PDA

View Full Version : T-mobile MDA

rusdancer
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my phone and the new T-Mobile MDA sounds real nice.It's considered a pocket PC,and has a big screen and a keyboard that slides.I also heard that this model is closer to european levels of phones than other ones on the market currently.
Has anyone got it yet?How do you like it and would you recommend it?How do you like "Hot Spots"?
They also requite to sign for 2 years to get discounts,do you think it's worth it?
Sorry for so many questions....

Chicagoeditor
07-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I'd go pick one up. My only worry is they are somewhat bulky. But if you tend to carry the device in a purse, may be a non issue.

Mastridonicus
07-18-2006, 09:50 PM
The screen in extended mode (opened up to show the keyboard) is prone to cracking with little pressure from the back of it, so make sure nothing's under it and watch your fingers while you use it.

Screen res is lower than it could be.

MAKE SURE it runs Windows Mobile 5.0 If they try to sell you Windows Pocket PC 2003 tell em to shove it. THEY ARE OUT THERE. Make sure you're looking.

It's a rebranded Seimens product the x series. Pretty stable, but the thing has certain pluses that garauntee it's use beyond the 2 years, if you don't break it :D

You're not a power user so no big deal.

But the slider is flimsy, BE CAREFUL.

It supports EDGE, So make sure your area has that. Edge means "Faster Internet"

Also there are tons upon tons of rom hacks. :D Too bad the MDA pro is only available overseas.

rusdancer
07-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Thank you very much for replying,guys!Mast,is there any way to put that in simple words so that I can understand better (sorry,I'm terrible with computers and similar electronics,and the terminology :-[ )? (Thank you in advance,you seem to be familiar with the phone).

Would I be able to take this thing to Moscow or anywhere else while travelling and use the internet?Just thought it would be more convinient than going to libraries,internet cafes or dragging the laptop.

Mastridonicus
07-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Well, probably not. T-Mobile is GSM (Global Standard for Mobile) and a friend of mine goes to Stockholm a lot with his Cell phone through them, and he's capable of using the phone and internet and all the features, but he came home to an 1800.00 cell bill.

The phone slides open. They mechanism that controls this is flimsy. Be careful.

When you buy the phone, have the technician show you the About information for the OS on it. (Say "What version of Windows Pocket PC is this?" If the answer is anything but "It's Windows Mobile 5.0" Leave. That's the newest version and this phone has versions with PocketPC 2003 on it AND versions with Mobile 5.0. Mobile 5.0 is newer. 2003 is depreciated.

Good luck. If you have questions. You may contact me. BTW I miss Madam's Organ :( what a fun place.

rusdancer
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info,Mast!That phone bill your friend got gave me a tiny shock....Whoa!!!

Well,I went and got the phone last monday and really like it so far,but still trying to figure it out.The quality of the sound at least is crystal clear and there are a ton of interesting features.

Madam's Organ,ey?That's a great place!I know the manager Mike very well,even though haven't been there a while.When did you go there?Feel free to PM me if yiou like.I'll be taking a break from the DC/NYC area for the next 2-3 months,starting friday,but let me know when you're in the area!

Thanks again!

Chicagoeditor
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Is there anything better than a sexy woman with brand-new technology!
Rus, where are you headed with the new phone gadget?

rusdancer
08-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Like I mentioned on the other side....going to AZ for vacation (then europe).Hope to meet some SW members out there!

lunchbox
08-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Call tmobile before you go and make sure they have really activated the international service. I had to find a call shop to call it in the first time I tried to use it outside the country.