PDA

View Full Version : Think and grow rich book club chapter one

colleen
05-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Here is the first assignment:

After you get your book and/or tapes, read through the introduction, table of contents, and Chapter 1. You will notice that Hill teaches by parables. In Chapter one he tells several stories. For each story, decide what you think is the main point. In other words, after you read each story, ask youself, "Why did he bother to write that? Why is it included here? What does he want me to learn from this particular anecdote?"

We will meet back here in about a week to discuss.

colleen
05-25-2006, 01:43 AM
I meant to post my discussion here Tueaday, but alas, I was called in to work! ANybody doing this can feel free to post first. I will have mine up by Sunday, to be sure.

scarlett_vancouver
05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Urg, I didn't see this until now. I still need to order the book!

cinammonkisses
05-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Opps I gotta buy the book too..Can I get an extention teacher Colleen??!

Deogol
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Although the chapter focuses on DESIRE, I think this is one of the most important paragraphs in the entire chapter:

When the opportunity came, it appeared in a different form, and from a different direction than Barnes had expected. That is one of the tricks of opportunity. It has a sly habit of slipping in by the back door, and often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat. Perhaps this is why so many fail to recognize opportunity.

Many times I have found myself pining away at something I was hoping to achieve and then later on, discovered I had missed out on an awesome opportunity simply because I was so focussed on what I thought was the right opportunity for me.

Just like there is a saying about "500 batter misses half his swings" - this idea is important also:

Before success comes in any man's life, he is sure to meet with much temporary defeat, and, perhaps, some failure. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and most logical thing to do is to QUIT. That is exactly what the majority of men do.

More than five hundred of the most successful men this country has ever known, told the author their greatest success came just one step beyond the point at which defeat had overtaken them. Failure is a trickster with a keen sense of irony and cunning. It takes great delight in tripping one when success is almost within reach.

I have met many people who tried something and then were discouraged. They took it as not that "the planets were better aligned" or "someone had better prepared themselves" but that the defeated were themselves unworthy or unable to snatch victory from defeat. This is an untruth!

I think "Forrest Gump" was an important story in that - he kept on trying - living his life - learning - exploring - DOING. And what happened - ended up with the girl of his dreams (though not a perfect ending) - a child who was "normal" - and spitting wealthy because he had a good friend he wouldn't give up on (and it was his friend, Lt. Dan, who made him rich.)

Back to the book though, the person exampled LEARNED from his mistake (Darby) and went on in another opportunity becoming successful in that manner.

I think this is important also:

They sold the machinery to a junk man for a few hundred dollars, and took the train back home. Some "junk" men are dumb, but not this one! He called in a mining engineer to look at the mine and do a little calculating.

The engineer advised that the project had failed, because the owners were not familiar with "fault lines." His calculations showed that the vein would be found JUST THREE FEET FROM WHERE THE DARBYS HAD STOPPED DRILLING! That is exactly where it was found!
A lot of us surround ourselves with fucking idiots. I know I have and I paid a heavy price. People always say "Choose your friends wisely." This "junk man" knew he should find a smart person who knew his stuff in regard to potential opportunity.

It also says a little bit about knowledge and how valuable it can be. Before the stupid games like Trivial Pursuit filled our heads with "junk facts" and the pursuit of "junk facts" (like who is Paris Hilton dating this week or sitting in front of the TV) - we focused on knowing the world and knowing things about the world that can better our lot in life. Better food, housing, and healthcare were the goals - not a subscription to US Magazine.

Another important thing to focus on are these sentences:

Success comes to those who become SUCCESS CONSCIOUS.

Failure comes to those who indifferently allow themselves to become FAILURE CONSCIOUS.

Another weakness found in altogether too many people, is the habit of measuring everything, and everyone, by their own impressions and beliefs. Some who will read this, will believe that no one can THINK AND GROW RICH. They cannot think in terms of riches, because their thought habits have been steeped in poverty, want, misery, failure, and defeat.
In order to be successful, we may need to shake off some baggage we are carrying on our own shoulders. We should recognize that baggage is there - deal with it - and if we are lucky enough - put it down so we can walk upright and quickly to the next thing in our lives.

colleen
05-28-2006, 11:32 PM
As far as those who didn't get the book, don't sweat it. Just catch up as you can. We are not getting graded on this, after all!

The story that most struck me was that of Darby's uncle and the little girl. I kept going back to that one, trying to figure out how on earth a little kid could get the better of a grown man, when the man had not only age and sex but also race, money, and physical power on his side. the answer I came up with was that that little girl had only one advantage: pure, raw emotion. Whatever she and her mother needed that money for, it meant a whole lot more to the little girl than it did to the uncle.

I imagine that there would have been some sort of dire consequence if she had returned home without the money. When the uncle first refused her request, she stayed in the barn because there was no other option. Perhaps she had been told, "Don't come home without that money." Possibly, while she stood by the door of the barn, she was wondering what to door dreading going home to report that she had failed in her object. When at last she was confronted with an angry man weilding a barrel stave (A narrow strip of wood forming part of the sides of a barrel, tub, or similar structure--had to look that one up!) indecision or uncertainty crystalized into desperation. She had to get that money. She couldn't go home without it--her mother NEEDED that money. And she couldn't continue to stand there--she was about to be beaten!

The little girl personified many of the traits Hill is talking about: Burning desire, definiteness of purpose, refusal to accept "NO" for an answer, having no way to back out. She knew exactly what she wanted, and had no other option than to get it.

xoxoGracexoxo
06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Ugh! Does anyone else find Hill's style incredibly grating? He makes some decent points (we all determine our own level of success, etc.) nothing I haven't seen in other "motivational literature" but maybe that's cause he was one of the first. I'll keep reading and post more when I get to something I like.

Deogol
06-03-2006, 10:37 PM
The book was published in 1937 - so the language and custom of description (as well as some racial attitudes) will be a bit different from our "modern" tongue.

Truely a classic to survive into the 21st century as a "must read" though.

Korina
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Sorry I'm so clueless, but what is the book and who wrote it?

Jay Zeno
07-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Ugh! Does anyone else find Hill's style incredibly grating? Enough that, despite the recommendations of a very good friend, I couldn't make my way through it.

FireTiger
07-08-2006, 12:17 PM
"Think and Grow Rich" is by Napolean Hill. It's like the "bible" of success.