extras in the private rooms and keep it like that. If you won't, you'll lose out on some girls, but ones who won't do extras will be more inclined to work at your club and may be a little more tolerant of slow nights. Post the rules and policies on dances in multiple places in the dressing room and enforce them consistently. Almost nothing will get a horde of angry girls on your ass faster than playing favorites.

As far as keeping your dancers happy, as stated above, bring in customers and treat them fairly.
Lower fees/flat fees are a good way to promote a more relaxed atmosphere. Mid-range to high fees + mid to high percentages = really high-hustle wanna-dance club.

Allow girls a certain amount of freedom in negotiating prices. Set suggested prices for dances (and try to keep girls from totally undercutting each other), but let them negotiate higher with customers who are grabby. Let them negotiate an hourly fee with customers who want the dancer to sit and talk with them (and get the occasional tableside dance) but doesn't want to go VIP. Hourly rates can work incredibly well for bachelor parties.

Good dressing rooms = absolute must. Hire competent, responsible housemoms. People who have grown out of stripping (or currently can't due to pregnancy) may have a better idea of what is needed, but in any case, they must be responsible. Pay your housemoms and make it their responsibility to keep the dressing rooms clean (and possibly some other small tasks like washing bar towels), and give them a little power (not to hire or fire, but to veto inappropriate wear or demand somebody help clean up a mess they made). Good makeup mirrors (and lots) with counterspace under them are very important. But no comfy chairs; some nights is takes a little coercing to get me to keep hustling.

Selling features (like T-shirts and bobbleheads) is a pain in the ass. It's bad enough when we have to sell it for you, worse when we have to buy it in hopes of being able to unload it for a profit.

Let dancers choose (or at least request) their music. I dance much better to music I like.

Treat all the dancers with respect and make sure the security and waitstaff do the same at all times. Make sure the dancers return the favor.

Put a heatlamp backstage in winter.

Allow girls to sign up for a set shift schedule, but let them alter it on reasonable notice (need to give a few days to a week if they're going to be skipping a night where you'll be hurting for dancers).

And that's a long post. Keep in mind, these are good tips for hiring ME (no-extras, decent dancer who's willing to sacrifice some money to avoid people who expect really high mileage.)

girlnew156
01-04-2006, 05:11 PM
You know, it would have been real nice
if all the place I have went to, to try to make a go of it
had all ample parking place, dressing room space,
and all that, but I leaned to take it, one day at a time.

One thing you need to do is to be supportive of your dancers.
We are the thing which makes or breaks a club.

Ok, now that being said, one more item.

You have picked a nice, I mean, nice segment of the market
to start in, the upscale club. The ultra high end, cut throat part
of the business. Oh, no doubt, you will make plenty for a time.

Then as the novelty dies off, so well your profits, as they go receding
like the sunset at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, your costs of operation will not similarly recede, but
will keep increasng, advertising costs, utility costs, insurance, etc.

In the end, in an attempt to bolster sales, scam artists of all kinds will
appear promisisng miracles. But such miracles will never materialize.

Oh, well, have fun for the next two years. Good luck.

ChloeTheRed
01-04-2006, 05:15 PM
LittlePixie:
I've only danced the one place (with tons of free lockers), so I hadn't realized that would even be an issue!

Also, employee discounts on food and drink keep everyone happy.

LatinaRose
01-05-2006, 01:49 AM
I really hate when I have to walk up stairs in 7 inch heels to get to the dressing room. I've worked at a few that had an elevator to the dressing room so our precious feet didn't hurt :)

I second the lockers, there are usually never enough.

Clean bathrooms!! Dancers should have their own bathroom that is not for use by customers. And some of the nicest clubs can still have funky bathrooms for some reason.

I've worked for a club that had a standup tanning unit in the dressing room. (I think they paid a few bucks to the housemom to cover electricity costs.) Another would bring in a massage therapist to do chair massages. Good ways to keep your dancers happy!

I also hate selling merchandise for the club. If you want to sell merchandise, have it behind the door girl.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

colleen
01-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Work with a consultant like DancerWealth to figure out how to set your pricing to help the girls make the msot $$ they can.

Set up you fee schedule so that as the girls make more $$, so do you. Don't stick it to the dancers wehn the whole club has a shitty night.

