PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon

doc-catfish
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Got to go hit the matinee yesterday. It was ehhh okay. Not good, just okay. Reminded me of "The Day After Tomorrow" on a luxury liner. (You know, thinking of it in that manner, I guess it wasn't okay).

Of course, I'm biased in favor 70's era disaster flicks where you could watch George Kennedy save Victoria Principal from a psychotic National Guardsman or OJ Simpson rescuing a cat. I had some time to burn yesterday, so I suppose it was worth four bucks.

But if you were on the bubble on this one, I'd just wait for the DVD, or go rent the original.

Just seems in this post-9/11, post-tsunami world, its a little bit hard to enjoy a movie like this anymore. Esspecially when Flight 93 is playing right across the hallway.
:-\

Jay Zeno
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Just seems in this post-9/11, post-tsunami world, its a little bit hard to enjoy a movie like this anymore. Esspecially when Flight 93 is playing right across the hallway.
:-\That's Lady Z's and my problem, too. Having seen the real disasters happening on the television, it's taken away our enjoyment of drama for the cinematic ones. I'm all up for seeing X-Men 3, but the parts of the preview where the Golden Gate Bridge is getting ripped apart doesn't intrigue me at all.

I saw the original Poseidon Adventure when it was first out. It was one of those movies that was good when it was first on, with nothing else to compare it to, and then became laughable as the years went on. Irwin Allen milked that silliness for a while. I just can't get fired up to see this one.

Thanks for the review, doc. It's actually right in line with what I expected from the previews.

lunchbox
05-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Remaking a Gene Hackman movie is like trying to roundhouse kick Chuck Norris.

I did watch Fun With Dick and Jane this last weekend, remade in the same sense that Oceans 11 was remade, quite amusing.

Katrine
05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Earthquake 77 and The Towering Inferno??? Love 'em, I love anything seventies and 'xploitation in the genre! My ATF, of course I've mentioned it on here a million times:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067525/

yoda57us
05-18-2006, 05:46 PM
I love all of the "Airport" flicks especially the original. 70's disaster flicks where sometimes schlocky and just plausible enough to allow you to suspend reality for a few hours. The newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Never seen Omega Man (amazing since Heston is a favorite of mine), I'll have to watch for it.

Jay Zeno
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Oh, the Towering Inferno - yeah, where the helicopter drops a cable straight down to the outside glass elevator in peril, leaving one to wonder - how DID the helicopter get that close to the building with those whirling blades going?

In these films, it's so traumatic when people are killed off by the score by the disaster and rescuers meet horrible fates, but of course you've got to cheer because the four numbnuts left at the end of the flick get rescued.

Katrine
05-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Never seen Omega Man (amazing since Heston is a favorite of mine), I'll have to watch for it.

Whoa, its fucking awesome, we should rent it!

sportsfanonsw
05-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Sensurround kicked ass.

Sub woofer maximus.

3D glasses, Scratch and Sniff flix, Imax in your face-avision.... of all the gimmicks I liked Sensurround the best:

Poseidon Adventure
Midway
Roller Coaster
Earthquake <-- awesome
Towering Inferno

[not sure if all of these were sensurround... sure of the middle 3]

yoda57us
05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Whoa, its fucking awesome, we should rent it!

:dance: Deal! It's a date!:dance: