PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Do religious topics belong in P. Poo?

Anyway, does anyone know if Buddhism "came from" Christianity?

I am having a heated spat about this with a person who is a Mason, and thinks all religions came from Christianity. I checked Wikpedia etc., and I can't find where it says it came from Christianity at all.

I've participated in more than my fair share of Bible Bowls when I was a kid (stop laughing, that's what they were called), and I don't think he's right :-\

Lysondra
05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Isn't Buddhism older than Christianity? Isn't Buddhism even from BEFORE Western and Eastern civilizations MET?! o.O;

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:30 PM
well, i dont think all religions came from christianity because some are older then christianity. but i do believe that all religions tie together in some way...all leading people to one god, even though each religion worships the god differently. does that make sense to yall?

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah it makes sense Lucki, but I need you smart gals to provide this weeded gal with facts;) Lilith, do u happen to know the timelines? I'll share my doobie!!! j/k

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm looking too, but i don't have my normal faculties!

Djoser
05-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Sure it makes sense, though some religons are a little beyond monotheism, or any semblance of the presumed goal of Christianity, Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all men, etc.

Like the Aztecs, for instance...

But I think what almost all religons have in common is an attempt to make sense of the mysteries of Life. Why are we here? Is there a Purpose? Etc., etc.

But for anyone to claim that Buddhism owes anything to Christianity is the sort of bullshit that ignorant, proselytizing Bible-Beaters love to spout off nonstop.

Since Buddha was born about 600 years before Jesus Christ, you can tell them they are full of righteous shit.

There was a certain amount of influence from Greece, but none from a religon that took form a few hundred years later.

Yekhefah
05-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Buddhism is much older than Christianity.

I'd really love to hear this idiot's explanation of how Judaism "came from Christianity," as Christianity originally began as a Jewish sect and Judaism is thousands of years older than Christianity.

There are some incredibly stupid people walking this earth.

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks Djoser, that hit the spot. To show my apprieciation, you'll be the first to smack my new ass, if I ever get it.

No, no you can't decline, I insist;))))

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
sorry if i made myself appear to be not "smart"...buddhism was started in the 400/500's bce and christianity was started in the 100's ce. so yes, buddhism came 1st. theres no way it originated from christianity. judaism, hinduism, and other religions also came before christianity. there are plenty of ancient religions that could not have possibly came from christianity.

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Yek, u know what? This all reinforces my opinion of Masonry. I think its a cult, thoses dudes are so brain-washed!

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:48 PM
where did this guy get his info?

Djoser
05-27-2006, 10:49 PM
OK, but the way I do that at work is to send another dancer right out onstage after you, with a ruler...

Are you ready?

JustJayda
Oh shit, Lucki, I was INCLUDING you in that sentiment;) Forgive my prose. I was saying everybody else is smart, but not me right now, b/c I am burning a backwoods.

Djoser
where did this guy get his info?

I'd say out of his ass...

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:51 PM
no hard feelings! ::)

hardkandee
05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd really love to hear this idiot's explanation of how Judaism "came from Christianity," as Christianity originally began as a Jewish sect and Judaism is thousands of years older than Christianity.

There are some incredibly stupid people walking this earth.

Yeah, that would be a hoot.

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Naw, that's what the teach new Masons. I know there are different types of masons, to my understanding separated by race, but he's Black. He told me this, after I cussed him out for always referencing masonry in everything that comes up. He's like the dad on my big fat greek wedding when it comes to Masonry, he can make n e thing Masonic!

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:53 PM
yea u should tell him to look up both religions on encyclopedia.com or something and get his dates right...i dont know alot about the masons though. all i know is what ive heard...ive never had to study their culture or anything. are they christian?

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Bring it on DJOSER, although, we better wait and see what this stuff is made of. Don't want slippery shit on your stage, lol

Lysondra
05-27-2006, 10:55 PM
well, i dont think all religions came from christianity because some are older then christianity. but i do believe that all religions tie together in some way...all leading people to one god, even though each religion worships the god differently. does that make sense to yall?

I'm polytheistic. I believe in multiple gods. I do not pray to the same god differently than you do. I pray to over 100 gods differently than you do.

Which is what djoser said, only more in-tell-ee-gent sounding.

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
LOL omg

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 10:57 PM
lilith...do u have a church or organized practice u go to when u worship?

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Lucki, say its cool, don't say no hard feelings. I love hard feelings;)))))

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Lol! dont we all

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Personally, I don't find polytheism (the bullshit, pedantic term for worshipping more than one god) any less rational than monotheism. Especially when you consider that Catholicism is really for all intents and purposes a polytheistic religon.

Sure, you have one great big, all-powerful God--but then there's Jesus, and hold on, the Holy Ghost, and then there's the Virgin Mary--oh wait, what about Satan?

Then you have all the various saints, angels, devil's helpers with pitchforks, and so forth.

This is one reason the Spanish were able to so easily dominate the area now covered by Mexico--there were many religious similarities.

Not that I'm trying to bash Catholicism any more than any other religon, but if I can pray for more than one entity to help me out, I'd call that polytheistic.

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Bring it on DJOSER, although, we better wait and see what this stuff is made of. Don't want slippery shit on your stage, lol

That had me laughing so hard the neighbors probably think I'm crazy--which, of course, I am...

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh no, I started something bad;( Let's lock this down, while we're still chipper;)

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:09 PM
What's bad about it? This is funny as hell, I like it.

No one's been insulted but the fucking idiot trying to rewrite history, so he can convert you...

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I just don't want any Catholic folks to be hurt/upset;)

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
from what i understand, god jesus and "holy spirit" are all one- make up one god, and satan and all his helpers are not gods, they are "beings"...i dont know what u would call them, but theyre not gods. i think catholicism is monotheistic because they still only worship one god.