Make sales training available to your dancers, so they will know how to make more $$ for themeslves and the club.

Remember that 18 year old girls may look pretty, but the are not the best sales people in the world. your 22-35 year old entertainers will attract the intelligent, educated professionals who really have the $$ to spend, will sell more dances and champaign rooms, and will keep them coming back more.

Bridgette
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I've seen this over and over. Potential new SC owners come here asking for advice, what we would like to see in a club. Every time the guy is talking too much about things like parking lots, vending machines, etc.

The most important thing you need to focus on is the marketing efforts you'll make to get the customers in the door. The gated parking lot is nice, but if you don't have the income potential for the girls, you won't have the girls.

Take some of that money you're planning to spend on amenities and put it in your advertising budget.

As far as facilities, you really only need plenty of space in the dressing room, enough lockers, mirrors and lights, a separate bathroom inside the dressing room for dancers (another ladies room for female custies), good layout which contributes to making money (for everyone), and keep the place clean and well-maintained. A good sound system is important, and a stage that promotes showmanship and tipping is also good. Nice private dance areas also promote dance-buying.

I would suggest you consult with someone who specializes in strip club design and layout. The best laid-out clubs are comfortable for everyone and allow for efficient money-making. The extras are nice, but don't really contribute to everyone's ultimate goal of making money.

TarynJolie
01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
We are in the planning stages as to the set-up, but one thing we have planned is a private gated employee parking lot for the dancer's safety. The location is in Massachusetts, so there will be no lap dancing, but we will have an area for private dancing as well as a VIP area.

My question is: From a dancer's perspective, what makes a club a good club to work at? Both physically and operationally. What do you look for when when picking a place to work?

Thanks in advance!

I really like the gated parking lot idea !

As for what I look for in a club :

enough daily use lockers for all the dancers
a nice size stage with a pole
limit on dancers per shift
Good support staff
Clean working enviroment
reasonable tip out

Phedre
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Where in Mass? New England area? I know some girls that could help get you started out that way! Let me know if it's in that area.

AudreyLeigh
01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Please make sure the LAY OUT of the club makes sense. I hate having to stumble around tables and chairs to get to the VIP area...

I, from experience, prefer clubs where the DJ is by the stage/dressing room so I dont have to run across the room to choose my music when Im getting ready to go on stage.

Please dont make girls have to drag a customer across the room to get a VIP pass then BACK across the room to use it.

And all of the above including lg dressing room and lockers...

DancerWealth
01-05-2006, 12:47 PM
When I do consulting for clubs, one of the most difficult things I have to convince them of is that when you remove as many possible monetary restrictions on the dancers (i.e., outrageous house fees, drink hustles, giveaways where you make the dancers pay for the giveaways, etc.) YOU will make more money.

Most clubs think the same way morons in the government thing..."tax them more and we make more money" which is actually poor financial thinking. The reality is, it will all come back to you anyway in one way or another so hurting the dancers only makes for unhappy, unreliable, and transient dancers. Time and time again, the best clubs I've ever seen that have the least amount of drama, the most hard working and reliable staff, etc. are the ones where they let the dancers pretty much have free run of the place (within legal boundaries of course).

Second, have someone who is an expert in SALES create your prices, not a marketing guy or a manager. I've seen it over and over again when I work with clubs and look at their price structure and just cringe because it's so unsalesworthy. For example, my favorite was Sapphire here in Vegas. For a dancer to get a guy in the VIP room, it was $100 for 3 songs PLUS a 2 drink minimum. Then, they doubled the price of the drinks from $6.50 to $13.00 making the total price a whopping $126.00. Not only is this an insane price denomination, most guys don't want the drinks anyway, and certainly not two of them in 10 minutes time. Nothing in this formula works except the greed of the club wanting to coat-tail off the dancer's sale. In addition, from the customer's perspective, NO VIP room is worth over double the price of the dances you can get on the floor of the club. So, while they had this policy, it was virtually impossible for dancers to sell VIP room trips. Meanwhile, all the executives are sitting around scratching their heads trying to figure out why. For anyone in sales, it's a no-brainer. So rule #2 you should have is hire experienced sales-people who know the industry.

girlnew156
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Hahahaha.

