PDA

View Full Version : Oh My God

Deogol
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Just moments before the final Senate vote, the United States Senate adopted a provision that requires consultation with the government of Mexico before the United States government can build a security fence on our southern border. If there is any doubt whatsoever about who's in charge of U.S. immigration policy, and now border security, it should be dispelled.

As some have put it - TREASON. Who the fuck is running this place?

azcustomer
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Deogol,

Sorry, I don't get it. Are you upset that the Senate requires the gov't to speak with Mexico?

I didn't know we had any significant national issues with Mexico other than immigration.

On a much smaller scale, this is akin to asking the administration to pursue resolving a dispute through domestic policy before taking hostile action.

Deogol
05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
It reads a lot like "asking permission to" to me. If we want to put up a fence in San Diego (like we did) and Mexico spouts off some nonsense like "that's racist and unfriendly!" - does that mean we don't bother putting it up? Do we set ourselves up for all the bad mouthing or just go ahead and do it. I mean it is pretty obvious what Mexico is going to say anyway.

It's fucked up man. Fucked up.

Deni
05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Hmm...only time will tell if they've shot themselves in the foot.

azcustomer
05-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Deogol you may have a point.

I may be the eternal optimist, but this is my read:

Vicente Fox has gone out of his way to avoid engaging in a discussion about illegal immigration with the current administration. Part of the reason is because we will insist on his accelerating social reforms in his own country in order to further remove corruption, enhance their educational system, and promote entreprenurship within Mexico. Mexico has traditionally been run by a select few wealthy families and their corrupt psuedo democracy.

His current western state romp is a thinly veiled approach to stir up devisiveness between our governors and the federal government.

True, the US is taking a dramatic stand by building a wall across our border. It's going to be expensive. Assuming it is effective, this will have a dramatic effect on Mexico's number 1 export: labor Their #1 import? US dollars from illegals sending money home to their families.

The Senate is giving the President a present by publicly mandating that he communicate with Mexico before building the fence. Despite how much disdain I have for Bush, this gives him a reason to reach out. If Vicente responds, we have an interesting dialogue where we can present our views on how Mexico's own domestic policies are harming our economy.

IF Vicente does not respond, then Bush is given a platform to explain our actions to other world leaders and to the world opinion at large to paint this as a domestic policy issue and not a military one.

madmaxine
05-27-2006, 03:25 PM
^ I'd also like to point out why the Mexican goverment is so weird- the existing government system was set up in part by the US after the Mexican Revolution to prevent another war from spilling into the US, and to protect/control the petroleum resources in Mexico (Pemex is the name of the gov. organization that controls all the petrol in Mexico.)

azcustomer
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
^gracias por su clarificación