PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux distribution?

smartcookie
08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I've decided this is the week that I'm starting my Linux education. I intend to convert a 2 year old PC laptop with an Intel CPU from Windows XP to Linux (I have a newer one). The laptop, after I get comfortable with Linux, will be used as a tool in my quest to become a non-expert-but-competent LAMPie. A friend gave me Ubuntu. Whaddya reckon is best for beginners?

Casual Observer
08-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry I missed this.

I'm playing with Xandros right now, though I keep reading great things about Ubuntu. If you're looking for ease of use on the desktop, either of these would be great. At the server end...I really only know RH and then just fundamental operating stuff.

PM Mast--he'll have a better idea.

Deogol
08-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Let us know how it went for you.

I recently dumped Red Hat for Suse.

If you want to do it for fun, that is one thing.

If you want to do it for a couple of bucks, I would learn around RH and Suse for sure.

jrswift
08-21-2006, 06:55 PM
I've come to really like Debian and it is a an excellent server distro (particularly the stable version) but, as the previous poster mentioned, learning a Red Hat or Novell distro is probably more lucrative. A good option is to look at installing a Red Hat Enterprise clone (CentOS is probably the best) because you will learn how that system works and avoid paying the tab for a full RHEL install. As far as making a living on Linux, Red Hat is the way to go.

rlams2000
10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I just loaded Ubuntu. It was simple and easy to install.

However, I cannot find the correct plugin to play DVDs and now when I try to watch videos on youtube.com the audio is lagging behing the video.