..............Thank you, DancerWealth.

yoda57us
01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I am in the beginning stages of opening a strip club. My partner and I have enough capital to get started and have enough connections to get approval for the area we'd like to open it. We both have enough business, management and night club experience to run it.

We plan on having an upscale club, and want to attract the best talent available and cater to upscale customers. We have to submit the layout plans before we can be licensed. We are in the planning stages as to the set-up, but one thing we have planned is a private gated employee parking lot for the dancer's safety. The location is in Massachusetts, so there will be no lap dancing, but we will have an area for private dancing as well as a VIP area.

Thanks in advance!
Just my 2 cents as a long time customer of Mass clubs. I recommend you check out the Foxy Lady in Brockton. They took a fairly old run down rock night club and turned it into a well run upscale strip club that seems to be making money for both owners and dancers. I have 2 favs who relocated to the Foxy from other clubs recently and, among other things, they have both had very positive comments about the way management treats the ladies. With the exception of their totally annoying t-shirt promotion every hour of the night shift it's a well run club.

By the way, I don't know where you are going to be located but if you are south of Boston, west on the Mass Pike or near Connecticut you are going to have to come to terms with at least limited one-way contact private dances. Your PD area and VIP areas and how they are set up will be key to getting and keeping talented dancers. I'm assuming you've already checked out other clubs in your area to see what's going on. If not I'd recommend it. "No Contact" is fast becoming a myth in many areas of Mass.

Good Luck with your endeavor. I look forward to checking your club out when it opens.

kat 3322
01-05-2006, 07:53 PM
to bad im moving, mass needs a club.

ive worked in a smaller club for a while and even though it is a hell hole there are some very well off guys who come in time and time again and drop alot of money. they could go some where nicer but they love the welcoming feel of the place. the wait staff and bouncers are all very friendly (unless the bouncers are handeling a nasty situation of course) there is a more upscale club up the road but fewr people go because its too stuffy and the people that work there are snobs. if you hire good friendly people to work there it will encourage alot more repeat cutomers.

also dancers will bring in repeat customers if they are smart and articulate. i have found that many less attractive girls can make more money then super hot girls. a good balance of both is needed.

if you havent gotten the hint dont have drink sales requirements for the girls or try to make your money directly off the dancers with house fees, or dumb stuff like that.

be very clear about contact rules. my club was much better once upon a time before a bunch of girls started doing contact and the bouncers stopped paying attention. now it is clean girl vs. dirty. this will always happen a little anyhow, but everyone one is happier when they feel like they are working with the same rules

lastly girls deal with alot of crap to make there money, they dont want crap from the managers, we all want to be treated like people. be flexable about hours, be respectful, let the girls be themselves. i love that at my club girls can be goofy and let loose.

Bridgette
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with what Dancerwealth says. And I don't usually. HAHA! :P

I've worked in alot of clubs, and far too many make it difficult for girls to make money, mainly because of clubowner / manager greed. I can offer my current club as an example to back up his claims. Been in business 43 years, always been one of the busiest clubs in town, prices are relatively low, and dancers are pretty much allowed to do whatever they want within legal constraints. The place is ALWAYS busy, there are LOTS of girls and everyone makes money. There are girls who've worked there 10 years and aren't going anywhere anytime soon (they look great btw).

The only thing I'd add that hasn't already been stressed enough in this thread, is that the way you and your staff treat your dancers will make a huge difference in your bottom line. If the dancers are treated like crap instead of the business asset that they are, they will be unhappy and less productive, and that will be reflected in your profits.

Loli
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
good club =

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip d.j.
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip bartender
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip management
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip bouncers or suck-your-ity
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif free drinks

AlexxaHex
01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
The things that make me happy are:

~A manager that doesn't make me feel like shit for not doing any dances when it's slow. If the manager has an issue with one of the girls, have him tell her in private, not in front of customers (I have seen managers fly off the handle when a girl was giving a DANCE).

~A DJ who has a decent selection of his own music, with a good voice, and actually plays #5 instead of #6 because he is NOT stoned.

~Low tip out (i.e. our LDs are $25 and we pay out $5 per dance). You might want to think of incentives for dancers too. For instance, if they sell more than 5 or 6 dances, they can stop paying the dance fee on anything over 6.

