PDA

View Full Version : Selling a laptop for parts?

cherryripeboy
12-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Well I have a laptop, and the only thing I need to get it going again is a spacer for the HSF. Other than that the speaker ports on the mobo also need replacing. Now I've been trying to source a spacer for 3 months. I can't even get my hands on the thermal gum that might work....

So I'm thinking scrap the bugger and sell it as parts on ebay. Now I'd like a laptop, but I have other concerns at the moment. Does anyone think I'll get enough to justify the expense and loss of the unit? Compaq Preasrio 17xl482 with 256 mb ram 800mhz processor, cd/dvd rom, HD is 16gb etc. I have the original restore disks. I'm hoping for at least $300 once all the parts are sold.

Oh and the *only* reason this is not running is my lack of time, and inability to source a transfer compound that will allow the HSF to be 2 mm from the cpu, due to its design.

lunchbox
12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh and the *only* reason this is not running is my lack of time, and inability to source a transfer compound that will allow the HSF to be 2 mm from the cpu, due to its design.
That is a bizarre design. Leave it to the people who thought buying DEC was a good move...

yoda57us
12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
$300??? Sorry dude, it's a very expensive doorstop at this point, that's about it.

cherryripeboy
12-19-2006, 09:29 PM
^^ Total for the components, not laptop. That would be a big expensive door stop. The LCD usually fetches 60-190. A good mobo can go from 15 to 400 (400 is for factory refurbished)

gameover
12-30-2006, 08:54 AM
^^ Total for the components, not laptop. That would be a big expensive door stop. The LCD usually fetches 60-190. A good mobo can go from 15 to 400 (400 is for factory refurbished)

Sorry, you are dreaming. Even if that puppy was fully functional you couldn't get 300 for anything that old. It's even iffy as a doorstop :)

Your best bet is to get some lighter fluid and torch it--maybe you could make a movie out of it, and post it on youtube