PDA

View Full Version : Israeli stage songs???

Zipporah
11-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have names of some good Israeli 'sexy' songs to dance on stage???

Thanx

Embyr
11-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Look up Ofra Haza on Limewire or another search.... she just died recently :'( . an AMAZING israeli singer known here for doing some songs on the Prince of Egypt soundtrack- sultry as hell, what vibrato... good luck... umm, what else.. Oh! this might be interesting- not Israeli per se, but certainly going along with your whole Jewish theme...

there is a band called the Klezmatics, kind of a modern Klezmer band, and I know they did a few tracks with NY's Skatalites (slower 2nd wave reggae-ska band)... that might be pretty cool.... klez-reggae sounding.

DancerWealth
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Wow...I didn't know she died. Her voice is absolutely awesome!

Embyr
11-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Obituary

Ofra Haza died in 2000 - the cause being widely reported as organ failure or pneumonia, arising from AIDS complications. Her family declined to confirm or deny these reports however, stating that it was Haza's wish that the matter should remain private. There was considerable media interest into the circumstances of her death.
After Haza's death was announced, Israeli radio stations played non-stop retrospectives of her music and Prime Minister Ehud Barak praised her work as a cultural emissary, commenting that she also represented the Israeli success story - "Ofra emerged from the Hatikvah slums to reach the peak of Israeli culture. She has left a mark on us all".

- from Wikipedia

yes- aids.... really tragic- what a beauty, too. wiki has some good song links of hers, though, incl. zeppelin's kashmir (that was news to me)

MrChristopher
11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Ofra Haza's vocals on the '92 version of "Temple Of Love" by the Sisters Of Mercy are what make it my fave version.

I can think of lots of "middle-eastern"-ish type songs, but I honestly have no experience whatsoever in Israeli songs. I know we did an "Arabian Nights" themed party once and one of the girls did a feature show to "Yulunga (Spirit Dance)" by Dead Can Dance in a belly dancer outfit and it was smoooooooookin' hot. I don't really think it would work on just a normal schmoe night though.