~A larger dressing room with mirrors everywhere, shelves at waist height, and plenty of outlets for hair irons and such (lockers for everyone are good too). The dressing room at my SC is TINY and we are always bumping into each other. Sucks for when we are trying to get ready in a hurry and there are 8 girls falling on each other.

~A place for dancers to have a cigarette that is not in the same place where customers smoke

~Keep the TP in the ladies room well stocked

~Offer to buy the dancers a drink now and then. My manager does this when he sees we are bitchy and sometimes it helps us get out toward the bar and talking to custys.

~A big scary bouncer who responds to dancers' honest concerns and complaints.

~I like to see that my club is advertising also. It makes me happy when I can pick up a copy of LA Weekly and see my club in there. You might want to consider hiring someone to build you a web site or have a myspace account with photos of the club and girls.

~Always treat the girls with the same respect you would give to your sister. Never scream, yell or play the power trip game. They are helping you by being there and you are helping them also. I would walk out of a club faster than you could say "ASSHOLE" if a manager thought he could push me around like a bully.

MeganR
01-06-2006, 12:03 AM
The extras are nice, but don't really contribute to everyone's ultimate goal of making money.
I'm not sure I agree with this. If you can't make money doing extras, you're just not going to make money period.

MadisonM
01-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I have a question for Strip Club Owner: how big of a club are you planning on opening? How many girls do you plan on having each night? Are you going to have different shifts? Ok that was more than one question. My reason for asking is because I worked at a club for a week that I was not happy with at all. It was a club that was trying to be upscale, and there were 15 girls working one night, including myself, and about that many customers as well. No one is happy with the money they make when there are the same number of customers as dancers. It's good to have enough dancers so that every customer can find a girl that is his type, but you should have too many dancers for the business that your club brings in.

StrpClbOwnr
01-06-2006, 07:04 AM
I have a question for Strip Club Owner: how big of a club are you planning on opening? How many girls do you plan on having each night? Are you going to have different shifts? Ok that was more than one question. My reason for asking is because I worked at a club for a week that I was not happy with at all. It was a club that was trying to be upscale, and there were 15 girls working one night, including myself, and about that many customers as well. No one is happy with the money they make when there are the same number of customers as dancers. It's good to have enough dancers so that every customer can find a girl that is his type, but you should have too many dancers for the business that your club brings in.

It is going to depend on what our seating capacity ends up being. We are looking at a couple of different sites and everything is contingent on zoning. Most likely it's going to be about 250 customer capacity.

I used to schedule the waitresses at our restaurant and night club, so I am familiar with maintaining a balance so that the staff makes money and the customers stay happy. Bad service equals no customers, and staff that daoesn't make money equals unhappy staff that leaves.

We are going to have multiple shifts. A day shift and a night shift, and the night shift will be staggered with some of the girls coming in a little earlier and some girls staying a little later. I don't want too many dancers on at the beginning of the night shift, and I want maximum coverage for peak hours. I don't want dancers sitting around, but I also don't want a shortage so customers can't get dances in a reasonable amount of time. It's a balance. I'll also have to account for peak seasonal times. Obviouslty we are going to have to make some adjustments as we get going.

We used to schedule our staff for basic coverage with an on-call waitress in case someone called in sick or we expected to get extra busy. That was one of the ways we gave daqy staff a chance to work nights - give them an on-call shift to see how they did at night and if they performed, they could go into rotation.

I'm thinking of having the dancers do a 3 song set roughly every 90 minutes during peak times. That way they can have an hour to do private dances and VIP dances in between sets and still have time to get ready before and after their sets. So it would be about 8 - 10 dancers for a peak shift.

StrpClbOwnr
01-06-2006, 08:12 AM
good club =

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip d.j.
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip bartender
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip management
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif don't have to tip bouncers or suck-your-ity
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif free drinks

If the DJ is working for you to play your songs, then they deserve to get tipped - they are working with you. If they are playing house music, then they shouldn't.

You shouldn't have to tip the bartender. They should get hourly & customer tips.

You shouldn't have to tip management. They should get salary plus a percentage of profit in a yearly bonus.

