PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me find a stud...?

Hot2Trot
03-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Okay, so this isn't a computer inquiry...

Didn't think it went in "General" though (it seemed random in there).

-> I am trying to find a stud to mount a wall clip, but here's the rub;

I can't find the stud ::blank face:: .

As I roll this thing over the wall to the right, the indicator light DOES NOT light up, right?

But then when I graze the wall in the opposite direction, same latitude, the light DOES turn on -

Oooooookay.

But then as I pass it over the wall it STAYS ON, indicating that there is a stud every inch for the whole width of the wall section that just read "no stud" ...

BUT when I run it in the opposite direction to confirm its location, the light turns OFF, indicating no stud:

I am stumped :thinking: .

My question to you fellas is:

W.T.F. :-\ ?

I felt pretty confident that perhaps someone here might have a little more experience than myself in this arena and might offer an idea :idea: ( <- Sorry it can't be blue guys; Ha ha).

I really appreciate any insight, being that I am not particularly keen on tearin up my walls ;) .

P.S. I own a Zircon iSensor (in case one of do also) and I am wondering if it is a poor choice for my endeavor. Does this thing give a bad reading, or is it me?

- Do any of you have this one? Is there a better one available on the market? What works for you ?

Thanks guys.

:flirt: .

xdamage
03-22-2007, 09:10 AM
No idea, I just use a cheap magnetic one. It's pretty simple. Studs are just 2x4s (or whatever size they use in your house) where they nail or screw the dry wall too. The magnetic stud finder just finds metal (a screw or a nail typically). When you find a bit metal, it's probably a nail or screw holding the dry wall to the stud. Then you just move the stud finder up and down to see if you find more nails/or screws. If so, you probably found a stud, if not, you found some random screw or nail that someone plastered over. Since dry wall is fairly flexible, you can often tap on it too to verify you found a stud, or if it sounds hollow, you found some random bit of metal.

It's really that simple.

Hot2Trot
03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
It's really that simple.

I figured, since the stud finder doesn't have any instructions on it; just a button ::) .

We've got wacky electrical wiring (it's probably a code violation, since it is a very Old structure) , so I just wanted to make sure and avoid hitting something, since once you penetrate the wall, you don't know what's behind it, ya know?

Thanks XDamage. Having been reassured now, if you would excuse me, I'm going to go mount wall clips ;).

:flirt:

I_luv_dancers!
03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a zircon stud finder. Works great, you just need to learn how to use it. Sounds like you may not be using it correctly.

First, find a place where there is no stud - you can do this by knocking on the wall. It will sound hollow where there's no stud, solid where there is a stud.

Place the studfinder on the wall in this space. Press the button and hold. Then sweep the finder across the wall slowly. The led will light at the edge of the stud and will go out when you've passed over it. Go slow and mark the points where the light comes on and goes out. That will roughly define where the stud lies.

As a last resort, I always say "RTFM".

http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/ScanAndSensor/iSensor/iSensorInstructions/iSensorInstructions.html

8TJ
03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
He has it. You have to calibrate it first and then get used to it. Make sure you mark the center of the light area.

The ones I have used will detect the stud slightly ahead of it so finding the center is crucial

threlayer
03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
In recently built buildings, the wallboard is 'glued' onto the studs (glue appled to the study) and then is wallboard is pressed inward while being nailed. In cheaply constructed place, the pressing in is mostly skipped and as a result the wallboard is not firmly attached to the stud from top to bottom.

The effect of this practice is to make it difficult for the stud finder to work reliably. Try the stud finder from left to right at various positions top to bottom of the stud region. When you find the light-on position mark it just when light comes on and when it goes off. Do this at each top to bottom position and you should eventally see a pattern emerging. you'll likely have to take a straightedge and level to find the most likely position of the stud borders.

Alternatively the magnetic stud-finder is easier.

Hot2Trot
03-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

I_luv_dancers! , 8TJ and threlayer, thanks. I appreciate all of your helpful advice.

I have yet to try your suggestions, since I wasn't able to get around to putting anything up yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

:flirt:

cherryripeboy
03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
If all else fails, cut a coat hanger, or small but sturdy wire, and use the fishing method. Studs are usually in certain places, depending on building code etc.

So just drill a tiny hole, stick your coat hanger through it, and fish for a bump or something. My mate and I used this a lot in Aussie, stud finder were expensive.

I have one here, and it was hard to get used to. I understand it now, best advice would be to play around with it, and many use it with the fishing method.

Ferret
12-04-2007, 11:50 AM
H2T has an exciting style of talk. *smiling*