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah but you can pray to a particular Saint, right? They are immortal, self-conscious beings. St. Peter watches the Gates of Heaven (or is it St. Paul, I get them all confused). Satan is a different entity than God, isn't he?

Hell, let's get the Pope in here, he can straighten this mess out...

"Excuse me, Your Holiness, but there's an urgent crisis on StripperWeb..."

Lysondra
05-27-2006, 11:22 PM
There is no church for my religion directly. But there are churches to worship any religion you see fit.

My religion doesn't have a name, really, anyway. I kindof, well, made it up. I didn't like any religions out there currently so I decided to tally everything I believed in and make it my own set of beliefs. I cannot believe in one god - so I decided to believe in more than one. I can't believe being gay is wrong - so it isn't.

It's derived from other religions (mythology and many many now defunct religions).

I don't believe one should have to go to church to worship - so I don't. I go when I'm feeling like I -especially- need help. Like, in an emergency, I'll head to a church because I feel that churches exist to create the feeling of community and togetherness and it feels more like your prayer would be answered.

I go there because it makes my prayer seem that much more important to my god-of-choice that moment and they are more likely to answer me. Most of my needs are not important enough for churches when I pray. But, such as wanting to stay in Australia and praying for citizenship - yeah I'll head to church for that. But to ask to get over a cold quicker?

I'm not pissing off my gods by wasting their time by making my prayer seem more important than it is.

My opinions, take 'em or leave 'em. My religious beliefs also tell me to accept everyone for who they are, even if you don't like my beliefs. ^-^

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Yes, Satan is a different entity. In fact, he's a Saint.

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:26 PM
What I love are these fucking high school football teams praying before their games.

Like God is going to care if little Timmy's team wins...

I'd be pissed off, personally--where's a thunderbolt when you need one?

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 11:29 PM
lilith...thats interesting...i respect your religion to the fullest.
and Djoser...i cant argue with ya anymore cuz i dont know that much about catholocism! lol. i guess i was speaking more for christianity.

LuckiCharm
05-27-2006, 11:30 PM
LOL Djoser where did that comment come from

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Yes, Satan is a different entity. In fact, he's a Saint.

That's right! I forgot about that...

Of course, praying to Satan is against all the rules--but people do pray to individual 'Patron Saints', don't they? Women pray to the Virgin Mary before giving themselves up for marriage? I saw a friend of mine do that and had to laugh, she sure wasn't a virgin herself!

But it would seem to me that if you can pray to someone other than God Himself, and expect some sort of attention, it's a kind of polytheism.

Of course i don't mean to attack catholics, I'm really speculating here, and having fun.

But it has been noted by historians that the unusually easy domination of Mexico's native Indian population was in large part due to religious parallels.

Lysondra
05-27-2006, 11:34 PM
What I love are these fucking high school football teams praying before their games.

Like God is going to care if little Timmy's team wins...

I'd be pissed off, personally--where's a thunderbolt when you need one?

HAHAHAHA that's exactly what I mean! If I were a god I'd be damned pissed if someone went to church asking me to cure their son of headlice or something like that! I'd make the whole family have headlice for that prayer (hmmm... I wonder if they do that!).

Which is why smaller prayers - at home and only to specific gods. Important prayers - at church and ONLY IN EMERGENCY to higher gods.

Yes, they have levels. >_>

This all began because I cannot, for the life of me, believe in anything 'perfect'. How the FRICK can god be perfect? he made us in his own image? So either he's fuckd up or he messed up making us - so he's not perfect.

My gods fuck up and are human-like with god-like entities. And it's much more logical for me. >_>

But in the end, no religion is really logical. >_>

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:40 PM
LOL Djoser where did that comment come from

It came from being forced to go watch some snotty cousins or another playing football, and watching them pray before the game, and thinking "I'm sure God is on pins and needles, trying to decide who's going to win this one!"

When you think about it, what kind of God is going to take the time to listen to all of the billion or so people praying for dumb things that aren't really important? On top of watching everything everyone else does so that they can be properly punished after they bite the Big One.

Even if you assume a God with that kind of power, is He going to waste all His time worrying about all the little petty concerns that mean so much at the moment to so many people, but really mean so little on the Cosmic Scale?

I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong when I doubt the existence of an All Powerful Being, but I do doubt very much that They would worry about all those fervent entreaties for petty, personal gain.

So it's funny to see them praying like that, yes...

Djoser
05-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Just to clarify, LuckiCharm, I don't view this as any sort of argument with you at all--we're just having fun, to me...

JustJayda
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Dear Lord, I know ur busy, so nevermind, I'll find a way to get my new tushy on my own;(

Djoser
05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
You're gonna be in deep doo-doo, for that one--I can hear it now...

St. Peter to Jayda, "No chance, young lady, you're not getting anywhere near here after that post on StripperWeb, on the night of May 27th, 2006--it's written down right here, see? You can join Djoser in Hell, he's waiting for you, and the Devil has a big steel yardstick for both of you."

DJ Maimed
05-28-2006, 01:55 AM
hey Lillith, my gods wanted me to pass this note your gods;

you are ungodly cute!!

sorry, went to crawfish boil tonight,still feellin wicked!!!

mark45y
05-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Although Buddhism is a very old religion with many good ideals and philosophic principals most of the practicing Buddhist including the Monks can be relegated to some form of animism or good luck charms. Rarely do any practicing Buddhist follow the principles of Buddha or even know of their existence. Buddhism is a scam just like all other religions that is, supporting a clergy by dumb old women and pretending to offer immortal rewards.