Some owners expect dancers to give them BJs? That's just wrong. That's no way to treat an employee, and it's also illegal - it's harassment. I am going to run a legitimate business. I will treat all my employees with respect. I view the dancers as my sales staff. I will provide the facility, the leads(customers), and sales training, and they make the sales(private & VIP dances). Together we share in the profits, we are in a way partners.

Non-alchoholic beverages will be free for all staff. Dancers should stay hydrated. I think one drink(mixed or beer) per shift on the house is fair. After that, get the customers to buy them. I don't want drunk employees, that can only lead to problems.

soybeangirl
01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I worked in the Boston metro area for 4 years.

Anything is better than what Mass has to offer now.

The Foxy is a GREAT club to model your own after. As far as aestetics are concered, I think the more loung-ey, country club-like, the better. Maybe take a stroll through the oak room at the Copley Hotel and mimic that if you can.

Boston is known for it's pretetion and sophitication. I would play off that as much as possible.

The only other decor I can think of that would be an attention-getter is something a little more swanky like a hip night club. Velvet seating, funky light fixtures, lots of stainless steel.

When centerfold opened I walked inside and felt like I was at Foxwoods. Not at all sexy.

Good luck and let us know when you open. I would certainly be up for a trip to boston to check it out!

yoda57us
01-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I am going to run a legitimate business. I will treat all my employees with respect. I view the dancers as my sales staff. I will provide the facility, the leads(customers), and sales training, and they make the sales(private & VIP dances). Together we share in the profits, we are in a way partners.
That's a great approach. It really sounds like you are on the right track. Too often club management gets wrapped up in trying to make money off the backs of the girls. Ridiculous fines, exorbitant house fees, bullying and harassment are not how you build a successful strip club. There are several once popular clubs in the Mass/RI area that are now faltering because ownership does not understand this.

Nobody makes bank every shift but if you treat the ladies fairly and provide them with an environment that they have the opportunity to thrive in you will build a loyal dancer base and quality ladies will want to work at your club. Despite what some may say there are not 10 quality dancers lined up waiting to replace every good one who moves on because of bad treatment. Every time a dancer moves to another club she takes at least a few customers with her.

Optimist
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Do market research on your area clubs and the top national clubs because clubs in other areas can have an edge in design, marketing, fee structure, or employee relations the locals can't compete with yet. Be careful about upscale. You want to give them enough luxury to feel catered to but not intimidated. Be sure to use furnishings that are easy to keep clean, repair, and reorder. When you say you want the best dancers know that the best is about the most professional and gracious not a rigid height, weight, or racial requirement. Men want it all so give them a smorgasbord of hotties. No no-man's-land bar! Keep the guys in seats not barstools to get them too relaxed to think of leaving drive away looky-loos who want to take up your valuable floorspace for free. These guys attract more looky-loos and become an undermining force by discouraging the girls and mocking other customers generosity. (See the blue side) Let them know your place is for interaction not being a loner. I must disagree with your DJ strategy because I've seen that some DJs are arrogant enough to destroy your cash flow by playing bad music and insulting girls over the mike because they're unhappy about their tip. They become lazier because they know they don't have to perform and they become resentful of what dancers are earning (even though they're not willing to dance in a thong for men). For evidence check the DJ complaint threads. They work for you that's why you do the hiring-not us! Pay them enough so that they're worried about pleasing you not undermining the club. Market strong! Use a taxi paid referral program, run late night commercials ads in magazines and promote through local celebs. Radio and tv show photo ops with your Hottie Dream Team. If you're near Boston consider hiring a publicist and doing promotional parties and even offer special comp packages for local celebs and jocks. Go get 'em!;D

Bridgette
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
The extras are nice, but don't really contribute to everyone's ultimate goal of making money.I'm not sure I agree with this. If you can't make money doing extras, you're just not going to make money period.
Uh, I think you need to go back and reread my post. Nowhere was I talking about "extras" (ie, sexual favors). I said "extras" in reference to the extra amenities in a club facility. Read people. ::)

Bridgette
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Nobody makes bank every shift but if you treat the ladies fairly and provide them with an environment that they have the opportunity to thrive in you will build a loyal dancer base and quality ladies will want to work at your club. Despite what some may say there are not 10 quality dancers lined up waiting to replace every good one who moves on because of bad treatment. Every time a dancer moves to another club she takes at least a few customers with her.

Yep. Too many owners / managers get caught up in the get-as-much-out-of-them-as-we-can-NOW attitude and club business for EVERYONE suffers for it. And what do most clubs do when business falters? Why, charge the girls more of course ::) Not only is this bad business, but the #1 reason I've seen so many really good clubs turn to shitholes barely keeping the doors open. A quality dancer is NOT as easily replaced as most guys in the SC biz think. There may be 10 girls lined up waiting to take her place paying those house fees but you'll be lucky to find 1 in 10 who can attract and keep the paying customers the way a quality dancer can.

Lena
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Train your VIP hosts in sales! A host who comes back and says, "you're time is just about up, would you like to add more time?" will make you SO much more money than the guy who knocks on the door and yells "TIME." It's also nice if he hustles tips for the dancers... just in simple ways, like at the end of the room saying, "okay well I have to get you two out of here then, I'll appreciate it if you take care of the lady," or offering the CC slip with the prompt "I need you to put her tip here, a total there, and sign here," can make a huge difference. I always teach the guys I work with to do this for me and I cut them 20% of any tips they get me.

Also, on busy nights make sure you have the coverage to make the money making time efficient. There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait half an hour for a champagne room to be open, then getting back in the room and waiting 10-15 minutes for the host to run their card and get your drinks in between dealing with other dancers, and then having to wait another 10-15 minutes to go through the same process when the customer wants to extend the room. Spending two hours to get paid for an hour in VIP is just crazy, but it works that way in some upscale clubs.

StrpClbOwnr
01-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this. If you can't make money doing extras, you're just not going to make money period.

I don't think it's necessary to provide sexual favors to customers in order to make money.

I know that I have gone into clubs on various occassions and spent over $1,200 in lap dances and VIP dances and not gotten anything more than a good time and a peck on the cheek afterwards.

Bridgette
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
^^ No kidding! There should be enough CR space to allow maximum CR sales. Nothing worse than having a guy agree to a CR only to have to entertain him for another half hour for free ::) Or worse yet, have him change his mind during the long wait. One key to this type of sales is 'get them while they're hot'.

Ideally, having VIP hosts / bouncers who know how to help a sale works best for everyone. I worked at one club (a Hustler no less ::)) where the VIP host would automatically tell every guy a girl brought up for VIP the standard half-hour price and start trying to sell him that. Which might've been ok if the girl hadn't already sold the guy on an hour, and/or at a higher than standard price! Set price standards, but set things up so the girls can negotiate higher ferchrissakes! After all, you'll be getting at minimum a % of whatever the girl negotiates for VIP via credit card fees.

I worked another club that actually limited what we could get in VIP unless we sold the most expensive over-priced champagne bottle in the building. And custies were NOT allowed to tip dancers on the cc tab. The way it was set up, in order for us to get a measly $30 more in VIP, we had to sell an additional $195 in champagne - almost double the basic CR price. And even if we sold the most expensive champagne, there was a 'minimum' we could get for that half hour, and half the waitresses would still automatically charge that for us without bothering to see if we'd negotiated more with the custy.

Talk about stoopid ::)

Bridgette
01-06-2006, 01:37 PM
SCOcwnr - MeganR's post is in response to her MISinterpretation of one of my earlier posts. No one has been talking about extras in this thread.

Paris
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Things I feel make a strip club better:

1. Training for brand new dancers. Maybe hire someone like DW to come in and teach your new dancers how to be dancers! My training went something like this: Read those rules over there, now get on stage and be nude by the end of your second song. When you are done put on your clothes and mingle with the crowd. Any questions??

2.Pay your bouncers a percentage of the dancer's fees from dances/VIP shows, not a direct dancer tip out. Dancers will bribe bouncers to look the other way while breaking the law (be it extras or drug usage or sales or whatever). This will keep the bouncers smoozing with your customers to get them to spend the maximum amount in the club (if a customer is waiting for a girl to come over, a bouncer can see to it that his wait is shorter by finding out from that customer what his needs are).

3. Serve food! Hungry customers leave the bar, no matter how enticing your ladies are. It will also prevent customers and dancers from becoming too drunk. Food is very important in any hospitality business.

4. Provide a smoking porch with portable heaters, and a separate VIP/Lap dance section. Set up an outdoor stage w/outdoor lighting, and put the stage as part of the rotation. Worried about noise disturbing the neighbors? try this: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-05-19-hss_x.htm
The only sounds the neighbors will hear is that of converation, you can add sales of cigars and ciggarettes to your bottom line, and your non-smoking customers will be able to enjoy the show in comfort as well.

5. Have a costume shop on premise. It doesn't have to be big, the shop can be the size of your average powder room, yet still be able to carry enough things to be useful. There is nothing worse then being halfway through a shift and have a shoe break. Or getting all the way to work and forgetting an essential item like t-backs or a purse or something.

6. A shower is a nice touch. I like to do things like whipped topping shows and the like but won't do it if there is nowhere to clean up.

7. Hire a reliable cleaning service. Don't count on your bar staff to get the job done (it won't).

8. Give your cocktail waitresses nice uniforms, but don't make them skimpier than what most of the dancers are wearing on the floor.

9. Cap your schedule. You don't want 60 dancers sitting around on a totally dead evening. If you know that Wednesdays are slow due to other events in the area, then schedule accordingly. I am more likely to keep my shcedule if I know that I am one of a few that are working that night.

10. Volume control. I carry earplugs with me most of the time because some clubs are soooooo loud. How do you expect the dancers to sell dances when communication is impossible?

11. Charge very low or no house fees on your least popular shifts. Or offer a frequent flyer type of program to your dancers. 4 paid house fees and the 5th is free? or something like that.

12. Have dancer standards. For example: have a cap on goth dancers if only a certain number of your customers like goth style women. Variety is good too.

MeganR
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Uh, I think you need to go back and reread my post. Nowhere was I talking about "extras" (ie, sexual favors). I said "extras" in reference to the extra amenities in a club facility. Read people. ::)
LOL. Go back and read my post as a joke and see if sounds any better. I personally thought it was funny. :shrug:

MeganR
01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
It's also nice if he hustles tips for the dancers... just in simple ways, like at the end of the room saying, "okay well I have to get you two out of here then, I'll appreciate it if you take care of the lady," or offering the CC slip with the prompt "I need you to put her tip here, a total there, and sign here," can make a huge difference. I always teach the guys I work with to do this for me and I cut them 20% of any tips they get me.
Great idea! I feel stupid for not thinking of this myself. :paperbag:

girlnew156
01-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, first off, it is my little opinion that this thread has been nearly kicked to death.

Maybe better to buy one existing than starting all over again from scratch.

Places to put money.

1. Renovation.

2. Hire good management staff. Flexible and Adaptable.

3. Hire good DJ. Not one but two.

4. Hire good feature act to kick it off.

Besides, you are here to earn money, not to run it, so go home.
Stop by once in a while to collect your check.

Talk to the girls, us, and make us laugh, give us some money.

Yeah, be generous.

Thanks.

Meea
01-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I hate when they show pornos on large screens (or any screen for that matter) i will refuse to work at such a cheap and dirty place, and i would never come as a customer.

the stage has to be close to the change room, and the pole must be far enough from the edge of the stage

waitresses should wear a uniform, but not the kind with their ass hanging out of a stupid pair of black granny panties.

no VIP cover charge

yoda57us
01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh, and PLEASE have an ATM on the premises. Don't force customers to purchase club funny money that surcharges both the customer when they buy it and the dancers when they turn it in (this is my other pet peave about an otherwise great club, the Foxy)

Angel1112
01-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Kewl!.......Congradulations!Where in Mass is your new club going to be?????
Might have to come check it out sometime next time im in Mass 8)

To answer your question..As for me ,what i look for and what i like is :being treated by the employers like a person with respect and not just a $$$ sign!! I like when people are positive,nice and polite and say thank you when i give them a $20 tip on top of there tip out,house fee's etc... I like working with people who are professionals and act like it. A nice,clean enviorement and reasonalble house fee's. A very flexible work schedule,no silly fines ...i cannot/will not deal with those kinds of clubs and i won't work in clubs that fine for every little thingy magigy.......LOL.........and of course good earnning potential and good clientel...i prefer the upperscale clients and eviorement.

Good luck to you on your new club ...may peace and prosperity be with you. :)

StrpClbOwnr
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded. There are some really good points made here that I hadn't completely thought about - it's all in the details. This will help us to make our club a place that will attract and keep the best dancers. I will let everyone know more about the club once we finish with the zoning issues.

Our goal is to attract upscale clientelle that will come in, relax, enjoy the beautiful women, fine liquor and good food while spending around $1000. We're not looking for the crowd that wants to come in for a few beers while they sit near the stage and milk a small stack of $1s.

There is one thing we are thinking about and I would like some feedback on. We are considering offering VIP dinners in a private dining area. We will charge the same rate as for a VIP dance area plus the customer will pay for food & drinks. It will be a "fillet & champagne" type dinner with a dancer who will give shoulder rubs, a few table dances, and even cut the food & feed the customer if they like. Pampered fine dining. Thoughts?

AlexxaHex
01-10-2006, 03:36 AM
There is one thing we are thinking about and I would like some feedback on. We are considering offering VIP dinners in a private dining area. We will charge the same rate as for a VIP dance area plus the customer will pay for food & drinks. It will be a "fillet & champagne" type dinner with a dancer who will give shoulder rubs, a few table dances, and even cut the food & feed the customer if they like. Pampered fine dining. Thoughts?

If you can find girls who are willing to do this, they had better be compensated well.
I can't imagine treating a man like a baby who can't be bothered to cut his food and feed himself, even if I was getting paid to do it. I would rather babysit. Maybe just the shoulder rub or dinner conversation would suffice.
Maybe as another alternative, you could put a few poles in there so that the dinner guys could watch girls dance while they eat. I wouldn't want to be grinding some guy who had a plate of food nearby. It could get messy.

I am curious as to how the girls would get paid to sit in the "dinner VIP". Do you expect the customers to tip them, or do you pay them a certain rate to hang out in that room for a set period of time and make customers feel pampered?

Geisha-style performance would be ideal. The men pay a certain fee to enter the dinner VIP and the performer gets a percentage of it. Maybe you can make a whole Asian theme in the room with geisha girls.

Man, I am giving away some good ideas. LOL
It's okay - I don't ever plan to open my own strip club.

girlnew156
01-10-2006, 04:19 AM
HMMMM, yeah, as long as it is something like hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, it could work.
Would not want any blue plate dinner type of dinners, it would get messy then.

Personal note. Worked at one place where they showed movies in the VIP room, and
delivered pizza. Only place I have ever seen where pizza costed $300. Yeah.
And it wasn't even full size. 8 inches.

StrpClbOwnr
01-10-2006, 06:51 AM
If you can find girls who are willing to do this, they had better be compensated well.
I can't imagine treating a man like a baby who can't be bothered to cut his food and feed himself, even if I was getting paid to do it. I would rather babysit. Maybe just the shoulder rub or dinner conversation would suffice.
Maybe as another alternative, you could put a few poles in there so that the dinner guys could watch girls dance while they eat. I wouldn't want to be grinding some guy who had a plate of food nearby. It could get messy.

I am curious as to how the girls would get paid to sit in the "dinner VIP". Do you expect the customers to tip them, or do you pay them a certain rate to hang out in that room for a set period of time and make customers feel pampered?

Geisha-style performance would be ideal. The men pay a certain fee to enter the dinner VIP and the performer gets a percentage of it. Maybe you can make a whole Asian theme in the room with geisha girls.

Man, I am giving away some good ideas. LOL
It's okay - I don't ever plan to open my own strip club.

The VIP dinner would have the same rate as the VIP room plus the cost of food. $500 for an hour, and the dancer would get the same percentage as if she was in the VIP room. And she would get a percentage of the champagne sale as well, depending on what the customer ordered to go with the meal.

I figured it would be along the lines of the old movies where women used to fan kings with palm leaves while feeding them grapes. Some customers would really go for that type of thing.

If the customer spends $500 on the room and $300 on the champagne and the dancer is getting the standard percentages, that's a lucrative hour. Do that a couple of times a night in addition to table dances and stage rotation and the dancer is clearing $1000 easily.

I like the suggestion about the geisha theme. But I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping with the decor of the rest of the club.

ioienvyioi
09-29-2012, 03:04 AM
So did this club ever open?